• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts on people who are submissive to gun buy backs?

david.ross

imported post

Recently, there has been a number of gun buyback programs in different states, what are your thoughts on people who turn in their gun for a prize?

Personally, I think they're the gun owners who do give us all a bad name, and are the ones who meet the headlines when a kid shoots himself because his parents/grandparents didn't put the firearm(s) in a safe location.

I've posted a few examples below, I think gun buy backs may be a good idea, it keeps guns out of hands of incompetant morons.

Now, if they only had vehicle buy backs for the same morons. :quirky

http://www.ohio.com/news/ap?articleID=1144789&c=y
(Akron, Ohio)
"Marlayna McKinley-Harmon, 62, and her husband, Kenneth Harmon, 57, of Akron, brought in two handguns _ a .32-caliber pistol and a .25-caliber pistol _ because they don't want their 5-year-old grandson to 'get a hold of it.'"

http://cbs4.com/local/south.florida.gun.2.871396.html
(Mctyre Park, Florida)
"Raymond James says one of his guns, a 22-caliber pistol, was just gathering dust. 'A buddy of mine gave it to me about 20 years ago and I kept it around for such a long time that I just misplaced it and then I found it, so I'm glad this meeting came about otherwise I'd still have it.'"

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/11/cleveland_police_gun_buyback_n.html
(Cleveland, Ohio)
""I have grandbabies, and I don't want them to find something around the house that could hurt them," Sadler said."

GumiBear

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
These sound like people that would rather shirk responsibility than take precautions to prevent the rug rats from getting hold of their guns.
Yeah, God forbid that the kiddies are taught about guns. I agree with insane.kangaroo, these folks don't need to be around guns, I suddenly feel safer now knowing they no longer have them around.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

The basic idea behind gun buy backs is that people don't kill people, guns kill people. Therefore, anyone particiapting in one (aside from people dumping junk) is an idiot.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

The term , "gun buy backs" is an oxymoron because the gun was not purchased from the governmental agency "buying it back". Therefore it is a non-existent thing. But here is something that I have wondered for a while now about this craziness.

I would bet that occasionally, a few of the guns turned in for money were stolen just for this reason. Some enterprising criminal(s) got some guns illegally, then turned them in, no questions asked of course, for their $50 or $100 prize.

Wouldn't this make the police, and perhaps the mayor, guilty of aiding and abetting or of receiving stolen property? Could they not be arrested and charge for one or both of these felonies?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

""I have grandbabies, and I don't want them to find something around the house that could hurt them," Sadler said."

So, now we need government intervention (buybacks) for everything that could hurt them?

Lets's see.....

Cleaning products could hurt them. We lock them away and watch the youngsters.
Cars could hurt them - we lock them, pocket the key, and watch the youngsters.
Aspirin could hurt them - we store it properly, and watch the youngsters.
The stove could hurt them - we turn it off, and watch the youngsters.

Anyone starting to see a pattern?

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy makes a good point that I want to piggyback on. If any of thefirearms are confirmed to be stolen; do they return them to their rightful owner? My guess would be that returning firearms to their rightful owners is not a priority or standard operating procedure of some of those localities.

david.ross

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
The term , "gun buy backs" is an oxymoron because the gun was not purchased from the governmental agency "buying it back".
You're absolutely right, what I should've put in the title is how I refer to the "buy-backs". I tend to call them, "Constitutional right buy-offs." They're paying citizens to give up their rights to arms.

Gordie

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
SouthernBoy makes a good point that I want to piggyback on. If any of thefirearms are confirmed to be stolen; do they return them to their rightful owner? My guess would be that returning firearms to their rightful owners is not a priority or standard operating procedure of some of those localities.

In every case that I have heard of, no effort is made to track the history of the gun, it is simply thrown into the pile and destroyed.:cuss:

I have heard a FFL holder saying that he wanted to go down the line before the people turned them in and offer more money for anything worthwhile. Sometimes people do turn in valuable items. In one case it was an authentic Civil War era cap and ball revolver (can't remember what kind) still in working order,that was sent to be destroyed. This should have been in a museum or collection. It had been found in the attic of a dead relative and the current owner didn't realize what it was. They got all of $150 for it, and it was melted down with all of the others.:cry:

On the other hand, if you can find a non-functioning piece of garbage forlittle or nothing,turn it in for the money and use it as a down payment for somethng that you want.:celebrate Not exactly what the program was meant for, but why not use it against them.

mrbiggles

Banned
imported post

these programs are used mostly by criminals. they get the cash and either steal or find another gun

SouthernBoy

imported post

Gordie wrote:
T Dubya wrote:

In every case that I have heard of, no effort is made to track the history of the gun, it is simply thrown into the pile and destroyed.:cuss:

I have heard a FFL holder saying that he wanted to go down the line before the people turned them in and offer more money for anything worthwhile. Sometimes people do turn in valuable items. In one case it was an authentic Civil War era cap and ball revolver (can't remember what kind) still in working order,that was sent to be destroyed. This should have been in a museum or collection. It had been found in the attic of a dead relative and the current owner didn't realize what it was. They got all of $150 for it, and it was melted down with all of the others.:cry:

On the other hand, if you can find a non-functioning piece of garbage forlittle or nothing,turn it in for the money and use it as a down payment for somethng that you want.:celebrate Not exactly what the program was meant for, but why not use it against them.
Seems a while back, I read somewhere of some private citizens who did just that. They intercepted people heading to the drop off point to see what they had and if good, to make them an offer. As I recall, it really steamed the police, but in reality, I don't think there's anything the police can do about it can they?

And finally, this is our money.. not the city's or town's or county's or whatever. Where do they get off spending our money on things as foolish as "gun buy back" programs?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
And finally, this is our money.. not the city's or town's or county's or whatever. Where do they get off spending our money on things as foolish as "gun buy back" programs?
Agree with you about not spending our tax money.

Some localities have gotten hip to the fact taxpayers don't want to do this, so they allow corporations to bankroll the events.

If you see buybacks, dig until you KNOW who's paying, and vote with your wallet.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If a private citizen offered a "no questions asked" buy back program, and they took in stolen guns, they'd be arrested for recieving stollen property. Amazing how the government can get away with illegal activities and we can't.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
If a private citizen offered a "no questions asked" buy back program, and they took in stolen guns, they'd be arrested for recieving stollen property. Amazing how the government can get away with illegal activities and we can't.
Exactly. We'd be hosed. They break the law (good Lord, so many ways and times), but we do something like that and we get the book thrown at us.

Carnivore

imported post

GumiBear wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
These sound like people that would rather shirk responsibility than take precautions to prevent the rug rats from getting hold of their guns.
Yeah, God forbid that the kiddies are taught about guns. I agree with insane.kangaroo, these folks don't need to be around guns, I suddenly feel safer now knowing they no longer have them around.
here! here!

David.Car

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
The first time DC held a gun buy-back they offered $100 per gun AND WERE ACCEPTING PELLET GUNS. I was up $300 by the time it was over. Suckers.......:celebrate
That is what I always thought about. If they had a gun buy back, I would pick up every old useless firearm I could find and trade it in.

I believe it was NY that had a $200.00 per gun buy back. Hell...I could pick up 30 guns tomorrow that cost me less than that.

Mini14

imported post

Back in 1982, DC did a gun buy back program; the gang bangers all turned in their old revolvers and went to Virginia. In Virginia, they all got 9mm semiautomatic pistols.

See? Gun buy backs do work!

darthmord

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
The term , "gun buy backs" is an oxymoron because the gun was not purchased from the governmental agency "buying it back". Therefore it is a non-existent thing. But here is something that I have wondered for a while now about this craziness.

I would bet that occasionally, a few of the guns turned in for money were stolen just for this reason. Some enterprising criminal(s) got some guns illegally, then turned them in, no questions asked of course, for their $50 or $100 prize.

Wouldn't this make the police, and perhaps the mayor, guilty of aiding and abetting or of receiving stolen property? Could they not be arrested and charge for one or both of these felonies?

It's a buy-back in the sense there are two groups... the buyers and everyone else. The buyers get them from everyone else. The buy-backs are occurring because the everyone else group is buying them back from the buyers.

Twisted logic for sure. But this is typical of government after all.