• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Work parking lots

tsafoperator

imported post

In michigan, can an employer, whether private or governmental, prohibit the storage of a weapon in your vehicle while you are on the clock? I seem to remember reading that the governor may sign something prohibiting employers from preventing you from doing this anywhere on there property. I have a C.C.W. and carry my sidearm 24/7.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

tsafoperator wrote:
In michigan, can an employer, whether private or governmental, prohibit the storage of a weapon in your vehicle while you are on the clock? I seem to remember reading that the governor may sign something prohibiting employers from preventing you from doing this anywhere on there property. I have a C.C.W. and carry my sidearm 24/7.

Welcome to OCDO tsa.

Unfortunately, in Michigan,youremployer can prohibit weapons (firearms) on their property-very much the same as students on college or university property-even though you have a valid CPL and the firearm is secured in your personal vehicle. If you have a firearm (handgun) secured in your vehicle you have not violated any firearm laws. However, you may very well be fired due to violating company policy.

I don't recall the details, but recently, Florida passed a law that protected employees from being reprimanded/fired by their employer due to having a firearm secured in their vehicle.

Link: Florida

ETA: When you mentioned 'governmental', I assumed at a state level. Of course, no carry (possession)on federal property.

Also see, the stickied Michigan Open Carry Info thread.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

tsafoperator wrote:

This is easier to do on private property. I do know that state employees can have weapons in there vehicles in state parking lots. They are not allowed to have them on them when there are on the clock, but can have them when not on duty.

As Springer states, there would be no firearm law violation, just policy and a reprimand up to firing.

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Could be worse tsa, my employer regulates firearms even while off the clock. They are kind enough to let us carry, but we cannot enter the property of any company owned store anywhere in the country with a loaded weapon. While on the clock, we cannot have a weapon at all, even in our care.

Pulling over at the next business over and unloading my weapon anytime I enter the property seems more unsafe then carrying the loaded gun I always carry otherwise, but hey, I need the job :)

taxwhat

imported post

tsafoperator wrote:
In michigan, can an employer, whether private or governmental, prohibit the storage of a weapon in your vehicle while you are on the clock? I seem to remember reading that the governor may sign something prohibiting employers from preventing you from doing this anywhere on there property. I have a C.C.W. and carry my sidearm

[align=center][size=+1]CPL FAQ's/Ask the Lawyer[/size][/align]

Q:
I work for a major Auto Company and shoot at a range next to the plant. It would be convenient for me to leave my pistol locked in my trunk during the day and shoot after work. The plant has a sign in
the parking lot that says no guns allowed. Am I risking my job if I leave my pistol locked in my car?

A:
The short answer is “Yes.” The complete answer is more complex. Michigan law allows a person to carry a concealed pistol “anywhere in this state.” This would seem to cover your employer’s parking lot. But there is an exception found in section 5n(b) which allows an employer to prohibit, “… an employee from carrying a concealed pistol in the course of his or her employment with that employer.” The phrase “in the course of” is not defined in the statute,
but the workers compensation statute contains identical wording. That statute has been interpreted by the courts as, “…the concept of course of employment was formulated to encompass activity falling within the normal
sphere of employee activity associated with the work routine.” Parking your car in the employer’s lot would be within the normal sphere of employee activity associated with the work routine. Michigan courts have almost universally found an employee to be in the course of employment while in the
parking lot or crossing the street between the parking lot and workstation.
Obviously, you are not carrying the pistol while at your workstation, but you would have to “carry” it into and out of the parking lot. You as an employee have a duty to obey legal rules. Unless somehow modified by a collective bargaining agreement, your employer would be justified in firing you if it
discovered that you had a gun in your car