• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA & GUN CONTROL

Swampbeast

imported post

Although GOA is more in line with my personal views, there would be a lot more gun control on the books if it weren't for the NRA. In recent years, they've actively supported things like concealed carry rights, castle doctrine laws, protecting employees with anti-gun employers with parking lot laws, national park carry,and helped prevent the "assault weapons" ban from being re-authorized or gun shows from being banned.

As the largest pro-gun organization, we should all support it if we want to keep our rights.

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Swampbeast wrote:
Although GOA is more in line with my personal views, there would be a lot more gun control on the books if it weren't for the NRA. In recent years, they've actively supported things like concealed carry rights, castle doctrine laws, protecting employees with anti-gun employers with parking lot laws, national park carry,and helped prevent the "assault weapons" ban from being re-authorized or gun shows from being banned.

As the largest pro-gun organization, we should all support it if we want to keep our rights.
No one can deny that the NRA has had a very positive effect. No, they're not "pure" but that's also why they have clout and are able to get things done. GOA is great for purity but their accomplishments are pretty much nil (except for bashing the NRA). Not all gun owners are purists, but the NRA is able to bring them all under one big tent and that is what makes them so powerful. Thank god for the NRA.

I'm a purist and NRA members and proud to be both. But oh, isn't it fun to show your individuality by bashing the NRA! :?

Don't forget that NRA members can vote on board positions after being members for 5 years or immediately if you join as a lifetime member. The more purist members the better.

Dustin

imported post

LiveFreeOrDie wrote:
No one can deny that the NRA has had a very positive effect. No, they're not "pure" but that's also why they have clout and are able to get things done. GOA is great for purity but their accomplishments are pretty much nil (except for bashing the NRA). Not all gun owners are purists, but the NRA is able to bring them all under one big tent and that is what makes them so powerful. Thank god for the NRA.

I'm a purist and NRA members and proud to be both. But oh, isn't it fun to show your individuality by bashing the NRA! :?

Don't forget that NRA members can vote on board positions after being members for 5 years or immediately if you join as a lifetime member. The more purist members the better.

Sounds like you haven't read an article on that website at all.

I'm asking for a documented rebuttle to ANY claim made on that site about the NRA, I'm NOT asking for your mere opinion ;)

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I've read the website before. One of the state gun organizations up here in New Hampshire links to it. It's a whole bunch of crap.

The website is very clearly not unbiased...the author clearly hates the NRA, as he attacks it for unfair reasons. I'm all for accountability, but claiming the NRA supports a Wisconsin handgun ban because of a typo...meanwhile, they're spending millions upon millions of dollars to challenge handgun bans in Illinois and California? Don't insult me!! Things like that make it hard for me to take anything else it says seriously.

The website attacks the NRA for the opinions of one of its board members on its 400-member board. I don't like that particular board member, but if there were enough purists like us, we wouldn't need to work with people like him. Guess what...we do.

Yes, the NRA tried to take control of the Heller case. They're territorial. So what. They do a good job at protecting my rights...why should I care.

And yes, they take positions that aren't purist. That's because, to be effective, they have to stay mainstream so they pick their battles. Again, so what.

We could be join the "pure" GOA, but their accomplishments are pretty much zero. Nope, you need a big tent, a mainstream movement if you want to succeed.