• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Modification of firearms....

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I know the common restrictions of FA, and barrell length...

Is there anything that would prevent me , legally speaking, from designing a product that would allow an external magazine instead of an internal one, like is available for the SKS?

I want to find a way to make the Nagant hold at least 10 rounds, if not more.... It would seem to me that a modification of the sill plate, and a magazine with a spring on the bottom, would meet that need.... After a bit of custom machining...

Anything that I might do to run afoul of federal firearms laws?

I'd rather not break the law over something silly like that....

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

To start make sure your state doesn't have a round restriction. There is many states that have a max 10rd law. Other then that I don't see a problem, The courts might scrutinize if it ever goes to court because you had to dispatch someone.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

murphyslaw wrote:
To start make sure your state doesn't have a round restriction. There is many states that have a max 10rd law. Other then that I don't see a problem, The courts might scrutinize if it ever goes to court because you had to dispatch someone.
If I ever need more than 5 rounds out of a mosin, courts will be the last thing I'm worried bout, hehe..

I'm just thinking bout time between reloads....

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
murphyslaw wrote:
If I ever need more than 5 rounds out of a mosin, courts will be the last thing I'm worried bout, hehe..

I'm just thinking bout time between reloads....
If more than 5 rds of ANYTHING are ever NEEDED in that respect, then I am with you on your sentiment of worrying about the courts!
Of course that doesn't keep me from keeping a full clip and a backup...

zoom6zoom

imported post

In this example, you're not modifying the way the firearm operates, only the capacity of the feeding device. No different from taking a 30 round mag out of an AK and snapping in a 75 round drum. Perhaps a better comparison would be the extended "trench magazine" that was made for the K98 Mausers - very rare accessory, but does basically what you're talking about.

Other than the totally arbitrary length requirements, ATF would primarily be concerned if you were attempting to convert to full auto or select fire, or from closed to open bolt operation.

The other way to get a Nagant type rifle to fire ten rounds is to do the same thing the Russians did... upgrade to the SVT-40. Of course, you can buy ten or more Nagants for the same price...