• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DRT ammunition - have you heard of this new self-defense round?

open4years

imported post

I just learned of DRT ammunition via my latest Cheaper Than Dirt! catalog. I took a look at their website (http://drtammo.com) and it looks interesting. Do any of you have any knowledge and/or experience with this ammunition? If not, what are your thoughts?

open4years

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

open4years wrote:
I just learned of DRT ammunition via my latest Cheaper Than Dirt! catalog. I took a look at their website (drtammo.com) and it looks interesting. Do any of you have any knowledge and/or experience with this ammunition? If not, what are your thoughts?

open4years

Went and checked the site. I have problems with a company that cannot navigate English grammar
Our jackets have a concentricity of less than two tenths of one thousands. []

Our neck size is within one half of a thousand's on our brass cases. Our powder tolerance is within three tenths of a grain.[]
Of course, the lack of logic and failure to comply with established laws of physics and hydrodynamics also plays a part in my scepticism.
On impact with harder metals the powdered core disintegrates, thus no ricochet. When it penetrates a gel block or organic tissue, the hydrostatic shock of the soft material going into the hollow point actually makes the entire core projectile expand. There are no large chunks, just fine dust doing the terminal damage.
This product reminds me of that wonder-bullet that is advertized with the three ninjas. ;)

stay safe.

skidmark

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Just the name inspired my skepticism, Dead Right There ammo?

"Mr. Defendant, is it true that you have prepared for years to kill someone in an instance just like the one before us now? Why, then, do you carry an automatic pistol loaded with eleven rounds of Dead Right There hollow-point extreme pressure ammunition?"

Alexcabbie

imported post

The grammar Skidmark quoted sounds like the grammar on one of those packs of wooden chopsticks they give you at the sushi bar ("Here are chopstick for enjoy you nice Chinese food.....") If this stuff is Chinee, pitch it. They sell us poison toys and poisoned medicine, etc.; so it just follows that if they sell uss ammo - ammo! - then it probably WONT do the job.

nova

imported post

not to mention the one lady in their .pdf flyer has poor trigger finger disipline.

Walleye

imported post

I think it's bull. Unless they have some hard evidence (as Hornady did with their new Critical Defense rounds), I'm not buying it.

open4years

imported post

Walleye wrote:
I think it's bull. Unless they have some hard evidence (as Hornady did with their new Critical Defense rounds), I'm not buying it.

There appears to be no hard evidence. The closest thing is the catalog makingthis remark: "We have been asked not to tell stories of this ammobeing used in the big sand box, but the stories are getting out and the unheard of results have increased the demand for this one of a kind - the only ammo you ever need toown, DRT ammunition." Wow, I'm convinced!

The catalog (meaning they wish to sell this product) goes on to say that: "wounds are typically 5" deep and 5" wide." Are we to assume that this happens for 9mm or 7.62, or both?

Surely, someone, somewhere has done ballistic gelatin tests on this ammunition, can anyone find it? Does anyone have relatives in the "sand box" that can shed light on this magic bullet?

I'm sure that this ammunition will be banned if it performs as advertised. By that, I'm referring to the claim that it only leaves powder in the body of the person shot. No bullet left to be used as matching evidence with a barrel. I'm sure that somewhere, bad guys are getting mighty excited about this ammunition.

open4years

forever_frost

imported post

I know in the "big sand box" that we only fired rounds given to us. Hell, who would want to buy your own rounds when you go through so many? Any manufacturer that makes claims like that should make you run. Backwards. Fast.

Any company that can't even follow the rules of English, not to mention physics ... who actually falls for this?