• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marshall County CC Permits

gunrat

imported post

Just got my Marshall county cc permit I had a Madison Co...whats up with himsaying its only valid in alabama and doesnt permit you to carry a gunopenly. How come the sheriff makes a point to print all of that???Its time someone tells him he doesnt make state law....Whats up with them printing my whole soc number on it that should be up to me

acrimsontide

imported post

gunrat wrote:
Just got my Marshall county cc permit I had a Madison Co...whats up with himsaying its only valid in alabama and doesnt permit you to carry a gunopenly. How come the sheriff makes a point to print all of that???Its time someone tells him he doesnt make state law....Whats up with them printing my whole soc number on it that should be up to me
He doesn't make state laws BUT UNFORTUNATELY, Alabama is a MAY ISSUE state and the sheriffs make the decision. May not be right, but it is what it is!!

rmodel65

imported post

why did you give them your social security number? i know here in GA due to http://www.georgiacarry.org its no longer required, they sued the state and won

Section 7(a)(1) of the Privacy Act provides th 2 at “t shall be unlawful for any Federal,
State, or local government agency to deny to any individual any right, benefit, or privilege
provided by law because of such individual’s refusal to disclose his social security account
number.” Privacy Act of 1974, Pub. L. No. 93-579, § 7(a)(1), 88 Stat. 1896, 1909 (codified as
amended at 5 U.S.C. § 552a (note)).

gunrat

imported post

My concern is he is making rules that are in conflict with state laws. Why not a standard permit that references Alabama law other than the sheriffs opinion.

kurtmax_0

imported post

I don't see what the problem is. The permit is only 'valid' in Alabama. Other states can accept or not accept it at their whim.

Also, the permit doesn't permit Open Carry because you don't need one in the first place to do so. It's a play on words...

gunrat

imported post

well my otherpermit listed the states that i could carry in. He is making a point to to say Alabama only. I know its legal to oc but his last statement said my cc will be void if I do and subject to arrest. I just think when I signed my permit I accepted his BS....Guess I'll just have to wait on the next election and support a new sheriff....

Daddyo

imported post

Carry openly anyway if you desire and in reciprocal states as well. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, even for a sheriff. I'm sure J. Scott Hooper would be happy to explain it to him in court if need be.

Detour

imported post

Yep thats Marshall county for ya....Im dealing with this issue right now on open carry and on the back of my permit it said ( This permit does not give you the right to carry open ) and they are right this permit doesnt give me the right to carry open the 2nd amendment does and no permit is needed.

Im in Marshall Co as well and the S.O. doesnt want anyone to ocw here and if you do it they will pull that permit as they did with me..

Detour

imported post

gunrat wrote:

IfI am right I think on the paper work to get your permit it ask if you want you SS number on it... I maybe wrong..

but anyway they have pulled mine 2 times for open carry first time it was because they said it was illegal but after a call to the D.A. of the county and the D.A telling them it is legal to ocw in Alabama they returned it but to only pull it again to say it alarms the public..

SlackwareRobert

imported post

I love the last line (6) that if I violate any of the above I will be arrested
for carrying a concealed firearm. How this will stick if I violate
number one and carry open is beyond me.

But the nerve of sheriff saying I can't carry in those establishments
that sneak alchohol under the table in this dry county.

Detour

imported post

wellI have ocw for 6 months and had 10 different LEO question me and only 2 have had a say in my permit beeing pulled.

I got it back the first time after they found it was legal to ocw then the second time a LEO in my city took it from me and now they say well its alarming the public and ive not had any civi calls on me for 1032 (man with gun ) not the first call..

All my encounters have been with LEO that were already at the place of business I was at. I was never arrested and only had my weapon took from me the last time butI did get it back 3 days later but no permit and was toldI would never get back a permit in this county for ocw..

gunrat

imported post

I'm outside of Arab...wish I was in another county. I have another house in Madison Co think i'm going to change my DL to that address and screw Marshall Co....

Detour

imported post

yeh gun rat im looking at buying a lil thing of land in another co myself and registering to vote in the other co and getting DL in that county as well... Then when I ocw they will have to arrest me cause i dont have to show them my permit if im on foot unless they pull me over then ill have to show it.

I now knowI dont even have to talk to them if they approch me and ask me ifI am a cop or what are you doing with that weapon or you cant carry that way.

I am just going to ask the LEO am I being detained and if so can he articulate the crime he is investigateing. If notI chose not to talk to you Mr LEO and ill walk away

KillBoxAlpha

imported post

Detour wrote:
yeh gun rat im looking at buying a lil thing of land in another co myself and registering to vote in the other co and getting DL in that county as well... Then when I ocw they will have to arrest me cause i dont have to show them my permit if im on foot unless they pull me over then ill have to show it.

I now knowI dont even have to talk to them if they approch me and ask me ifI am a cop or what are you doing with that weapon or you cant carry that way.

I am just going to ask the LEO am I being detained and if so can he articulate the crime he is investigateing. If notI chose not to talk to you Mr LEO and ill walk away

Good job man