• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammunition Accountability Act

scorpioajr

imported post

Found this browsing OCDO...

http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

Section 3. Prohibition on possession or sale of non-coded ammunition. 1. All handgun and assault weapon ammunition manufactured or sold in the state after January 1, 2009, shall be coded by the manufacturer. 2. No later than January 1, 2011, all non-coded ammunition for the calibers listed in this chapter, whether owned by private citizens or retail outlets, must be disposed. 3. Any person who willfully destroys, obliterates, or otherwise renders unreadable, the serialization required pursuant to this bill, on any bullet or assembled ammunition is punishable by imprisonment not to exceed one year, and a fine of $1,000.
Is Utah in line for this? :banghead:
Coded%20Bullet2.jpg

LovesHisXD45

imported post

I wonder why no replies to this question. Personally, if this does come to utah, or if somebody hints this before Obama takes office, I think that the gun show in January will be bought out of ammo. Last I heard, this process would not be cost-effective for manufacturers. The price of ammo would probably go up considerably if they mandated that. Guess I had better stock up on my zombie supplies before the shee hits the fan.

Kevin

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

I would HOPE that our esteemed state legislature would see the error and folly of such a scheme. That being said, it would behoove all to watch the legislature like a hawk, just to keep them honest...and to let them know where we as VOTERS stand on such an issue!

JoeSparky

Bflamante

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Let see. I use about 2000 rounds a year. Extrapolate that to the number of citizens like me. You are talking a huge annual volume of ammunition fired. Then try and find a serial code system that tracks in the trillions. Fit that on the back of a bullet. Nice try, but it is a sales guimick to an ignorant legislature. Not gonna happen. Especially not in Utah.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Bflamante wrote:
Let see. I use about 2000 rounds a year. Extrapolate that to the number of citizens like me. You are talking a huge annual volume of ammunition fired. Then try and find a serial code system that tracks in the trillions. Fit that on the back of a bullet. Nice try, but it is a sales guimick to an ignorant legislature. Not gonna happen. Especially not in Utah.

If the numbering scheme used all alpha + numeric then there would be a significant increase of the individual "serial numbers" with 36 characters available for each digit over a simple numbering scheme....

But, I agree, it is STILL unmanageable. Espcially if one assumes that some ammo is to be stockpiled by the end user.

JoeSparky

Matai

imported post

The common problem with using all 26 letters and 10 digits is the confusion between them. What's the diff between a 0 (digit) and an O (letter) for example? Add to that the difficulty in reading a partial or damaged stamp. Was it an S or a partial 8? The probability of false ID's is extremely high under this scenario. It's almost as bad as the micro-stamping fiasco. And just because the ammo was "registered" to you doesn't mean you were the one to fire it. Several family members shoot guns with the same caliber as me and we often share ammo at the range. What's to stop a stranger from dipping into my ammo bag when I'm not looking and shooting somebody with it? Sure it was my bullet, but not my gun and it wasn't me that fired it.

Someone mentioned this earlier, but if you follow the money you'll find there aren't many companies that can do this. Two, if I recall correctly. They both have patents on different methods of accomplishing the same thing. This is a complete perversion of capitalism. The inventor has got to say to himself, I have this idea to put a serial number on bullets, but it adds no value, has significant cost associated with it, is unreliable, and in the end serves no purpose. There's no way I can convince anyone to ever use this system. I know! I'll lobby the Legislature and make them *force* people to buy my invention.

I mean, nobody asked for this. Nobody who uses ammo, wants it.

It's just wrong, wrong, wrong. :cuss:

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Matai wrote:
The common problem with using all 26 letters and 10 digits is the confusion between them. What's the diff between a 0 (digit) and an O (letter) for example? Add to that the difficulty in reading a partial or damaged stamp. Was it an S or a partial 8? The probability of false ID's is extremely high under this scenario. It's almost as bad as the micro-stamping fiasco. And just because the ammo was "registered" to you doesn't mean you were the one to fire it. Several family members shoot guns with the same caliber as me and we often share ammo at the range. What's to stop a stranger from dipping into my ammo bag when I'm not looking and shooting somebody with it? Sure it was my bullet, but not my gun and it wasn't me that fired it.

Someone mentioned this earlier, but if you follow the money you'll find there aren't many companies that can do this. Two, if I recall correctly. They both have patents on different methods of accomplishing the same thing. This is a complete perversion of capitalism. The inventor has got to say to himself, I have this idea to put a serial number on bullets, but it adds no value, has significant cost associated with it, is unreliable, and in the end serves no purpose. There's no way I can convince anyone to ever use this system. I know! I'll lobby the Legislature and make them *force* people to buy my invention.

I mean, nobody asked for this. Nobody who uses ammo, wants it.

It's just wrong, wrong, wrong. :cuss:

And I agree with yourassessment!

This scheme is in the range of not only are we NOT able to do it, We shouldn't do it either.

JoeSparky