• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts on people who are submissive to gun buy backs?

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
imported post

How about another twist on "Gun Buy Backs".Since someone did not buy the weapon the are turing in from said government agency,should a back ground check have tobe done before it can be "sold back" (this is assuming that the gun show loophole is closed).

darthmord

imported post

Here's something to add to that (especially if they make it that all sales must have a background check)...

How can we be sure the people running the gun buyback are legally able to receive firearms?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I think some people who do it are exploiting them by getting rid of their $50 Jennings and getting $200 in return, and others are crooks who stole guns and now have a way to get money for them no questions asked giving them further incentive to steal even more guns. In some cases they could be turning in zip guns that cost $5 to make, or worthless rusted guns that haven't worked in a decade.

In other cases, people who are tooignorant to know their guns are worth far more than the buyback price give them to the buyback rather than selling it. Many of these people probably inherited them. That or they are too lazy to try and sell them despite that they may get better deals just by offering them to a gun dealer.

Maybe one or two people turn them in because they believe guns are bad and they'd rather have the gun melted down than make more money by selling it.

Basically, I think the buybacks are stupid, all around. A total waste of public resources.

I'm sure the Brady Campaign likes the idea of crooks stealing guns from people and then the publicpaying them to have them melted down. They couldn't convince the government to confiscate them, so why not pay people to steal them?

shad0wfax

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
The first time DC held a gun buy-back they offered $100 per gun AND WERE ACCEPTING PELLET GUNS. I was up $300 by the time it was over. Suckers.......:celebrate

Yeah, and thensome enterprising guy figures out he can illegally manufacture single-shot "zip-guns" that may or may not even fire for about $15 a piece and get $100 from the buyback morons.

As long as buybacks are offering 100% amnesty and not checking the value or functionality of the firearms, they're just throwing money at criminals.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

homemade firearms are legal to make in many jurisdictions as long as they are for personal use. For example, bending a receiver flat to build a legal semi auto AK. I'm planning to do that soon, but I can't sell it without going through some hoops.

So it is also legal to make "zip guns" in many places. Washington State has no laws against that, provided it is in an otherwise legal configuration. If Seattle ever has a "buy back" again, I'm building me some black powder guns out of gas pipe! LOL:p

Legba

imported post

Am still looking for the specific legal citation, but I am pretty well certain that making a "zip gun" is against federal law without the express permission of the ATF. They fall under the National Firearms Act, IIRC, and are in the same legal category as machine guns and silencers (or maybe "any other weapon" - not sure) - it is generally possible to obtain them, but you have extra legal (and financial) hoops to jump through. Will update when I find the relevant text.

-ljp

Alexcabbie

imported post

For that matter you can get the necessary ingredients for black powder from dog poop, bird droppings, and ordinary charcoal briquettes (or of course you can make your own). Barring availability of primers and/or cartridges, a servicable flintlock can be improvised from an ordinary cigarette lighter (Which may explain why so many antis are anti-smoking, too ).

But if you have to improvise to that extent, why bother?? A .68 caliber lead ball fired from a "WHAM-O" "Wrist Rocket" slingshot will kill a human being , when used properly. reliably and silently, and a Wrist Rocket is just as or more concealable than almost any firearm larger than .32 caliber. And you can manufacture copies of the Wrist Rocket cheaply, legally, and easily; and if there happens to be a law against it it is damned unenforcable.

The ammo leaves no "ballistic fingerprint". And it would be completely possible for a rival gang-basnger to do a random driveby Wrist Rocket attack and get off several shots before hardly anyone knew enough to hit the deck.

WOW. Can you imagine how much money you could make if the Brady Bunch funded a bunch of "slingshot buybacks"?? Home slingshot manufacture would end the recession by spurring sales of surgical tubing and 3/8" steel rod stock, AND put money in people's pockets to stimulate the economy in other ways.

What it won't do is show the Brady Bunch the truth: That their fantasy of a "gun-free" world is based on social alchemy.. For just as the alchemist tried (foolishly) to turn base metal to gold, so the Brady Bunch (among other idiot groups) beleieve that by the right social engineering they can trnsmute base human nature into pure sweetness and light. What a pack of compleat idiots.

shad0wfax

imported post

Legba wrote:
Am still looking for the specific legal citation, but I am pretty well certain that making a "zip gun" is against federal law without the express permission of the ATF. They fall under the National Firearms Act, IIRC, and are in the same legal category as machine guns and silencers (or maybe "any other weapon" - not sure) - it is generally possible to obtain them, but you have extra legal (and financial) hoops to jump through. Will update when I find the relevant text.

-ljp

You may be correct. What I was pointing out is that the vast majority ofgun buybacks offer complete amnesty to the folks turning over their firearms and don't even involve names being taken. (I hesitate to say all gun buybacks offer amnesty, but I think all of them have in the past. A few check to verify that the guns aren't stolen and will arrest and prosecute if they are, but other than that, they offered amnesty for illegal weapons.)

So, somehow or another the LAPD, the LACS, and other LE Agencies are ignoring federal law and offering amnesty to people turning in all types of guns, including felons turning in guns. (I wonder how they keep the BATFE off of their backs?)

I would never make a zip-gun and turn it in to a gun buyback, but people with more brass than I have could make a tidy profit off of it. :shock:

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Define "zip gun."

My point was IF you build a firearm that is NOT OTHERWISE ILLEGAL (such as a short barrel shotgun, machine gun, smoothbore pistol, etc....) then barring a more restrictive state or local law it is legal to build.

That is how an entire industry sprung up around taking "spare parts kits" for AK-47's and allowing people to build them into working guns.

richarcm

imported post

This is why I think it would do much good to set up tent at these events and provide the other side of the story. Local 2A groups should attend these scheduled events and pass out pro-gun literature, stickers and possibly even (if legal) choose to purchase the guns at a slightly higher (but still extremely reasonable) cost.

shad0wfax

imported post

richarcm wrote:
This is why I think it would do much good to set up tent at these events and provide the other side of the story. Local 2A groups should attend these scheduled events and pass out pro-gun literature, stickers and possibly even (if legal) choose to purchase the guns at a slightly higher (but still extremely reasonable) cost.
If there's ever a gun buyback in my state, I'll open-carry to it and hand out WA gun rights tri-folds. :lol:

Conagher

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Does anyone know of an ordinary citizen that hosted a gun buy-back? I was thinking about doing that in my area to see what was brought in; considering people seem anxious to give away their guns. Offer maybe $50 -75/gun, have a sign that stated no stolen property accepted and hire an off-duty officer to set at the table.

Sell the junk, keep any good ones. Any thoughts on this?

shad0wfax

imported post

Conagher wrote:
Does anyone know of an ordinary citizen that hosted a gun buy-back? I was thinking about doing that in my area to see what was brought in; considering people seem anxious to give away their guns. Offer maybe $50 -75/gun, have a sign that stated no stolen property accepted and hire an off-duty officer to set at the table.

Sell the junk, keep any good ones. Any thoughts on this?
With the kind of publicity that would grab, I'd make sure you do everything 100% by the book on the federal, state, and local level.

opencarrypalmtrees

heres what i think

if you are silly enough to give away your gun to a buy back just remember you will have to go through the stupid paperwork again to buy another gun and besides why not just give to someone else for plinking.

MilProGuy

these programs are used mostly by criminals. they get the cash and either steal or find another gun

Seems like a very logical assumption to me.

I've never, personally, known of one law-abiding person who took a firearm into one of these buy-back programs.