• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Divorce & Your Right to Your Guns

LovesHisXD45

imported post

I have an interesting question. I'm about to be single again next year after 12 years of marriage. Is there any way, if the wife decided to get nasty, that she could go after some of my guns in court? Could she try to take half of em away like everything else?
She hasn't paid for any of em. None are hers. I'm just wondering.

Kevin

les_aker

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
I have an interesting question. I'm about to be single again next year after 12 years of marriage. Is there any way, if the wife decided to get nasty, that she could go after some of my guns in court? Could she try to take half of em away like everything else?
She hasn't paid for any of em. None are hers. I'm just wondering.

Kevin

If they were purchased during the marriage: Yes.

I avoid it you will have to show that they were purchased prior to the marriage, or that they were gifts to you from someone else (parents, brother, sister, etc) and that someone else's funds purchased them..

PT111

imported post

Consult a divorce attorney in your state but the general answer is yes. Especially if it is a valuable collection of guns and you obtained them during your marriage. Everything will be split 50-50. She gets the car, you get the payment book. She gets the house, she gets the payment book. She gets the credit cards and you get the debt. :)

trailblazer2003

imported post

Could you "gift" them to a friend or relative, at least until after the settlement. I saw on another forum a guy was going through a nasty divorce and the wife took his sweet Jeep. She didn't want or need it, and probably never liked it, but aksed for and won it just to stick it to the husband. She knew it meant a ton to him, and that fueled her desire.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

This will be a peaceful divorce so far. After all, I have evidence compiled against her if she wants to get mean. She has given alcohol and cigarettes to a minor and had an affair where she contracted the clap and then gave it to me. That is how I caught her cheating. I also have key logger logs detailing cyber sex with a 17-year-old boy and other men. Between the adultery, the contributing to the delinquency of a minor and the pedifilic tendencies she has displayed online, I would say that I am in a good position if things get nasty.

I told her that if she decided to take it to court that I would rake her over the coals and leave her with nothing. From what I hear, an attorney would just love to use all of the skeletons in her closet to french fry her in court. Hopefully it won't come to that though. Wish me luck.

Kevin

Carnivore

imported post

If you start feeling that you're fighting a losing battle, then go to a pawn shop and get a pawn price for all your firearms, (you know it'll be a fraction of the value), then pay her off at half of the pawn value, I don't think a judge can screw you for accepting a Pawn gun dealers price..

forever_frost

imported post

Might I suggest something kinda...fuzzy? "Sell" them to a family member or friend, get a bill of sale for a couple hundred bucks. Split it with her and wait till after the divorce to buy them back.

Carnivore

imported post

forever_frost wrote:
Might I suggest something kinda...fuzzy? "Sell" them to a family member or friend, get a bill of sale for a couple hundred bucks. Split it with her and wait till after the divorce to buy them back.

Most likely that won't be acceptable by a judge if her attorney challenges it, That would be like cutting the sofa in half with a sawzall and giving her half of a piece of furniture, Most judges will make you go out and buy an identical or of same value sofa for the ex, and you will be the proud owner of 2 halves of the original sofa..

I know' I've been down that road..

but I do think a judge will accept a pawn brokers bid as used market value. I'm not saying you should pawn your firearms, just get a bid, and settle her with half of the bid.. If the pawn brokers bid isn't acceptable then tell the judge you'll sell them all, but it may take some time.and only you have to know who the buyer is,family/ friend

JDriver1.8t

imported post

What are your state's purchase restrictions?

Here, you have to have a purchase permit where they run a back ground check. I would assume there is something similar there. If she doesn't own any weapons, and hasn't had a background check, can she have them?

Maybe something along those lines would work. I know that I can't buy a gun and have it belong to my soon to be.

smccomas

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
This will be a peaceful divorce so far. After all, I have evidence compiled against her if she wants to get mean. She has given alcohol and cigarettes to a minor and had an affair where she contracted the clap and then gave it to me. That is how I caught her cheating. I also have key logger logs detailing cyber sex with a 17-year-old boy and other men. Between the adultery, the contributing to the delinquency of a minor and the pedifilic tendencies she has displayed online, I would say that I am in a good position if things get nasty.

I told her that if she decided to take it to court that I would rake her over the coals and leave her with nothing. From what I hear, an attorney would just love to use all of the skeletons in her closet to french fry her in court. Hopefully it won't come to that though. Wish me luck.

Kevin
always remember "You never know a women till you meet her in court."
Sorry man, good luck

David.Car

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
What are your state's purchase restrictions?

Here, you have to have a purchase permit where they run a back ground check. I would assume there is something similar there. If she doesn't own any weapons, and hasn't had a background check, can she have them?

Maybe something along those lines would work. I know that I can't buy a gun and have it belong to my soon to be.
In most states the background check only applies when buying from a dealer. No check is necessary for private sales, or transfer of ownership.

Edit: But if she has ever had a felony... That is another story.

PT111

imported post

From what I hear, an attorney would just love

Again I advise talk to a lawyer and apy no attention to the "From what I hear BS."

You say next year but what is your timeframe and if you really plan to you better start working on it now and with an attorney. Just because you talk to one doesn't mean you have to go throught it. After 12 years of marriage I would think that you have greater concerns than just your guns in a divorce. All this advice you are getting on here is worth exactly what you are paying for it so you better get some from someone who knows the laws of your state. Otherwise it may get very nasty.

To quote Lewis Grizzard, "The next time I think about getting married I am just going to find an ugly woman and buy her a house".

Legba

imported post

It depends on what jurisdiction you're in. Generally, spouses have a "dower interest" in property obtained after the marriage. Some states explicitly allow for "community property" which is pretty much an equal interest in marital property, which may or may not include real or personal property you had before.

As ever, consult a real lawyer. Good luck and remember that divorce, as such (as opposed to a dissolution), is an adversarial process. I've seen people who tried to be decent get taken advantage of. If the two of you could be trusted to get along, you wouldn't be splitting for cause.

-ljp

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Family law varies from one state to the next. I recommend getting an attorney if you do not already have one.

Dower interests in real property (they never applied to personal property) have generally been abolished in most states. However, most states have also adopted "equitable distribution" statutes that have made most states de facto community property states in practice.

Also, any attempts to transfer property and/or otherwise deplete the marital asset base will likely be discovered by the other spouse's attorney and will be deducted from your share of the distributed assets.

Again, I recommend getting an attorney if you do not already have one.

Armed

imported post

Generally speaking, each of you are entitled to half of the marital assets. If a judge has to decide who gets what - believe me, it will be 50/50 right down the line.

So, it is in both of your best interests to agree on the division of property. If the divorce is uncontested, the judge will likely go along with whatever the two of you have already agreed to.

Sorry about your luck pal...Divorce really sucks...

Edited to remove stupid question from not reading all posts :cry:

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Thanks everyone. I talked things over with the wife. We have come to an agreement. She doesn't want the guns. We'll sell the house and split everything 50/50, including the tax refunds and the equity cash payout on the house. Kids will be joint custody and remain on my insurance plan with my employer. She'll get $350.00 per paycheck in child support with no alimony.

Kevin