• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No NPS regulstion published in Friday's Federal Register

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Please explain the "Midnight Rules scenario". Thanks.

stay safe.

skidmark

trailblazer2003

imported post

The midnight rule is a presidential power whereby the outgoing president can push though policy changes without congressional approval. As long as he publishes his list of rules to the Federal Registrar by midnight tonight, his changes are legal. While rules can be challenged, the task is often diffucult and lenghty. Ideally Bush could have told the NPS, to allow carry in the parks, and it would have happened. Guess we won't see any positive changes for a long time now.

KBCraig

imported post

trailblazer2003 wrote:
The midnight rule is a presidential power whereby the outgoing president can push though policy changes without congressional approval. As long as he publishes his list of rules to the Federal Registrar by midnight tonight, his changes are legal.
???

Congress doesn't "approve" the changes in the Federal Register. The Rules are made by the executive branch agencies, based on authority in laws passed by Congress. Once a proposal has gone through the public notice and comment period and a final Rule is issued, that's it.

Where did you get your information that Friday was some kind of cut-off date? Bush still controls the executive branch (in theory, at least) until Obama takes office. He could issue an order on January 19, and it would be valid unless/until overturned by Obama.

trailblazer2003

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
trailblazer2003 wrote:
The midnight rule is a presidential power whereby the outgoing president can push though policy changes without congressional approval. As long as he publishes his list of rules to the Federal Registrar by midnight tonight, his changes are legal.
???

Congress doesn't "approve" the changes in the Federal Register. The Rules are made by the executive branch agencies, based on authority in laws passed by Congress. Once a proposal has gone through the public notice and comment period and a final Rule is issued, that's it.

Where did you get your information that Friday was some kind of cut-off date? Bush still controls the executive branch (in theory, at least) until Obama takes office. He could issue an order on January 19, and it would be valid unless/until overturned by Obama.
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

I guess I jumbled what I read. Read somewhere that once changes are made, it takes 60 days for budgeting to catchup and enact said changes. By the time Obama would take over the chances for reversal of Bush's changes would be much harder.

Thundar

imported post

NPS is just trying to run out the clock. Very sad day for gun owners and the rule making process.

This sort of garbage is what we can expect from bureaucrats. Does NPS have any large office buildings in the VA suburbs of D.C.? We need an open carry protest.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

The last thing I heard from Webb's office wasthat they were told that OMB had the regulation for "imminent publication"

http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?ruleID=283420

Sure enough. Note that there is no 'deadline', final action listed as "11/00/2008" - ???

One thing iscertain, there are more games going on here than anybody not involved in the direct process will ever know.

Rather than post about it here, it would be far more effective to be contacting your rep & senator's offices (of course now they're out of session). Still, you need to put the heat on to change the regs through the appropriate venue.