• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hunting on private property

--==Dave==--

imported post

Hello Everyone!

1st, wonderful site you have here full of great information. I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to register since I have a question and most here seem very knowledgeable on the letter of the law.

I'll be hunting down in Spotsylvania Country next week, the hunt club I'll be with has access to a few hundred acres scattered across several different owners.

If possible I would like to take a sidearm with me in addition to my long gun. If today is any indication I plan on it being pretty darn cold and was wondering if open carry is required on private property even if it is not my own and I don't have explicit permission to carry concealed (I do carry a card however granting permission to hunt on said property).

So...If the weather is cold and I'msuited up in a heavy coat, will I have a problem with mysidearm not in plain view, or is it advisable to purchase a drop leg holsterorfigure out another wayto have the handgunvisible?

I know on my own property I can do as I wish, but since this is not my land I want to make sure I'm in the clear.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

vrwmiller

imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

IANAL! This is all I could find on carrying concealed while hunting. There may be more laws and regulations, so don't take this as gospel.

In my experience, it is unlawful to conceal a firearm while hunting during General Firearms season (which just started last weekend), even if you do possess a CHP (or CCW that VA recognizes). There is an exception detailed in § 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry that indicates one may be exempt if one fits this exemption:

6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit;
Additionally, The VA Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries regulations also has this to say about carrying a concealed handgun:

Concealed handguns may be in the possession of hunters during the archery and muzzleloading seasons when they also possess a valid concealed handgun permit. Such handguns may not be used to shoot wild animals during these seasons.
Note that it does not mention it is accepted during general firearms season.

That said...

Spotsylvania is not too far from where I hunt and next week should be better, as far as temperature goes, for hunting. From what I have seen, there will be highs in the mid-40s. Possibly rain on Monday and Tuesday, but clear the remainder of the week.

I was out today and the temps were nice (in the upper 30s), but damn cold due to the 20mph winds (my face and ears are windchapped right now after having been out in it all day).

Good luck next week!

--==Dave==--

imported post

No bubble to burst here...

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information! Exactly what I was looking for.

Yeah,Spotsylvania allows for centerfire so I'll stick with the 30-06 and make sure the sidearm is fully visible.

Best of luck to you too, vrwmillerfor the rest of the season! I was out last week for the opener and the group took three nice bucks, but all I managed to see the whole day was adecent sized doe on the run. Can't wait to stock my freezer full of venison and hook some friends at the office up with some summer sausage!

Thanks again,

Dave

mobeewan

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Welcome to OCDO!

IANAL! This is all I could find on carrying concealed while hunting. There may be more laws and regulations, so don't take this as gospel.

In my experience, it is unlawful to conceal a firearm while hunting during General Firearms season (which just started last weekend), even if you do possess a CHP (or CCW that VA recognizes). There is an exception detailed in § 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry that indicates one may be exempt if one fits this exemption:

6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit;
Additionally, The VA Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries regulations also has this to say about carrying a concealed handgun:

Concealed handguns may be in the possession of hunters during the archery and muzzleloading seasons when they also possess a valid concealed handgun permit. Such handguns may not be used to shoot wild animals during these seasons.
Note that it does not mention it is accepted during general firearms season.

That said...

Spotsylvania is not too far from where I hunt and next week should be better, as far as temperature goes, for hunting. From what I have seen, there will be highs in the mid-40s. Possibly rain on Monday and Tuesday, but clear the remainder of the week.

I was out today and the temps were nice (in the upper 30s), but damn cold due to the 20mph winds (my face and ears are windchapped right now after having been out in it all day).

Good luck next week!

§ 18.2-308. B. 6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit;

Carry laws have always allowed for the protection (covering)of firearms during bad weather. 18.2-308. B. 6. was amended a couple years ago to allow concealed carry of pistols for those with CHPs even during the general firearms season.