• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Gatherings

hammerg26

imported post

Are there any plans for "open carry" gatherings (i.e. picnics, road clean up) in the north Georgia area? I have seen some events similar to the ones I mentioned in "YouTube" postings from an organization in New Hampshire. I wondered if anyone down here wanted to meet in person.

One question - since carrying of firearms is prohibited in "public places" - does that hinder such a meeting?

Hammer

rmodel65

imported post

public places are not off limits at all;) only public gathering like government building, church, political rallies and organized sporting events or anywhere people are gather for a specific function say a public concert in a park.

welcome to the forum, i suggest you take a few minutes and read the gun laws in plain english here at www.georgiapacking.org

hammerg26

imported post

You are correct, I misspoke. Point I was trying to convey is that there is a gray area which LEOs may construe to be a "public gathering"... to quote the georgiacarry site, "So basically a public gathering in addition to the 5 defined areas is an event or function that the general public gathers or will gather for. This may be a parade, music event, free contests, presentation speakers, or any other publicized event that the general public can gather for." Therefore, if a group of people who are open carrying "gather" for an event, do we risk being in violation of that statute??? Seems quite iffy. :(:banghead:

rmodel65

imported post

well if the gathering was just invited guests i dont see how it would be public ;)
but i am not a lawyer:p

Jonas Salk

imported post

hammerg26 wrote:
Are there any plans for "open carry" gatherings (i.e. picnics, road clean up) in the north Georgia area? I have seen some events similar to the ones I mentioned in "YouTube" postings from an organization in New Hampshire. I wondered if anyone down here wanted to meet in person.

One question - since carrying of firearms is prohibited in "public places" - does that hinder such a meeting?

Hammer
I see that someone else is a fan of Ridley Report!

I'd be interested in such a gathering.

imolaavant

imported post

Jonas Salk wrote:
I see that someone else is a fan of Ridley Report!

I'd be interested in such a gathering.
Add me to the list of Dave Ridley fans (and most other NH freedom groups). I too would be interested in an open carry event in the area. Maybe after the holidays we can throw something together.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

devo1123 wrote:
Dave Ridley is the MAN!
I don't know. Is that the guy who likes to prattle on and on with the police, instead of just asking, "Am I free to go?" and going on about his business?

hammerg26

imported post

Yeah - it makes for great videos. :)
Anyone up for getting together - maybe down where the LEOs keep harassing open carry.
Anyone?