• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Greater Cincinnati

OCinOHIO

imported post

This may have been talked about before but I need some info. I am looking to start OC in the Greater Cincinnati Area. Mainly in Clermont County Eastgate Area but i dont want to be limited there.

1. Are there any laws against OC in these areas?
  2. Is there any resource for OC people with rules?
  3. The CC Handbook states that OC is "legal", what are the rules?
Thanks in Advance...

OC | in | OH

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

You did not state a location in your profile, but Clermont County Eastgate Area is a dead give away.

Your number 3 answers number 1.
You need to read Ohio supreme Court case OFCC v. Clyde.
Link http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/rod/docs/pdf/0/2008/2008-ohio-4605.pdf

What kind of rules you looking for? I think you don't want to carry until you know the law and your rights.

Hef

imported post

I have been OC'ing in the Cincinnati area while visiting my wife's family here for Thanksgiving. We are in Fairfield, and have been out and about in the area with no trouble. I open carried my 1911 at the Tri-County Mall on Black Friday for 5 hours without so much as a dirty look.

For the OH guys, I know UDF is supposedly a "no-carry" zone, but the UDF on Dixie Highway at Nilles isn't posted in any way. I looked very carefully for any sort of sign.

Deanimator

imported post

Hef wrote:
I have been OC'ing in the Cincinnati area while visiting my wife's family here for Thanksgiving. We are in Fairfield, and have been out and about in the area with no trouble. I open carried my 1911 at the Tri-County Mall on Black Friday for 5 hours without so much as a dirty look.

For the OH guys, I know UDF is supposedly a "no-carry" zone, but the UDF on Dixie Highway at Nilles isn't posted in any way. I looked very carefully for any sort of sign.
If it's not a statutory CPZ (liquor by the drink, etc.) and it's not posted, it's not a CPZ.

Hef

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
Hef wrote:

If it's not a statutory CPZ (liquor by the drink, etc.) and it's not posted, it's not a CPZ.
That's my understanding of the law, but I've never been to a UDF, and have only read here that UDF is posted. Maybe only some UDF's are posted?

JSK333

imported post

99% of the time I have OC'ed in Cincy, there have been no issues. The only time was when I missed a microscopic "no weapons" on a Mall's rules sign. That was before our CHL law too.

It would be surprising if that UDF weren't posted. I've found that their signs are very small and almost completely transparent, usually on the glass to one side of the door. Very hard to see unless you're looking very hard for them. But I don't even bother trying any of their stores anymore since I know the owner is behind the signs.

As for OC rules, it is legal anywhere that firearms are not specifically banned by law. Those places include sheriff/police stations, courthouses, mental hospitals, any room where liquor is served under a D permit. But you should research the Ohio Revised Code for yourself and/or consult a lawyer if you want a professional legal opinion.