• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Empty Holster

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Quick poll here. Has anyone ever just went straped your empty holster on that morning " On your day off of course" and went through your whole day with it there? If so did anyone even pay attention or did you raise some eyebrows? I,m thinking about doing this here in Vernon on Saturday to see what people think. I really dont think i will get much responce but in a town of 12,000 i might it's hard to say.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I have thought about doing this myself, but have a couple of concerns about it...
One: The Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - 'Empty Holster' is their 'earmark' isn't it? I wouldn't want to blur the lines (but I really don't see this as THAT big a deal..)
Two: The sight of an 'empty holster' could give 'ammo' to the 'floppy loose holster that a gun will fall out of' crowd.
Three: By having an 'empty' holster you are advertising that you are a gun toter, but without your gun! (weather or not you are CCing is somewhat irrelevant) and a BG may take undue notice (no, this is not the 'tactical' CC argument) and think that you are helpless UN armed!
Four: If you are CCing, the presence of an OC 'empty' holster could likely draw negative attn of LEOs...

Unless we were gathering as a group to make a statement I don't see benefit of individually walking around with an empty holster... If you DO decide to do this, PLEASE give a full detail! I'm not against it, but just can't see the good of it yet...

imported post

nking wrote:
Quick poll here. Has anyone ever just went straped your empty holster on that morning " On your day off of course" and went through your whole day with it there? If so did anyone even pay attention or did you raise some eyebrows? I,m thinking about doing this here in Vernon on Saturday to see what people think. I really dont think i will get much responce but in a town of 12,000 i might it's hard to say.

I flew across the US one time, with an empty shoulder hostler on.

Got some looks, especially when I went through Security. I just took of the shoulder holster and put it in the gray tub and went through the metal detector and then put it on again on the other side.

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Paladin_Havegun_Willtravel wrote:
nking wrote:

I flew across the US one time, with an empty shoulder hostler on.

Got some looks, especially when I went through Security. I just tool of the shoulder holster and put it in the gray tub and went through the metal detector and then put it on again on the other side.

I bet you did recieve some looks, and i'm sure that made quit a statement.

Gator you make some good points, however i think if people can get used to seeing the holster then it's not a shock and awe later down the road when it does become legal, it just becomes another day out grocery shopping.

By no means do i want send the wrong signal and i have the utmost respect of others. I do not know all of the LEO's in my community but i know them by face because it is such a small town. I was thinking that i don't believe that it would have that big of an effect here where i live because i know a ton of people here that CC so i would have to say i'm real curious as to their oppinions, anyways enough rambling. I will post the results.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Would a pocket gun down on the bottom of 'empty' holster be consealed?
Or clipped on the backside of holster. Use empty holster to hide bug.
Might be the last place to look for hidden gun for CC'ing.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nking wrote:
Quick poll here. Has anyone ever just went straped your empty holster on that morning " On your day off of course" and went through your whole day with it there?

Well...yes and no. Some months back I did go shopping at a couple of places (Wal-mart that I can remember) just to sample reactions. A couple of folks did cast their eyes on my holster but it did not disrupt our conversations.

I've thought about doing it again, this time equipped with OC literature similar to what some folks have described in OC legal states, specifically related to the OC bill for the 2009 Texas legislative session. Because I know that sometimes my communication skills fail me.

And yes, I was exercising the privilege afforded to me by my Texas CHL.

So, how did it gonking? Did you try it? When I did it I remember feeling weird like I was some mall ninja wannabe.

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Hahaha that is to funny, i wasnt able to attempt it today my Dad came into town and was going out to hunt all day so i was out in the field with him, and i did get to OC all day lol but it was on private property lol, im going to try a little tomorrow after church and see.

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Ok update on this. Wellafter church i changed out of my Sunday best and did my shoping at the local Wal-Mart with my empty paddle holster starp on in full view, and never even recieved a glance from anyone to my knowledge, it never even fazed anyone and to be quite honest i dont think anyone even knew, i mean people just mill around like cattle not even aware of their surroundings. This is something that really concerns me especially my wife, she is always oblivious to her surroundings and i get onto her often about this. Her reply " You watch people to much" uh duh. God has well lets say sometimes i refer to it as this given me the ability to never forget a face and sometimes it plauges me yes, but i am always aware of my surroundings at all times no matter where i am.

Well during my shopping i made my way back to the sporting goods section as it is near impossible for me to go to Wal-Mart without going back there, I think it's a GUY thing haha, but anyways, and purchased another box of S&W 40's and didnt even get a glance from the clerk their either. So on my first outing i would have to say it was great. I plan on doing this again in the future and will let ya'll know of the results.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I've done this before to my local HEB. I didn't really do this so much as a statement, but because I was open carrying around the house and didn't feel like taking off my holster to run to the store real quick. It was getting kind of late and there was a police officer standing outside talking with one of the guys from loss prevention. You can bet I got a long look from him as I entered and exited the store.

41mag

imported post

I for one would be interested to hear what your experience was when you do it. Vernon is not that far from where I live and I would love to know how well the experiment was received. You have my support. Thomas Jefferson president of these United States was a powerful advocate of an " armed citizenry". Uphold second ammendment rights before they are taken from the citizenry.