• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long do we have to wait to OC in Virginia Parks?

Thundar

imported post

There has been no move by DGIF to change the Administrative Code even after the Attorney General issued his opinion.

We need to light a fire under the DGIF's butts! There is no reason for them to take this long.

67GT390FB

imported post

Thundar wrote:
There has been no move by DGIF to change the Administrative Code even after the Attorney General issued his opinion.

We need to light a fire under the DGIF's butts! There is no reason for them to take this long.
There is no wonder that DGIF has made no move to change anything about State Parks.

The DGIF has nothing to do with the control of State Parks.

DGIF has control of WMA's.

The Department of Conservation and Recreation has the authority over State Parks.

If you are going to light fire under someones butt we had better make sure it is the correct agency.

Joe

2a4all

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
Thundar wrote:

There is no wonder that DGIF has made no move to change anything about State Parks.

The DGIF has nothing to do with the control of State Parks.

DGIF has control of WMA's.

The Department of Conservation and Recreation has the authority over State Parks.

If you are going to light fire under someones butt we had better make sure it is the correct agency.

Joe
Joe is correct in that DGIF administers WMAs, not State Parks. IMHO, WMAs are just a type of State Park.

WMAs have a rule that says loaded firearms may not be carried in any vehicles while on WMA property. This includes CHP holder's handguns. (You can walk, but you cannot ride.)

However, it is believed that the AG rulings (opinions) (9/2002, 9/2008) applies equally. VCDL is looking into this. Meanwhile, if you're in a vehicle, unload.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

I have a call into my contact at State Parks to see where they are on this issue. I contacted them when the AG's opinion came out and they said they would look at it.

I haven't heard a peep, so hence my call. I hope I will hear back next week.

2a4all

imported post

FWIW, I searched the Va Administrative Code and found this:

4VAC5-30-30. Territorial scope.
All Virginia State Parks Regulations shall be effective within and upon all state parks, historical and natural areas, roads, sites and other recreational areas in the Commonwealth which may be under the jurisdiction of the Department of Conservation and Recreation and shall regulate the use thereof by all persons.
Statutory Authority
§ 10.1-104 of the Code of Virginia.
Historical Notes
Derived from VR215-01-02 § 3, eff. May 4, 1983.

4VAC5-30-200. Firearms.
No person except employees, police officers, or officers of the department shall carry or possess firearms of any description, or airguns, within the park. This regulation shall not apply in areas designated for hunting by the Department of Conservation and Recreation. This regulation also shall not apply to the carrying of concealed handguns within state parks by holders of a valid concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to § 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.
Statutory Authority
§ 10.1-104 of the Code of Virginia.
Historical Notes
Derived from VR215-01-02 § 20, eff. May 4, 1983; amended, Virginia Register Volume 19, Issue 9, eff. February 12, 2003.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything about Open Carry...