• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

outdoor ranges

rod

imported post

Are there any designated target ranges on any of the central Virginia WMAs'? Specifically the Hardware River WMA? Hite Hollow is the closest range that I know of and I'm looking for something a little closer to C'ville.

samdavisrises

imported post

Still a ways, but there is one at the Amelia WMA. It has rifle, shotgun, and archery areas. No pistols allowed and on the rifle range you have to shoot through a concrete drainage pipe.

2a4all

imported post

Has anyone used the range at the Chickahominy WMA since it opened this year (Sept)?

I'd like to use it to try out my Mini-14, and am trying to get some idea of how the facility is set up. What do I need to bring with me besides rifle, ammo, target(s), etc?

essayons

imported post

samdavisrises wrote:
Still a ways, but there is one at the Amelia WMA. It has rifle, shotgun, and archery areas. No pistols allowed and on the rifle range you have to shoot through a concrete drainage pipe.
Shooting 30-06 thru those tubes is pretty brutal.

vt357

imported post

essayons wrote:
samdavisrises wrote:
I make sure to use both earplugs and earmuffs when I shoot there.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

vt357 wrote:
essayons wrote:
samdavisrises wrote:
I make sure to use both earplugs and earmuffs when I shoot there.
Bring some extra padding for your collar bone, top of shoulder joint too because that is where the bench/concrete tube will force you to shoulder your rifle - 7mm Rem Mag was painful to shoot that way - very unnatural position - hate the facility.

Yata hey

LargeSarge

imported post

2a4all wrote:

Has anyone used the range at the Chickahominy WMA since it opened this year (Sept)?

I'd like to use it to try out my Mini-14, and am trying to get some idea of how the facility is set up. What do I need to bring with me besides rifle, ammo, target(s), etc?

Yep, been there twice (once before Thanksgiving and last weekend). Both times to site in my Mini-14 (LOVE IT!)

Bring cardboard, clothes pins and duct tape (sometimes you have to repair the taget frames), eye and ear protection.

Nice facility. 10 rifle/shotgun w/slug lanes and 5 shotgun w/shot and .22 rifle.NO HANDGUNS!

Not always a range officer availble butallthe peopleI've met there seemed ok.Howver,I've heard about some Idiots out there and you cansee bullit holes in signs etc. I'd recommend bring your own protection. My Para P-12-.45 is always on my hip.

leprechaun117

imported post

LargeSarge wrote:
I'd recommend bring your on protection. My Para P-12-.45 is always on my hip.   
[/quote]

I completely understand your concern, but from what I understand that is against the rules? Messing with federal jurisdiction isn't my idea of fun....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
Aren't WMAs controlled by the State? If so, you have nothing to worry about.
Wildlife Management Areas are state owned.

Most have signs that say no handguns permitted on the range - not no shooting them. I question the legitimacy of such under preemption and was even told that I needed to put mine in my vehicle. Asked for clarification, justification for such and was told well leave it in your holster and don't do it again.

Chickahominy WMA was the last of these ranges to allow pistol shooting and that stopped last year. The Dept. said that the ranges were for sighting in/practicing with hunting guns, not for recreational (short) guns. I responded that I hunted with a hand gun but was ignored on that point.

Yata hey

leprechaun117

imported post

Got ya, I was thinking of Hite Hollow, which is National Forest, and a no carry zone.

"• Weapons are not allowed on national forest lands outside of hunting seasons. ( See State Game Regulations.) Firearm ranges are the exception."

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/general_info/index.shtml

EDIT: (I should have kept reading....)

Laws Regarding Firearms on National Forest Lands

First, the primary laws governing possession of firearms and other weapons on National Forest are State Laws. These laws were developed by the states following establishment of our Cooperative Wildlife Management Agreements. Most notable of the state laws concerns controlling firearms on the National Forest are “cased gun laws”.

Cased Gun Laws: As the name implies, this law requires that all firearms on National Forest be unloaded and kept in a case. Virginia and West Virginia have similar “cased gun laws”. In order to allow hunting, these laws make an exception.
• It is legal to have loaded firearms on National Forest during the authorized general firearms and muzzle loading gun seasons for bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl. This exception is very specific and applies only during the period when it is legal to take these listed species and doesn’t include carrying the loaded weapons in a vehicle.
• Because hunting on Sunday is prohibited, carrying a loaded gun on National Forest is not legal on Sunday even if it is the Sunday in the middle of the general firearms deer season.
• The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a primitive weapons season or chase only season.
• People muzzle loading or bow hunting may carry a concealed weapon as long as they possess a concealed weapon permit.

Same link as above, just further down the page.

CHP is all good as long as you're concealed. Open carry by anyone is prohibited.

LargeSarge

imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:

I completely understand your concern, but from what I understand that is against the rules? Messing with federal jurisdiction isn't my idea of fun....
[/i]

MWA is state run and I always carry concealed. I saw one person open carry there and no one said anything to him.