• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms Dealers - Local

Brimstone

imported post

Hi all. I recently found this forum and I have enjoyed reading through the local Utah posts here. I have a question regarding where you guys consider to be the best places to purchase(new)handguns in the SLC/Provo area. I live in the neighborhood right behind Cabela's, but I generally find them priced high. I have purchased some firearms from Gunnie's and I like the people there, but I was wondering if there is a well kept secret that I am not aware of.

Also, is there a dealer locally that gives a good rate on receiving shipments from out of state?

I am specifically looking to purchase a Springfield XD .45 in the near future and I will be checking the gun show this weekend, but I may end up ordering from out of state.

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

KSL can be a great tool for finding a good deal, if you have the time and patience to stay glued to your screen to find what you want.

If you want to support some of our pro-gun dealers, then places like FBMG and Vanwagenens are your friends. Norm's prices are nearly unbeatable, if he has what you want in stock.

If you insist on handing over your hard earned greenbacks to some anti-gunner (depending on your salesman) then places like Doug's, Cabela's, and Gunnies are available.

Then at the bottom of my list are the elitists. Places like Impact Guns, and Get Some are there for you if you need a "know it all" to spew some rhetoric your way. Also, be prepared to shell out a few extra clams for their "wealth of knowledge". :p

Brimstone

imported post

SGT Jensen - Thanks for your reply and a couple of questions:

1. What makes places like Gunnies "anti-gunner"? I have purchased a couple of shotguns there and found there prices good in comparison to other retailers. Do they have a policy in place that I am unaware of that makes them a place to be avoided?

2. I moved to Utah about five years ago from South Carolina and I am not familiar with Norm's or VanWagenens. I believe I have found an address for VanWagenens in Orem, but I have not been able to locate Norm's. Where are they located?

I have been checking KSL, but I am looking for a couple of specific models and the only ones listed are actually listed by Gunnies.

Thanks

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Norman is Mr. VanWagenen's first name. His business, VanWagenen Finance is indeed located in Orem.

I can't speak for Gunnies as a whole being anti-gun, but some of their employees definitely are. While I have never had a problem at Gunnies, a few members, such as thx997303, have had less than pleasant experiences there while carrying openly.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/10878.html

Brimstone

imported post

Well, I ended up purchasing a new Springfield XD .45c at the gun show this weekend. I look forward to spending some time at the range with it and open carrying it soon.

I also had time to speak with the guys at FBMG and I really appreciate the referral to those guys. Thanks for the advice.

41 Magnum

imported post

Disclaimer- I am one of the crew.

But I can tell you that the crew at FBMG don't mind open carry one bit. And if any of you've stopped by in the last little bit, you'll notice that we haven't ran prices of ARs or AKs through the roof post election either. Nor do we plan to.