• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to do when your employer has rules against guns??

tacmedic911

imported post

I think this may be more of a question than anything. I am starting a new job downtown Spokane. I will be utilizing our wonderful public transit system to get from a north park and ride to downtown then the short walk to the office. The issue is, my new employer has a NO GUNS rule for their building and I don't want to be "naked" while walking the streets, and while on the bus.

Anyone else have this issue? What do you do? I know what I want to do but I'm not sure if it will cost me the job. Any help would be appreciated.

G27

imported post

At my prior job I concealed my G27 for two and a half years. It was always on me IWB and I never had a problem. It can be done very easily for those who know what they're doing and value their life more than their job.

bcp

imported post

Tell them you are dislexic, and you thought it was a NO GNUS policy.

:D

Seriously, pepper spray instead?

Bruce

grishnav

imported post

tacmedic911 wrote:
I think this may be more of a question than anything. I am starting a new job downtown Spokane. I will be utilizing our wonderful public transit system to get from a north park and ride to downtown then the short walk to the office. The issue is, my new employer has a NO GUNS rule for their building and I don't want to be "naked" while walking the streets, and while on the bus.

Anyone else have this issue? What do you do? I know what I want to do but I'm not sure if it will cost me the job. Any help would be appreciated.
If you cant avoid feeling dishonorable about it somehow, hide it well and lie. It's not fraudulent because they aren't loosing anything or being harmed in any way (assuming you're responsible).

If you feel dishonorable about that, go naked until you can find a different job.

Or split the difference and go armed while you look for a new job.

If it's a small company, there's a fair chance that the rule was written by a business process droid that was hired to help the company document their practices and put together a standard employee handbook, and the owner didn't even realize the rule had slipped in and doesn't actually agree with it. You might be able to convince them to change the rule, if that's the case. Otherwise, good luck...

tacmedic911

imported post

Their policy reads:

Posession of Weapons:

"" will not tolerate weapons of any kind on its premises, including the parking lot and all surrounding land deemed as company property.This applies to any article which can be construed as a weapon (including, but not limited to, guns, ammunition, knives, etc.) Possession of such articles is grounds for dismissal.

The other issue is that they have lockers that they provide. In the "rules" that accompany the locker they say that they can check the contents of the locker at any time without my presence.

They have a form for you to sign that says basically that you understand that all employees are strictly prohibited from using the locker to store any any items listed belowat any time and if you do you will be fired immediatley. heres the list.

Firearms, explosives, or weapons of any kind

and the the usual poisons, hazmat, alcoholetc.

My thought was, that I would leave my weapon in thelocker, but I am not so sure anymore....

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Keltec P3AT's, J-frame S&W revolvers, and Kahr 9mm's were all invented for this specific purpose. (No, not really, but they do work well in this situation!) Hide it and don't yap about being a "gun person" and no one will ever know. Good luck. (My boss knows nothing about my ankle holster, and it's been 2+ years.)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Like any "problem", its just two counter-opposed concerns of nearly equal weight. They're in seeming balance, butopposed: Must have a job. Must have a gun. Job says no guns.

Unbalance them, and you'll be able to resolve the issue for yourself. For example,

Are the bus routes and transfers through neighborhoodsthat are a bit dangerous?

Do you really, really need this job on your career path? What happens ifyour covertly-carried gun is discovered? What happens if a snoopy HR employee decides to consult the public record and sees you have a CCW license? What happens if they find some other complete knucklehead has been bringing a gun to work,and they decide on a general search, wand people at the door, etc.

Etc., etc.

Just work it back and forth. You'll find the answer that works for you.

gsx1138

imported post

Those who know me know that I work in a hospital. The no weapons policy is in effect there. If anything I think policies are written that way for insurance reason. Anyway, there are several staff (nurses and MD's) that carry. You can't save a life if you give yours up.

Wheelgunner

imported post

Personal confession time.

I worked for Harborview as a pharmacy tech for a while. I knew about their no gun policy but I thought that "they" would never notice if I kept it hidden. This was in a time when nurses were getting raped in Harborview's parking lot.

Wrong...

Long story short; they fired me, filed a letter of reprimand in my file and complained to the Pharmacy board so that I nearly lost my license. This in a position where I was never in contact with the public!

Look for another job. Don't violate their policy and try to get pity or understanding from your current employer after the fact. Don't expect a prospective new employer to sympathize either. He will fully expect that you will not follow any of the NEW rules that you don't agree with and judge your application in that light. It is a lot harder to find a new job with a red flag on your record.

Also carry a .44 revolver or a 10mm Auto (The NEW Bren TEN is looking Good!)

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

fetch wrote:
tacmedic911,
You will have a hard time riding the bus also. Read the
"rules of conduct" number 11 in particular. We are working to get things changed, maybe you can join us.

http://spokanetransit.com/aboutsta/documents/Rules%20of%20Conduct%20April%202007.pdf
I don't see the problem:

First:

Carrying any flammable liquid, explosive, acid, or other article or material likely to cause harm to others except that nothing herein shall prevent a person from carrying a cigarette, cigar, or pipe lighter or carrying a firearm or ammunition in a way that is not otherwise prohibited by law; (RCW 9.91.025/SMC 10.10.100)
Ok, that jives with state law and does not prohibit carry.

Carrying, exhibiting, displaying, or drawing any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons, unless otherwise authorized by law; (RCW 9.41.270)
Same here! I don't see the problem unless there is someone there interpreting these in a manner inconsistent with the interpretation of our State Courts.
-

fetch

imported post

Yes, Right Wing there is a problem. The STA is a publicly funded private corporation. Not to go into particulars, but they set their own rules. There has been some people already involved in getting rules changed. They have been ignored by STA.

tacmedic911, we just had a meeting this weekend. Please, get in touch with me.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I've been at the same company for 9.5 years. This company also has a no weapons policy that has been in effect for the last 5 years due to a employee issue.
I have worked with the company to change its policy for the last 2 years. I wrote letters, sent lots of email, met with senior HR personnel and the head of security. There was no way they will make changes to the policy. I did however get them to make changes to the security processes for the building.
At the present time I cannot lock my weapon in my vehicle on company property without losing my job, so I park down the street in another garage when I drive in. I hope that legislation will change soon that will allow Washington employees, like other states to allow us to lock up weapons in vehicles on company property.

I found other devices that I could carry for protection, stun guns, bear spray and so far none have had to be used.

compmanio365

imported post

For me, this is what carrying concealed was meant for.....hence why the Kel Tec fits right into the pocket. Nobody need know its there until I need to use it, at which time I don't really give a damn what the company policy is.

amlevin

imported post

In my case I ignored the policy. For 15 years I carried both in my Co Car (considered Company property) andin my office. Only time I disarmed was when I went into the airport and then I put my pistol/ammo in my checked luggage. I smiled and "lost" those notices from HR that requested I "read and sign". Always seemed to be out of town when they kept sending me e-mails to sign the acknowlegement and send it to them.

To each his own, but in my case it paid to use good concealment.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Tacmedic911:

From your handle, it's easy to hypothesize what you do for a living. You may want to consider that when posting about your dilemma to carry or not. It is not all that difficult for a potential employer to search out your forum posts.

Nobody can tell you what to do, but here are some considerations:

1) What are the ramifications of carrying and being "outed"? Would you lose only a job, or would youlose a license that is necessary to your career?

2) Does your job require you to go places where carry is illegal, such as schools, courtrooms, police stations, or jails?

3) How does the risk of facing a lethal threat coming or going from work compare to the chance of being outed and losing your job?

4) Are there other defensive tool you can carry besides a gun?

There are carry options that are nearly undetectable, if your job would never cause you to have to disarm. Check out the SmartCarry -- I find it much less detectable that an ankle holster or belly band. Something small like a Kel-Tec or Kahr, or even a snubbie, won't be noticed unless you are frisked.

This is a tough decision, so think it through carefully.

Charles

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

'Course, he could always just remind them that not all medics are non-combatants. :)

One of thefinest Navy corpsmen I ever met was fully ready (well armed) and willing to fight. Korea for sure. Viet Nam, maybe--can't recall anymore.

Walker

imported post

I work downtown, but park in a non-company owned lot. My weapon is locked in the car while I'm at work.

Fortunately, my company does not ban folding knives......

Good luck,

Walker

mb419

imported post

Is your job worth your life?? Some "policies" should be simply ignored. Don't allow someone else to take away your rights and your means of self defense for whatever asinine reason they come up with. Think of yourself and your family.