• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Rep Otto

Repoman

imported post

This morning I met with Rep. John Otto (District 18), to discuss his support of OC. Keep in mind that he co-sponsored the castle doctrine bill (which became law) here in Texas, and still had NO idea that there were only 6 states with no provisions on the books allowing OC. He will support it, and once he has done more research on it may sponsor a bill in Jan.

Simply this means that the word itself is not out there. EACH AND EVERYONE of us NEEDS to call and visit with our reps on this if we have any hope of this becoming a reality. On-line petitions are nice, but they don't work. If youare not willing to take 15 minutes out of your day to have a sit down, why should they fight for you in Austin?

Squid13

imported post

Is it generaly that easy to schedule a face to face with your representative? I suppose it would be, as they work for us, but it never occured to me to talk to them in person. I may have to work that in while I'm home on leave.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Repoman, that's good news.

Is there an "easy read" letter that we can print up and send out?

rodbender

imported post

I am putting together e spreadsheet to track which legislators will support, sponsor, or introduce a bill on open carry in Texas. I will start a thread for anyone who has info on which ones will or will not do any of the above. I need a lot of info to complete this task. Please post at that thread any info you have. Include name and district # and party affiliation of the legislator you are referring to. Thanks for your help.

Dennis Patterson

dpatterson2095@hotmail.com

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Repoman wrote:
This morning I met with Rep. John Otto (District 18), to discuss his support of OC. Keep in mind that he co-sponsored the castle doctrine bill (which became law) here in Texas, and still had NO idea that there were only 6 states with no provisions on the books allowing OC. He will support it, and once he has done more research on it may sponsor a bill in Jan.

Simply this means that the word itself is not out there. EACH AND EVERYONE of us NEEDS to call and visit with our reps on this if we have any hope of this becoming a reality. On-line petitions are nice, but they don't work. If youare not willing to take 15 minutes out of your day to have a sit down, why should they fight for you in Austin?
If everybody did what you did already we'd already have a bill filed!

Repoman

imported post

Squid13 wrote:
Is it generaly that easy to schedule a face to face with your representative? I suppose it would be, as they work for us, but it never occured to me to talk to them in person. I may have to work that in while I'm home on leave.
Yes it is that easy. Go here http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/ and find your rep, then call their local office and request an appointment. Remember they work for US, if you have to remind them of that. If they are a real pain let them know you voted for them (even if you didn't) and that they owe you for that vote. Eventually you will get the appointment. Remember the secretary they have is supposed to filter as much as possible, so don't be surprised if he/she is a pain in the rear. Once you get past the front door, just have a well mannered, and informative chat, take stats and figures that can be cross checked by them.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

It is easy to get an appointment, but the most important thing to do is DO IT NOW!!!!!

If you wait, you won't get in because the rep will already be in Austin awaiting session, then it's too late.

Repoman

imported post

Lets not get overly confident that letter writing and on-line anything will get the job done.

We need to continue to make our voices heard. If we want this to move forward we each need to stand-up walk into our reps offices, sit-down and give what we believe to be the facts.

It can be done, it is effective, and believe it or not they actually do want to hear from you!