• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to WY in June '09 - help!

vonu

imported post

BB62 wrote:
vonu wrote:
I would think that this specific language from the Wyoming Constitution might be helpful:
"§024. Right to bear arms.

The right of citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the state shall not be denied."
I would like to think so too, but that hasn't worked so well with the US Bill of Rights, eh?

This one is more specific and less convoluted than 2A, so is easier to argue.

Paladin

imported post

BB62 wrote:
The last time I was in WY was about 30 years ago - what a BEAUTIFUL state!

At that time we arrived in Cheyenne, and went to Grand Teton& Yellowstone NP, saw Devil's Tower and Mt. Rushmore, and I ate my first buffalo burger! I have VERY, VERY fond memories of the trip.

I want to expose my son to the greatness of the West, so we are planning a trip next June to the following places, and I would greatly appreciate alternate destinationsuggestions and OC advice:

Day 1 - Fly intoRapid City, IA (late in day)

Day 2 - Mt Rushmore (hiking?)

Day 3 - Deadwood (see bison?)

Day 4 - Devil's Tower (hiking?)

Day 5 - Sheridan

Day 6 - Cody

Day 7, 8 & 9 - Yellowstone (besides Old Faithful & the Falls - activity suggestions?)

Day 10 & 11 - Grand Teton (maybe a raft trip - other activity suggestions?)

Day 12 - Jackson

Day 13 - fly out of Jackson

There are two things I would love to do, but I'm not sure if there is the time: 1) see the Little Big Horn Battlefield, and 2) get to Casper for the Trail Museum and Guernsey to see the wagon wheel tracks (are there other places to see them?).

I would *greatly* appreciate suggestions/alternative destinations, andanything you think Ishould know about OCing in WY.

I've read over the past year's worth of WYthreads, and it sure seems like an OC paradise outside of Cheyenne and Jackson, but would appreciate advice otherwise.

If it can be arranged, I would love to meet one or more of you WY OCers.

Thank very muchfor any help and advice offered.
Day 1 – Fly into Rapid City, IA (late in day)

I would fly into Rapid City, SD. It’s a lot closer to Mt. Rushmore than Iowa. Go to Deadwood in the afternoon and evening. Just kidding about Iowa, but had to mention it.

Day 2 – Mt. Rushmore and Devils Tower on the way to Sheridan. It only takes so long to look them over. Figure an hour or so at DT.

Day 3 & 4– Once in Sheridan, take a look at the King Rope museum downtown. It’s free and not too big, but is real interesting. Much for the wife and kids to do if they tire of the museum. Lunch at the Sheridan Inn if it’s still open, if not, try Sanford’s downtown. It’s about 45 minutes or so to Crow Agency, Montana and Custer Battle Field. Worth the trip and you will be able to hike all you want there while going over the battle field. Plan on most of the day.

Day 4 & 5– Head to Casper. I have a buddy there that was the first one to take real hand built Conestoga wagons to Oregon in modern times. You can ride in hand built wagons (he made all of them) on part of the actual old Oregon Trail. There are several old forts and such to see in Casper. PM me if you want details. He does 1, 3, 5 or 7 day trips in the wagons. I don’t think he’s ever seen me without a sidearm on, so no problem there.

Alternate Day 5 – Head west over the Big Horns at Ranchester on the way to Cody. Go due west at Burgess Junction on Alt 14 and stop at the Medicine Wheel. More hiking than you will want, but worth the effort. The view from up there is grand, to say the least. The same when you get to the west side of the Big Horns and look out across the basin toward Cody.

Day 5 & 6– Head west out of Casper to Shoshoni. Don’t stop in Shoshoni at the Fast Stop – they are NOT GUN FRIENDLY. I open carried in that store for nearly 30 years until about 8 months ago. Another story. Turn right in Shoshoni north to Thermopolis and the Wind River Canyon – Awesome sights there. Thermop has the world’s largest mineral hot springs. Stay a day and soak up the “health benefits” of the mineral water. See the Dinosaur Museum and the African game animals at the Holiday Inn (ok, not a major tourist sight, but a nice exhibit).

Alternative Day 6 – Red Gulch Dinosaur Track Site between Greybull and Shell. Hiking and time spent traveling to and from.

Day 7 & 8– Cody. Plan on 2 days. The first day at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center – 5 museums under one roof. The Plains Indian Museum, Winchester Gun Museum, Western Art Museum (Remington, Russell, etc.), Museum of Natural History, and one other that slips my mind. The museum will ask you to remove your firearm, but they provide lockers to place it in so you don’t have to go back to the car. The rest of the day at the Irma Hotel and downtown shops. A gunfight in the street every evening, and a PRCA rodeo every night. White water raft down the Shoshone River with one of the outfitters there. If you make it on June 11-14, come to John Linebaugh’s Handgun Seminar and do some 750 yard pistol shooting.

Day 9, 10, & 11 – Yellowstone. Unless you already have reservations in the park, plan on staying either in Cody or Gardner, Montana. Chico Hot Springs is a neat old place. Plan on seeing a lot of taillights from the cars ahead of you while in Yellowstone, stopping every time some living thing gets near the road, or within eyesight of an eagle. Plan on spending a lot of time parked on the road.

Day 12 – Gran Teton Park & Jackson’s Hole. I haven’t spent much time there since there’s a lot of other things to do, I end up driving through and not even stopping. I don’t know if there is rafting there or not. As a matter of fact, I live 53 miles from the east gate of Yellowstone and haven’t been there in 20 years. Too many people during the summer and closed in the winter. Besides, there’s a no reason for me to go there as it’s a dead end unless you’re going to Jackson’s Hole as you are.

Day 13 – Fly away.

Don’t be concerned about open carrying anywhere. I’ve pointed out a couple of open carry items in the itinerary. If anyone should happen to bring anything up about your sidearm, simply remind them that Wyoming’s constitution allows unencumbered use of firearms, and we do in fact have a preemption law, regardless of what the current AG has to say about it.

I’ve OC’d all over the state for 30 years and can count on one hand the questions/problems I’ve had, and those should be in a separate post since some may be worth repeating.

I hope this helps. I live in Cody and you won't have a problem OC'ing there. There are several of us that OC. I do it every day, and have been in almost every business in town at one time or another. It's just not an issue.

Any questions, feel free to PM.

Have a good trip,
David

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Paladin wrote:
BB62 wrote:
The last time I was in WY was about 30 years ago - what a BEAUTIFUL state!...

...I want to expose my son to the greatness of the West, so we are planning a trip next June to the following places, and I would greatly appreciate alternate destinationsuggestions and OC advice:

Day 1 - Fly intoRapid City, IA (late in day)...
Day 1 – Fly into Rapid City, IA (late in day)

I would fly into Rapid City, SD. It’s a lot closer to Mt. Rushmore than Iowa. Go to Deadwood in the afternoon and evening. Just kidding about Iowa, but had to mention it....

ROFL!

Hey, I had my heart set on IA, but I guess you're right! hehe

Well, atleast ONE person read my post carefully. :)

Thanks for the suggestions -I very much appreciate them. I will PM you, hopefully this week.