• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho CCW permit valid?

jt1562000

imported post

I am about to move to the Jacksonville area, and would like to know if my CCW Permit will be valid. I know that N.C. recognizes Idaho permits, so it would normally not be a problem. The issue is that I am 20 years old. I have a valid permit from Idaho, which states under 21, and is valid until November of 2013. Do you think I would have problems with LEO if I had an encounter?

On a side note, Idaho generally issues permits to individuals 21 and over, but has a stipulation that permits can be issued to 18-20 year olds on a case to case basis. This is how I received my permit. I have not found any N.C. law stating they do the same.

SPRINGFIELD_45_ACP

imported post

When you arrive the Jacksonville,NC area WELCOME glad to have another CCW patron on board...I live in the Richlands,NC area when you get settled in maybe we can get together along with some others for a OC event.....As for your question give some the state researchers a chance to read your post...They a will a accurate answer for you...........ONCE AGAIN WELCOME

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

§ 14‑415.24. Reciprocity; out‑of‑state handgun permits.

(a) A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina if that state grants the same right to residents of North Carolina who have valid concealed handgun permits issued pursuant to this Article in their possession while carrying concealed weapons in that state.
If your permit is still valid in Idaho, it is still good in North Carolina. According to USACarry.com, Idaho issues non-resident permits so it should not be an issue to get the address changed to your current North Carolina address.

Good Luck and Welcome to North Carolina.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Interesting question! I would say that there's a good chance that you'll be fine, based solely on the fact that you legally have a permit from your State. Another thing to consider is that it's very rare that you should ever have to present your permit at all.

Unfortunately I cannot give you a definite answer, as I am not a lawyer, and I've neverheard ofthis situation before. My advice to you would be to contact the NC AG's office and ask them. If you aren't comfortable with that, or can't get a straight answer from them, let me know and I will give them a call myself :).

RayBurton72

imported post

Piggybacking on what DreQo said,

If NC grants reciprocity to Idaho (and it does as of July 25, 2007), then your permit is valid in NC under both the reciprocity statutes previsouly cited and NCGS 14-269.
§ 14‑269. Carrying concealed weapons.

((a1) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any pistol or gun except in the following circumstances:

(snip)

(2) The deadly weapon is a handgun, and the person has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter or considered valid under G.S. 14‑415.24.

Here is a thumbnail of concealed carry laws:

In North Carolina, concealed handguns may not be carried:

• In law enforcement or correctional facilities such as a prison;
  • In financial institutions such as a bank;
  • In any space occupied by state or federal employees, including state and federal courthouses;
  • In schools or on school grounds;
  • In areas of assemblies, parades, funerals or demonstrations;
  • In any place where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed (such as some restaurants);
  • In any area where concealed handguns are prohibited by federal law;
  • In any place of business that has posted a sign banning concealed weapons on its premises; (be warned, North Carolina is NOT a tresspass state. If you are caught carying a cancealed weapon past a now carry sign, you CAN be arested on the spot.)
  • By any person while consuming alcohol or while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substances (unless obtained legally and taken as directed by a physician).
To possess a concealed handgun in North Carolina, you must:

• Carry your permit and a valid form of identification with you at all times.
  • Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina
  • Inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun.
  • Present both the permit and valid identification at the request of an officer
    NOTE: You should not attempt to display either your weapon or your permit unless directed to by an officer.

jt1562000

imported post

Thank you all for your advice. Springfield - Im up for an OC event. Myabe fire up a BBQ or something.
RayBurton - Thank you for the quick run down!