Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just drew on a dog...

State Researcher

Post imported post

So I had a case of water in the trunk of my car that I had to go down to get since we ran out. Out of habit I strapped my gun belt on and attached my holster and sidearm. My g/f laughed at me for taking my gun down to the car just to get some water, and I stuck my tongue out at her as I walked out the door.

When I got to the sidewalk, I heard rustling noises in the backyard by the garbage cans. Stupid neighbors have been putting their trash in my can, so I figured I'd wander around back to take a look. I heard something rustling in the trees going off the other direction, and I figured it was a cat. We hear them fighting outside once in a while.

I came back around the corner into the light of the parking lot street light, and I found myself about 10 feet in front of a very angry dog. It was a black dog, probably a lab, and his hair was all tuffed and messy. He was down low, growling and bearing his teeth, then he started to bark and lunged forward. I took a few steps back, drew, and yelled "back off!". I'm not sure why I yelled back off....but I did. The dog flinched for a second when I yelled and dropped back down and started growling again. Next thing I knew, I heard a little girl yell "buddy! buddy!!" and the dog barked at me once more before running back to the adjacent building.

I walked up to the front of the buildings and holstered my weapon. A little girl and a little boy were standing there as the dog ran around them playfully. The girl said "I'm sorry!!!" then gasped when she saw my gun. I smiled and told the girl it's all right, but she should bring the dog inside. The dog ended up wandering closer again with his tail wagging as I got the water out of the car. I said "hey boy" and he sniffed around before heading inside with the kids.

I think the dog freaked out on me because I was a dark figure coming out from around the corner, and I accidentally snuck up on him. The dog was under the street light, so he probably couldn't see me very well at all.

Now I feel kinda stupid for drawing, but when the dog jumped forward I was sure it wasn't going to end well. A billion things ran through my head, including "oh man, if I have to shoot my ears are going to be ringing for the next 3 days" lol. I didn't realize these situations could be so damn nerve racking...and this was just a dog!!

Blah, ok, thanks for letting me vent, guys :?.

Post imported post

A very similar thing happened to me a few years ago. It was a good test of my control. I drew but quickly realized the dog was behind a fence and never got the muzzle totally out of the holster. Glad you maintained your cool too.

Post imported post

Most dogs that are pets will back down if you give almost any loud, firm command to them. Don't try it with a trained K9, though. They will only respond to specific commands - and not all of the commands are in English.

In your incident, the dog was also protecting the kids. When they talked to you in a friendly manner, the dog no longer viewed you as a threat to his people. Glad you didn't have to shoot him.

Post imported post

Don't feel bad because you drew your gun on a dog. Dogs out of the yard need to be leashed. Let me tell you, I was walking on the beach here in Homer, and three dogs came at me and my girl(my malamute). They surrounded us, two goldies and one small kickme pincher, and barked. Two of them actually nipped at me, I wish I had my gun then, I would've shot them both, and kicked the kick me straight in to the ocean. The owners you ask, 300ft away acting like the dogs barking and nipping at me is F@#King alright.

We have leash laws here for a reason, stupid owners like said owner of trio above is a good example. I will not hestitate to relieve a dog from a stupid owner in the future. I let the officers and the shelter knew what happened. The officers know I will not tolerate such behavior because stupid dog owners don't leash or train their dogs. The next dog to take a nip at me, is a dead dog. What I find funny is since I started open carrying to the beach, the owners who KNOW their dog will nip at me, run to their dog like crazy to leash their F@#King dog.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
    Most dogs that are pets will back down if you give almost any loud, firm command to them. Don't try it with a trained K9, though. They will only respond to specific commands - and not all of the commands are in English.

In your incident, the dog was also protecting the kids. When they talked to you in a friendly manner, the dog no longer viewed you as a threat to his people. Glad you didn't have to shoot him.
    +1......dogs are pack animals......it was protecting the pack from what it perceived as a threat, namely you......once the children were talking to you, it was clear to the dog you were not a threat, or at least not one it wanted to tangle with.

Post imported post

Good ending. I have a Jack Russell I wanna draw on daily!

Post imported post

And here from the title, I thought he was going to be talking about crayons and markers. :P
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Drew on a dog? That was you??

Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I always carry some pepper spray with me which works great on the pups that get out of hand without having to pull my firearm.

Post imported post

jchantelau wrote:
    I always carry some pepper spray with me which works great on the pups that get out of hand without having to pull my firearm.
    A friend of mine who is a postal carrier says he has found pepper spray to be useless against dogs. He uses an air horn and says that usually does the trick.

Post imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
    jchantelau wrote:
    A friend of mine who is a postal carrier says he has found pepper spray to be useless against dogs. He uses an air horn and says that usually does the trick.
    Horns or whistles can work well but so far in my experience the pepper spray has done the trick. Being that I run in the evenings I'm sure I will encounter more dogs.

Post imported post

I prefer a cattle prod, like other responsible dog trainers use when walking in areas where dogs may be running freely when not supposed to be.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    I prefer a cattle prod, like other responsible dog trainers use when walking in areas where dogs may be running freely when not supposed to be.
    Cattle prod is not very fun to carry when doing a 7 mile run.

Post imported post

hehe... well get a strap for the cattle prod and wear it like a rifle? ^_^

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    hehe... well get a strap for the cattle prod and wear it like a rifle? ^_^
    lmao...hmm...yeah that could work!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I think that in your situation your reaction was understandable and you should not regret.

You stayed cool...tried to find a reasonable alternative...and didn't panic pull the trigger.

Slow and cool. It doesn't matter how fast you pull the trigger if you don't have a target.

Post imported post

I discussed this exact situation in an NRA Pistol Instructors course. I was walking my dogs and two (name your violent breed) came out and started to attack my dog (not me). I drew and shot the dogs. Your answer to LEO is "I was in fear for my life as those dogs were going to attack me at any minute after attacking my dogs"...not something you could prove, but "In fear for my life" is as good a defensive answer as there is.

Post imported post

Well, if they are likely to kill your DOGS, aren't they likely to be in a frenzy-like state after that, and want another target/victim?

I'd also be worried they were diseased or rabid, if they are approaching and attacking other animals and people like that.

Just remember, you have to cover all your bases.

Post imported post

DavidTexasNRA wrote:
    I discussed this exact situation in an NRA Pistol Instructors course. I was walking my dogs and two (name your violent breed) came out and started to attack my dog (not me). I drew and shot the dogs. Your answer to LEO is "I was in fear for my life as those dogs were going to attack me at any minute after attacking my dogs"...not something you could prove, but "In fear for my life" is as good a defensive answer as there is.
    In TX wouldn't you be allowed to defend your dogs anyway?

Post imported post

In most states there are laws regarding the use of force or deadly force against dogs which are bothering wildlife, other domestic animals, or humans.

There was a time I was bothered here, and I didn't have a weapon on me. If I did, I'd have been in my right to take out my firearm and shoot the 3 dogs bothering Faith(my malamute) and me.

Post imported post

jchantelau wrote:
    XD-GEM wrote:
    jchantelau wrote:
    Horns or whistles can work well but so far in my experience the pepper spray has done the trick. Being that I run in the evenings I'm sure I will encounter more dogs.
    I've heard bear spray works well enough....

I don't think you should feel stupid, though. You perceived the animal as a threat, and I daresay each and every one of us here on OC would have done the same. I myself don't trust dogs; I haven't had good experiences with them in my life. I can totally understand if you have a good trusty dog and he's your buddy, and I think that's great (I'd love a "security" dog for home protection) butme and dogs havenever mixed well. I hada worthless, nipping dog when I was a kid formere days...and Ihad a guy sic a dog on me and my sister as akid, too....

So, personalbabble aside, goodjob.

State Researcher

Post imported post

It's funny that this thread still gets replies once in a while. I actually had to deal with the same dog again today. Apparently the other tenants in my building had had their own problems with the dog, and we were all outside chatting about various things, including that. Sure enough, while my g/f's kid was playing in the grass, that dang dog suddenly came out of the adjacent building. He was barking and snarling while running straight at the kid. I didn't quite clear leather (er, um, safari-laminate) this time before the 10 yr old boy that had taken the dog out to pee yelled at the dog to come back.

Me and two other neighbors starting yelling at the kid to put the dog inside and get his dad OUTside. The kid just kept saying "he's just gotta pee". One of my neighbors is a sheriff's deputy, so she decided to go have a talk with daddy while I called animal control.

Animal control showed up and asked what was going on. He asked if anyone had been hurt, and we said no, but it's been close more than once. He then asked me what I was carrying, and said something to the extent of "Hey man, if it was me and I was packing, I'd just send that pup over the rainbow next time." LOL!!

Anyway animal control explained the leash law to the owner, and told us that he's been warned. If the dog runs at, or god forbid bites, anyone again, he'll be taking it from the owner. He then reiterated that I shouldn't hesitate to shoot the dog if I feel like the kid or I am about to be attacked.

So yeah, interesting stuff over all! Hopefully the guy learned his lesson. I'd honestly hate to have to shoot the thing.

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    Animal control showed up and asked what was going on. He asked if anyone had been hurt, and we said no, but it's been close more than once. He then asked me what I was carrying, and said something to the extent of "Hey man, if it was me and I was packing, I'd just send that pup over the rainbow next time." LOL!!
    Best government employee EVER.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Man, this weekend I was visiting my daughter and haven't seen them in almost a year. Her rottie was a pup when I last saw him so he didn't really recognize me but he warmed up pretty quick. He was leashed and on his way out the door when he stopped beside me for a quick pet, tail wagging and all, just a big baby.

He was fine until I scratched his back near his tail, which he apparently didn't like at all and he growled. I pulled away and he turned his head so fast and bit my hand HARD. He only broke the skin a bit but the rapid and intense crush was like having my hand under a truck, squeezing my first two knuckles together hard. The whole thing lasted about 1/2 a second. In another second the bones would have been easily broken.

My wife had a patient in the hospital who survived two wars without loss of limb only to be mauled losing an arm and a leg, and almost killed by his own 10 year old Rottie he raised from a pup.That was as close to a Rottie's jaws I will ever get again and it was quite sobering. I can tell you if a Rottweiler or Pit is ever charging me or anyone for that matter, there is no question I will draw and fire as that dog will kill or maim you in no time at all.

Post imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
    [SNIP]
    I hope I'm never on the business end of a trained K-9; If I am, I've either done something gravely wrong or the LEO's have made a grave error.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast