Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Thoughts on people who are submissive to gun buy backs?

  1. #1
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Recently, there has been a number of gun buyback programs in different states, what are your thoughts on people who turn in their gun for a prize?

    Personally, I think they're the gun owners who do give us all a bad name, and are the ones who meet the headlines when a kid shoots himself because his parents/grandparents didn't put the firearm(s) in a safe location.

    I've posted a few examples below, I think gun buy backs may be a good idea, it keeps guns out of hands of incompetant morons.

    Now, if they only had vehicle buy backs for the same morons. :quirky

    http://www.ohio.com/news/ap?articleID=1144789&c=y
    (Akron, Ohio)
    "Marlayna McKinley-Harmon, 62, and her husband, Kenneth Harmon, 57, of Akron, brought in two handguns _ a .32-caliber pistol and a .25-caliber pistol _ because they don't want their 5-year-old grandson to 'get a hold of it.'"


    http://cbs4.com/local/south.florida.gun.2.871396.html
    (Mctyre Park, Florida)
    "Raymond James says one of his guns, a 22-caliber pistol, was just gathering dust. 'A buddy of mine gave it to me about 20 years ago and I kept it around for such a long time that I just misplaced it and then I found it, so I'm glad this meeting came about otherwise I'd still have it.'"

    http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008...buyback_n.html
    (Cleveland, Ohio)
    ""I have grandbabies, and I don't want them to find something around the house that could hurt them," Sadler said."
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    These sound like people that would rather shirk responsibility than take precautions to prevent the rug rats from getting hold of their guns.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Posts
    161

    Post imported post

    Task Force 16 wrote:
    These sound like people that would rather shirk responsibility than take precautions to prevent the rug rats from getting hold of their guns.
    Yeah, God forbid that the kiddies are taught about guns. I agree with insane.kangaroo, these folks don't need to be around guns, I suddenly feel safer now knowing they no longer have them around.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    The basic idea behind gun buy backs is that people don't kill people, guns kill people. Therefore, anyone particiapting in one (aside from people dumping junk) is an idiot.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    A submissive idiot.

  6. #6
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    The term , "gun buy backs" is an oxymoron because the gun was not purchased from the governmental agency "buying it back". Therefore it is a non-existent thing. But here is something that I have wondered for a while now about this craziness.

    I would bet that occasionally, a few of the guns turned in for money were stolen just for this reason. Some enterprising criminal(s) got some guns illegally, then turned them in, no questions asked of course, for their $50 or $100 prize.

    Wouldn't this make the police, and perhaps the mayor, guilty of aiding and abetting or of receiving stolen property? Could they not be arrested and charge for one or both of these felonies?

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,764

    Post imported post

    ""I have grandbabies, and I don't want them to find something around the house that could hurt them," Sadler said."
    So, now we need government intervention (buybacks) for everything that could hurt them?

    Lets's see.....

    Cleaning products could hurt them. We lock them away and watch the youngsters.
    Cars could hurt them - we lock them, pocket the key, and watch the youngsters.
    Aspirin could hurt them - we store it properly, and watch the youngsters.
    The stove could hurt them - we turn it off, and watch the youngsters.

    Anyone starting to see a pattern?
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy makes a good point that I want to piggyback on. If any of thefirearms are confirmed to be stolen; do they return them to their rightful owner? My guess would be that returning firearms to their rightful owners is not a priority or standard operating procedure of some of those localities.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  9. #9
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy wrote:
    The term , "gun buy backs" is an oxymoron because the gun was not purchased from the governmental agency "buying it back".
    You're absolutely right, what I should've put in the title is how I refer to the "buy-backs". I tend to call them, "Constitutional right buy-offs." They're paying citizens to give up their rights to arms.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    716

    Post imported post

    T Dubya wrote:
    SouthernBoy makes a good point that I want to piggyback on. If any of thefirearms are confirmed to be stolen; do they return them to their rightful owner? My guess would be that returning firearms to their rightful owners is not a priority or standard operating procedure of some of those localities.
    In every case that I have heard of, no effort is made to track the history of the gun, it is simply thrown into the pile and destroyed.

    I have heard a FFL holder saying that he wanted to go down the line before the people turned them in and offer more money for anything worthwhile. Sometimes people do turn in valuable items. In one case it was an authentic Civil War era cap and ball revolver (can't remember what kind) still in working order,that was sent to be destroyed. This should have been in a museum or collection. It had been found in the attic of a dead relative and the current owner didn't realize what it was. They got all of $150 for it, and it was melted down with all of the others.

    On the other hand, if you can find a non-functioning piece of garbage forlittle or nothing,turn it in for the money and use it as a down payment for somethng that you want.:celebrate Not exactly what the program was meant for, but why not use it against them.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    190

    Post imported post

    these programs are used mostly by criminals. they get the cash and either steal or find another gun

  12. #12
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    Gordie wrote:
    T Dubya wrote:
    SouthernBoy makes a good point that I want to piggyback on. If any of thefirearms are confirmed to be stolen; do they return them to their rightful owner? My guess would be that returning firearms to their rightful owners is not a priority or standard operating procedure of some of those localities.
    In every case that I have heard of, no effort is made to track the history of the gun, it is simply thrown into the pile and destroyed.

    I have heard a FFL holder saying that he wanted to go down the line before the people turned them in and offer more money for anything worthwhile. Sometimes people do turn in valuable items. In one case it was an authentic Civil War era cap and ball revolver (can't remember what kind) still in working order,that was sent to be destroyed. This should have been in a museum or collection. It had been found in the attic of a dead relative and the current owner didn't realize what it was. They got all of $150 for it, and it was melted down with all of the others.

    On the other hand, if you can find a non-functioning piece of garbage forlittle or nothing,turn it in for the money and use it as a down payment for somethng that you want.:celebrate Not exactly what the program was meant for, but why not use it against them.
    Seems a while back, I read somewhere of some private citizens who did just that. They intercepted people heading to the drop off point to see what they had and if good, to make them an offer. As I recall, it really steamed the police, but in reality, I don't think there's anything the police can do about it can they?

    And finally, this is our money.. not the city's or town's or county's or whatever. Where do they get off spending our money on things as foolish as "gun buy back" programs?

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,764

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy wrote:
    And finally, this is our money.. not the city's or town's or county's or whatever. Where do they get off spending our money on things as foolish as "gun buy back" programs?
    Agree with you about not spending our tax money.

    Some localities have gotten hip to the fact taxpayers don't want to do this, so they allow corporations to bankroll the events.

    If you see buybacks, dig until you KNOW who's paying, and vote with your wallet.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    If a private citizen offered a "no questions asked" buy back program, and they took in stolen guns, they'd be arrested for recieving stollen property. Amazing how the government can get away with illegal activities and we can't.

  15. #15
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    Task Force 16 wrote:
    If a private citizen offered a "no questions asked" buy back program, and they took in stolen guns, they'd be arrested for recieving stollen property. Amazing how the government can get away with illegal activities and we can't.
    Exactly. We'd be hosed. They break the law (good Lord, so many ways and times), but we do something like that and we get the book thrown at us.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ParkHills, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    GumiBear wrote:
    Task Force 16 wrote:
    These sound like people that would rather shirk responsibility than take precautions to prevent the rug rats from getting hold of their guns.
    Yeah, God forbid that the kiddies are taught about guns. I agree with insane.kangaroo, these folks don't need to be around guns, I suddenly feel safer now knowing they no longer have them around.
    here! here!

  17. #17
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    The first time DC held a gun buy-back they offered $100 per gun AND WERE ACCEPTING PELLET GUNS. I was up $300 by the time it was over. Suckers.......:celebrate

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    Alexcabbie wrote:
    The first time DC held a gun buy-back they offered $100 per gun AND WERE ACCEPTING PELLET GUNS. I was up $300 by the time it was over. Suckers.......:celebrate
    That is what I always thought about. If they had a gun buy back, I would pick up every old useless firearm I could find and trade it in.

    I believe it was NY that had a $200.00 per gun buy back. Hell...I could pick up 30 guns tomorrow that cost me less than that.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    92

    Post imported post

    Back in 1982, DC did a gun buy back program; the gang bangers all turned in their old revolvers and went to Virginia. In Virginia, they all got 9mm semiautomatic pistols.

    See? Gun buy backs do work!

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,000

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy wrote:
    The term , "gun buy backs" is an oxymoron because the gun was not purchased from the governmental agency "buying it back". Therefore it is a non-existent thing. But here is something that I have wondered for a while now about this craziness.

    I would bet that occasionally, a few of the guns turned in for money were stolen just for this reason. Some enterprising criminal(s) got some guns illegally, then turned them in, no questions asked of course, for their $50 or $100 prize.

    Wouldn't this make the police, and perhaps the mayor, guilty of aiding and abetting or of receiving stolen property? Could they not be arrested and charge for one or both of these felonies?
    It's a buy-back in the sense there are two groups... the buyers and everyone else. The buyers get them from everyone else. The buy-backs are occurring because the everyone else group is buying them back from the buyers.

    Twisted logic for sure. But this is typical of government after all.

  21. #21
    Regular Member 1000ydshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
    Posts
    173

    Post imported post

    How about another twist on "Gun Buy Backs".Since someone did not buy the weapon the are turing in from said government agency,should a back ground check have tobe done before it can be "sold back" (this is assuming that the gun show loophole is closed).


    FREEDOM ISNT FREE. BUT THE UNITED STATES MARINES ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY YOUR SHARE!!

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,000

    Post imported post

    Here's something to add to that (especially if they make it that all sales must have a background check)...

    How can we be sure the people running the gun buyback are legally able to receive firearms?

  23. #23
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,713

    Post imported post

    I think some people who do it are exploiting them by getting rid of their $50 Jennings and getting $200 in return, and others are crooks who stole guns and now have a way to get money for them no questions asked giving them further incentive to steal even more guns. In some cases they could be turning in zip guns that cost $5 to make, or worthless rusted guns that haven't worked in a decade.

    In other cases, people who are tooignorant to know their guns are worth far more than the buyback price give them to the buyback rather than selling it. Many of these people probably inherited them. That or they are too lazy to try and sell them despite that they may get better deals just by offering them to a gun dealer.

    Maybe one or two people turn them in because they believe guns are bad and they'd rather have the gun melted down than make more money by selling it.

    Basically, I think the buybacks are stupid, all around. A total waste of public resources.

    I'm sure the Brady Campaign likes the idea of crooks stealing guns from people and then the publicpaying them to have them melted down. They couldn't convince the government to confiscate them, so why not pay people to steal them?

  24. #24
    Regular Member shad0wfax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,067

    Post imported post

    Alexcabbie wrote:
    The first time DC held a gun buy-back they offered $100 per gun AND WERE ACCEPTING PELLET GUNS. I was up $300 by the time it was over. Suckers.......:celebrate
    Yeah, and thensome enterprising guy figures out he can illegally manufacture single-shot "zip-guns" that may or may not even fire for about $15 a piece and get $100 from the buyback morons.

    As long as buybacks are offering 100% amnesty and not checking the value or functionality of the firearms, they're just throwing money at criminals.

  25. #25
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    homemade firearms are legal to make in many jurisdictions as long as they are for personal use. For example, bending a receiver flat to build a legal semi auto AK. I'm planning to do that soon, but I can't sell it without going through some hoops.

    So it is also legal to make "zip guns" in many places. Washington State has no laws against that, provided it is in an otherwise legal configuration. If Seattle ever has a "buy back" again, I'm building me some black powder guns out of gas pipe! LOL:P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •