Thread: Tamarack

Post imported post

I'm a WV native (Mercer County) and WVU alumni now living in VA. I still have a lot of family members in WV, and visit often.

I stopped at Tamarack recently and there are signs on all the doors banning firearms carry. Isn't Tamarack a state funded operation? Are the signs a violation of state preemption?

Post imported post

State Researcher

Post imported post

Tamarack is a state-owned facility. Do you recall exactly when and on which door you saw the sign?

I received a similar complaint about a month or two ago and had a local WVCDL member take a look and he did not notice any gunbuster signs at that time.

Since Tamarack is a state facility, it is not covered by our state preemption laws, which apply only to county & municipal governments (at least until we pass the stronger preemption law I've been pursuing for the last2 years).

Do we have The Case of the Miraculous Disappearing and Reappearing Tamarack Gunbuster Sign? :?
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:
    Tamarack is a state-owned facility. Do you recall exactly when and on which door you saw the sign?

I received a similar complaint about a month or two ago and had a local WVCDL member take a look and he did not notice any gunbuster signs at that time.

Since Tamarack is a state facility, it is not covered by our state preemption laws, which apply only to county & municipal governments (at least until we pass the stronger preemption law I've been pursuing for the last2 years).

Do we have The Case of the Miraculous Disappearing and Reappearing Tamarack Gunbuster Sign? :?
    It was on the main door I entered, closest to the parking lot. But as I walked the complete circle, I looked at every outside door, and it was on the middle door atevery entrance.

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:
    I just realized why you might have missed them. There isn't a separate sign, like a speed limit sign hanging on the wall. It is stenciled on the door itself. Each entry has three doors. It is written on the glass of the middle door at each entry about waist high.

Post imported post

Off topic, but the only time I visited Tamarack was in 1996. I enjoyed the stop, and the variety of local crafts offered there.

While I don't think government should be funding such a venture, it would be a great place if the various artisan communities funded it.

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:

You may want to have them check again. I was there a couple of years ago and Tamarack had signs on ALL the doors.

Haven't been back since most of the stuff they sold was junk.