• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just drew on a dog...

TheWarrior

imported post

jchantelau wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:
jchantelau wrote:
I always carry some pepper spray with me which works great on the pups that get out of hand without having to pull my firearm.
A friend of mine who is a postal carrier says he has found pepper spray to be useless against dogs. He uses an air horn and says that usually does the trick.

Horns or whistles can work well but so far in my experience the pepper spray has done the trick. Being that I run in the evenings I'm sure I will encounter more dogs.

I've heard bear spray works well enough....

I don't think you should feel stupid, though. You perceived the animal as a threat, and I daresay each and every one of us here on OC would have done the same. I myself don't trust dogs; I haven't had good experiences with them in my life. I can totally understand if you have a good trusty dog and he's your buddy, and I think that's great (I'd love a "security" dog for home protection) butme and dogs havenever mixed well. I hada worthless, nipping dog when I was a kid formere days...and Ihad a guy sic a dog on me and my sister as akid, too....

So, personalbabble aside, goodjob. :D

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

It's funny that this thread still gets replies once in a while. I actually had to deal with the same dog again today. Apparently the other tenants in my building had had their own problems with the dog, and we were all outside chatting about various things, including that. Sure enough, while my g/f's kid was playing in the grass, that dang dog suddenly came out of the adjacent building. He was barking and snarling while running straight at the kid. I didn't quite clear leather (er, um, safari-laminate) this time before the 10 yr old boy that had taken the dog out to pee yelled at the dog to come back.

Me and two other neighbors starting yelling at the kid to put the dog inside and get his dad OUTside. The kid just kept saying "he's just gotta pee". One of my neighbors is a sheriff's deputy, so she decided to go have a talk with daddy while I called animal control.

Animal control showed up and asked what was going on. He asked if anyone had been hurt, and we said no, but it's been close more than once. He then asked me what I was carrying, and said something to the extent of "Hey man, if it was me and I was packing, I'd just send that pup over the rainbow next time." LOL!! :D

Anyway animal control explained the leash law to the owner, and told us that he's been warned. If the dog runs at, or god forbid bites, anyone again, he'll be taking it from the owner. He then reiterated that I shouldn't hesitate to shoot the dog if I feel like the kid or I am about to be attacked.

So yeah, interesting stuff over all! Hopefully the guy learned his lesson. I'd honestly hate to have to shoot the thing.

AbNo

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Animal control showed up and asked what was going on. He asked if anyone had been hurt, and we said no, but it's been close more than once. He then asked me what I was carrying, and said something to the extent of "Hey man, if it was me and I was packing, I'd just send that pup over the rainbow next time." LOL!! :D
Best government employee EVER.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Man, this weekend I was visiting my daughter and haven't seen them in almost a year. Her rottie was a pup when I last saw him so he didn't really recognize me but he warmed up pretty quick. He was leashed and on his way out the door when he stopped beside me for a quick pet, tail wagging and all, just a big baby.

He was fine until I scratched his back near his tail, which he apparently didn't like at all and he growled. I pulled away and he turned his head so fast and bit my hand HARD. He only broke the skin a bit but the rapid and intense crush was like having my hand under a truck, squeezing my first two knuckles together hard. The whole thing lasted about 1/2 a second. In another second the bones would have been easily broken.

My wife had a patient in the hospital who survived two wars without loss of limb only to be mauled losing an arm and a leg, and almost killed by his own 10 year old Rottie he raised from a pup.That was as close to a Rottie's jaws I will ever get again and it was quite sobering. I can tell you if a Rottweiler or Pit is ever charging me or anyone for that matter, there is no question I will draw and fire as that dog will kill or maim you in no time at all.

shad0wfax

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
Most dogs that are pets will back down if you give almost any loud, firm command to them. Don't try it with a trained K9, though. They will only respond to specific commands - and not all of the commands are in English.
[SNIP]
I hope I'm never on the business end of a trained K-9; If I am, I've either done something gravely wrong or the LEO's have made a grave error.

Overtaxed

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Don't feel bad because you drew your gun on a dog. Dogs out of the yard need to be leashed. Let me tell you, I was walking on the beach here in Homer, and three dogs came at me and my girl(my malamute). They surrounded us, two goldies and one small kickme pincher, and barked. Two of them actually nipped at me, I wish I had my gun then, I would've shot them both, and kicked the kick me straight in to the ocean. The owners you ask, 300ft away acting like the dogs barking and nipping at me is F@#King alright.

We have leash laws here for a reason, stupid owners like said owner of trio above is a good example. I will not hestitate to relieve a dog from a stupid owner in the future. I let the officers and the shelter knew what happened. The officers know I will not tolerate such behavior because stupid dog owners don't leash or train their dogs. The next dog to take a nip at me, is a dead dog. What I find funny is since I started open carrying to the beach, the owners who KNOW their dog will nip at me, run to their dog like crazy to leash their F@#King dog.
I was walking in a local park, and someone's unleashed dog basically went up to me uninvited, and put its paws on me.

I made eye contact with its owners, and they didn't even acknowledge that their pet had intruded on my personal space.

Sorry, but any intrusion on someone's personal space - a badly thrown frisbee, a stray hand while walking, or a toddler that isn't under goood control - warrants an apology. I would certainly offer the same to someone else. I have no idea why dog owners seem to thing that their pets are an exception to this simple common courtesy.

MetalChris

imported post

AbNo wrote:
DreQo wrote:
+50
If only there were more like him.

Statesman

imported post

AbNo wrote:
DreQo wrote:
+1

Statesman

imported post

BobCav wrote:
I can tell you if a Rottweiler or Pit is ever charging me or anyone for that matter, there is no question I will draw and fire as that dog will kill or maim you in no time at all.
I carry pepper spray and a .45 with me each day when I am outside walking. I would opt to use pepper spray on most any dog, but If I ever see an unleashed Rottweiler or Pit come charging towards me, forget the pepper spray!

TheWarrior

imported post

Statesman wrote:
AbNo wrote:
DreQo wrote:
+1
Glorious employee, indeed. I shall declare him my friend, though I doth not evenknow him. :D

Spectre

imported post

Most people don't seem to realize that dogs do not have the same anatomy as humans. Pepper Spray is designed to get into the pores and mucus membranes, and dogs don't have pores like humans. It's actually rare that pepper spray will work on a dog. Hence why there is a specific spray for dogs. It's made by Mace (the brand), and its called "Muzzle". It causes the dog to run but leaves no lasting damage.

I once had a "meter man" come to my house and with out asking me to bring my dog in from the back yard went straight to the back gate. When my dog came around to investigate this strange person the "meter man" immidiately sprayed him with standard human pepper spray. I knew he was going to the back yard and I saw him give my dog a good 5 second spray to the face. My dog didn't yelp or cry or run away, but the pepper spray did permanently blind my dog. I have since sued that man, won, and hopefully he's living under a bridge now.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Two days ago I had a dog charge at me as well.

Just before sunset I went out collecting non-smashed cans because I wanted some cans to shoot in a few days.

Whenever I look for cans I always go to the same big lot wedged between some houses and a road. (It’s about a tenth of a mile between the houses and the road and it is a strip about 8/10 of a mile long, full of nothing but dirt, sage brush, and abandoned junk.)

So this is where I was, and following a dirt path that took me near to the homes. (I was either walking down the middle or on the far side of the path, putting me about 15-20 yards away from the fence where the homes were.) I spotted two children near a hole in the fence some distance up ahead. I continued up the trail and the children disappeared into the fence. As I passed the hole in the fence a medium-large white dog emerged from the hole and charged at me, growling with its teeth exposed. As far as I could tell there was no one near by to restrain the dog. At first I thought maybe it was going to be friendly, but I quickly discovered it had no intention of being friendly with me and I started to run but I looked back at it and after traveling only a few feet I realized that my running abilities were no match for the dog's. I quickly drew my revolver, and while continuing to backpedal I pointed it towards the dog as it was charging at me. I had the gun aimed at the dog long enough that I could have shot it, but I really didn't want to shoot the dog, and I wanted to be certain that it was my only option. As I was running back and drawing I yelled at the dog, "STUPID DOG, STAY BACK!" (I was hoping the yell would scare him off.) The dog came within only a few feet my handgun before the dog suddenly retreated. As it began to retreat I also tripped and fell backwards into a sage brush. I'm not sure, either the metal object in my hand swinging toward him scared him, or more likely he was called back by his owner, although I never heard anyone call him. I quickly stood up and holstered my revolver just before or while a married couple emerged through the hole in the fence asking me if I was okay, and if I had been hurt or bit and I told them I was fine.

They seemed very concerned about my welfare and asked me if I was sure, so I assured them I was fine and just scared a bit. I went back to grab my bag full of aluminum cans that I had apparently dropped (I don't remember dropping it,) and greeted the man who was coming out to greet me, and shook hands. He noticed my gun and said, "I see you're protected." I replied, "Yep," and told him though that I loved animals. While I was talking to him his children said, "I saw him running,” and then to me said, “weren't you?" I may have nodded but I don't remember. The man thanked me a few times for not shooting his dog and told me how his dog is normally a good dog but is very protective, and he apologized for the hole in the fence. I told him I understood how dogs were and the dog was pretty good at being protective. After we were through discussing what had happened he told me I had a nice hat and asked what type it was, (it was a Fedora my parents gave me for my last Birthday), and we parted on friendly terms.

I then went home, as it was getting cold, the sun was setting, and I'd had enough of being outside finding cans.

I'm very glad I took the extra fraction of a second to think and didn't shoot the dog. I would have felt terrible afterwards, and the children would have been very sad too.

This is the first time I have ever drawn my gun on a living thing.

Elkad

imported post

Spectre wrote:
Most people don't seem to realize that dogs do not have the same anatomy as humans. Pepper Spray is designed to get into the pores and mucus membranes, and dogs don't have pores like humans. It's actually rare that pepper spray will work on a dog. Hence why there is a specific spray for dogs. It's made by Mace (the brand), and its called "Muzzle". It causes the dog to run but leaves no lasting damage.

I once had a "meter man" come to my house and with out asking me to bring my dog in from the back yard went straight to the back gate. When my dog came around to investigate this strange person the "meter man" immidiately sprayed him with standard human pepper spray. I knew he was going to the back yard and I saw him give my dog a good 5 second spray to the face. My dog didn't yelp or cry or run away, but the pepper spray did permanently blind my dog. I have since sued that man, won, and hopefully he's living under a bridge now.
I contracted to a power company for a while (installing remote-read meters actually, so they don't need to come in your yard any more). We had dog spray (Halt! brand) issued to us, which is based on oil of capsicum. A lot of the guys would spray indiscriminately, or just refuse to enter dog yards in general, so I did followup on a lot of "bad dog" houses. Most weren't bad at all, given a few minutes to introduce yourself to the dog. Or were bad, but were of the 7lb variety that can be held at bay with a boot or clipboard indefinitely.

If I did need to spray, I'd start by spraying the ground and the dogs feet. If it was a borderline case, he'd run away and the smell on his feet would bother him long enough to stay away from me for the 3 minutes I needed to do my job.

I sprayed 2 dogs in the face, out of thousands of encounters. One was a panic move. I stepped around a corner of a house and came face to face with a large upset and surprised labrador. Sprayed him in the face at the same time he hit the end of his chain about 2ft from me. Oops. It neutralized him instantly though.

Other was a pit bull w/pups. I disturbed her, and she came after me. She got a 2second dose to the face, and still took my leather&rubber high-voltage gloves and a $4000 handheld computer away from me. Destroying those bought me a few seconds to get to my truck. She then tried to come in the passenger window, and got a full can (15seconds worth) in the face, to no visible effect. I got the window rolled up while awkwardly beating her in the face with a large pair of boltcutters held in one hand (yay for being one of the few with power windows). Retrieved the computer by waiting for her to leave and then driving into the homeowners yard, but it didn't survive her jaws. No fence, no chain. Shooting her would have been an appropriate response for someone who wasn't already in Condition Red for dogs entering every yard.

It was "Dog Spray" and it did NOTHING.

We had non-dog incidents that were scary. An octogenarian lady once watched a fellow employee (in workboots, hardhat, uniform shirt, elbow-length bright yellow gloves, clipboard, etc) enter her neighbors yard, swap out his meter, and then hop the 3ft backyard fence into hers. She then emptied a 38 at him from 50 feet (1 "hit", on the heel of his boot)

protector84

imported post

These meter incidents seem strange to me but I guess things are different in different areas. Where I live most of the meters are in people's backyards and most backyards have fences around them. The meterman doesn't need to jump a fence and I assume that it would be illegal trespassing if he did. Instead, if I'm not mistaken they had binoculars so that they could just read it from the alley. If they couldn't read the meter because of an obstruction, dog, or other reason, then notices would be issued to the owner and probably the power would be turned off if they didn't comply.

Not knowing the details of these stories, I do have to say that if a yard is not fenced and a person enters it they have a right not to be threatened by a dangerous dog. An unfenced yard does not have the same legal protection as the inside of a dwelling or a fenced yard. People have a lawful right to enter your yard for a legitimate reason (i.e. mailmen, utility workers, a neighbor who wants to say hi, etc.).I don't want to shoot a dog either but one time I was nearly attacked by a pitbull when I entered the front yard of the wrong house looking for a friend. I have zero tolerance for this dog mentality as well as this "property owner" mentality where people somehow think that nobody is allowed to come within 500 feet of their home or even look at them or they deserve to be torn to shreds. Phoenix if not all of Arizona has leash laws so if you are going to have a dog in an unleashed yard "to protect your property" be aware that if it bites someoneor threatens someone who is lawfully on or near your property not only does the dog risk being impounded and euthanized or shot but you will likely be sued for probably more than your home is even worth.

I did draw a gun one time at three approaching dogs but they retreated which I am glad. I was lawfully in a public street and I had a right not to be threatened by dogs who were not being controlled as required by law. I was not going to wait for my neck to be slashed or my genitals to be torn off by theseapparent rottweilers so I would not have waited until one bit me to open fire had they not retreated.

Elkad

imported post

protector84 wrote:
These meter incidents seem strange to me but I guess things are different in different areas. Where I live most of the meters are in people's backyards and most backyards have fences around them. The meterman doesn't need to jump a fence and I assume that it would be illegal trespassing if he did. Instead, if I'm not mistaken they had binoculars so that they could just read it from the alley. If they couldn't read the meter because of an obstruction, dog, or other reason, then notices would be issued to the owner and probably the power would be turned off if they didn't comply.
In my case, we weren't just reading them. we were physically removing the old analog meters and replacing them with new digital ones (that also have RF transmitters for remote-reading). So we had to touch every meter. Yes, there were a lot of yards where the old meter reader just used binoculars or whatever, but that didn't help us any.

We were not required to change any meter we felt was a safety risk. However, when you are a subcontractor getting paid by the meter, you don't want to be skipping a whole lot either. Idea is to crank out 100 houses or so and go back to the hotel for the day, not spend half the day unpaid writing "unable to access meter" reports.

checkertaximan

imported post

I was walking my dog in my neighborhood and came acrossed a "FOX" I can't believe it a fox in south county? I just stood there did not know what to think but he or she just walked on by.:celebrate

40s-and-wfan

imported post

I've gotta add my two-cents in here!

I was in a similar situation once upon a time when I was camping. I woke up at between 6:30 and 7:00 in the AM of course, got dressed in my tent and strapped on my pistol. When I left my tent a dog from the neighboring camping spot came at me into my campsite and was barking, growling and altogether raising hell at me! I drew my pistola and held it in a low-ready position, aimed at the ground in front of Fido. I figured if the dog came a step closer to me I would put a bullet in its head!

The owners casually called it back to their campsite and didn't bother to leash it or tie it up at all, which is required in a Forest Service Campground. I went to the nearby Forest Service Headquarters and told them that since my wife, newborn son and another couple with their newborn would be joining me later in the day I wouldn't tolerate this kind of action. I also told them that if it happened again I would shoot the dog without question.

Forest Service cop came out to the site and was charged by the dog too. He told them they needed to keep their dog tied up but that didn't happen.

To make a long story short, I filed a report with that Officer later on in the week at my home and he told me that it would have been less paperwork and hassle if I had just shot the dog in the first place. He said I would have been completely justified in doing it! I was glad to hear that but at the same time ghlad that I didn't have to shoot the dog!!

shad0wfax

imported post

40s&wfan wrote:
[SNIP]He said I would have been completely justified in doing it! I was glad to hear that but at the same time ghlad that I didn't have to shoot the dog!!

Hahah!

It's probably good you didn't shoot the dog. I could just see the forest service guy clearing you of any criminal charges but the dog-owner tying you up in civil court over wrongful death of pet compensation BS.:banghead:

40s-and-wfan

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
40s&wfan wrote:
[SNIP]He said I would have been completely justified in doing it! I was glad to hear that but at the same time ghlad that I didn't have to shoot the dog!!

Hahah!

It's probably good you didn't shoot the dog. I could just see the forest service guy clearing you of any criminal charges but the dog-owner tying you up in civil court over wrongful death of pet compensation BS.:banghead:

How true, civil suit for pet compensation as you said! I've gotta be honest and say I've never pondered that fact!

:?