• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA-ALERT: ACTION ITEM - 2009 Legislation introduction!

xd.40

imported post

----------------------------------------
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings.html
----------------------------------------
Now is the time to contact your Delegate and your Senator and ask them to pre-file two pro-gun bills:

1. A bill to completely repeal the restaurant ban, allowing permit holders to carry just like off-duty and untrained Commonwealth Attorneys can now do.

2. A bill to allow a CHP holder to carry on K-12 school property, just like off-duty and untrained Commonwealth Attorneys can now do.

--

To ask your Senator, click here:

http://tinyurl.com/5mj2ud

--

To ask your Delegate, click here:

http://tinyurl.com/5fka8y

--

LET'S NOT FORGET THE GOVERNOR!

Here is a suggested message for the Governor:

--

Dear Governor Kaine,

I urge you to support the following two bills when introduced in the General Assembly.

Both bills give trained concealed-handgun permit holders the same carry rights as an untrained and off-duty state lawyer based on a bill (SB 776) that you signed into law in the 2008 session:

1. A bill to strike 18.2-308 J3. This will allow a trained person with a concealed handgun permit to be able to carry concealed in a restaurant or club that serves alcoholic beverages, as untrained Commonwealth Attorneys can now do.

2. A bill to allow a trained concealed handgun permit holder to carry on K-12 school grounds, as untrained Commonwealth Attorneys can now.

A recent Attorney General's Opinion provided to Delegate Lee Ware on June 10, 2008, confirmed that, based on your signing SB 776 into law, effective July 1, 2008, Commonwealth Attorneys and their deputies can carry concealed firearms into restaurants serving alcoholic beverages and can carry concealed firearms on K-12 property.

As a law-abiding citizen who has been screened, background checked, and trained in order to meet the criteria for a state issued concealed handgun permit, I should have at least the same rights as an off-duty state lawyer for whom no firearms training is required.

Please let me know what you are going to do.

--

You can send the message above to the Governor by clicking here and doing a copy/paste:

http://tinyurl.com/32qkqr

For the subject use something like:

Support gun owners like you supported state lawyers!

--

Please forward me any responses that you receive. (president@vcdl.org)

Let's roll VCDL!

ETA the email address...

Harper1227

imported post

Auto reply from the Governor's office
This email is to confirm that I have received your electronic
correspondence, and I appreciate your taking the time to share your
thoughts with me.

If your email requires a response please allow sufficient time for in
depth analysis and processing.

If you need to correspond further with me, please return to our e-mail
form:
http://www.governor.virginia.gov/abouttheGovernor/contactGovernor.cfm

Sincerely,

Tim Kaine

Governor of Virginia

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I received a very interesting response from my Delegate, Bob Marshall.

[font="Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"][font="Default Serif,Times New Roman,Times,serif"][/font]
Dear Mr. xxxx:
I have long supported responsible gun owners to secure concealed carry permits. Back in the 1990’s I opposed the gun a month law which passed anyway, I supported a revamping of Virginia’s concealed carry law, and I opposed amendments weakening concealed carry rights.

In 2005 I voted for HB 2535 which allows the holder of a valid concealed handgun permit to possess a concealed handgun on school property while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular access or exit from the school.

And in 2008 I voted for SB 476 which allowed concealed handgun permit holders to enter a restaurant where alcohol is served but which prohibits a person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of a restaurant or club from consuming an alcoholic beverage while on the premises.

In 2008 I and Del. Gilbert introduced concealed carry bills.

I would have voted for HB 1371 (Gilbert) which prohibits a state entity, including the board of visitors of a state institution of higher education, from prohibiting the possession of a handgun on state property by a person with a valid concealed handgun permit, unless expressly authorized by statute to adopt such a rule, regulation, or policy. This is directed primarily at sate college Boars of Visitors which have prohibited concealed carry permit holders who are students from exercising concealed carry rights on a campus.

Additionally, I introduced HB 424 which allows full-time faculty members of state institutions of higher education who possess a valid Virginia concealed handgun permit to carry a concealed handgun on campus.

However, Republican Speaker Bill Howell made it very clear he did not want these bills considered, and Militia and Police Chair Beverly Sherwood refused to call our bills up for a hearing. Del. Gilbert and I held a press conference at the end of the 2008 session and criticized Speaker Howell for this gag rule he imposed on our concealed carry bills.

Republican Majority leader Morgan Griffith said the bills would have failed if they were reported to the floor. But his statement does not square with his own actions in pulling a bill from the House floor when I offered an amendment to another bill which would have allowed professors to carry on campus.

When I was not in the House Chamber because of a previously scheduled meeting in Northern Virginia, Del. Griffith called up the bill I wanted to amend and it passed without my proposed concealed carry amendment.

What I am saying is that I am not hopeful the Republican leadership will assist us in this matter.

There is the additional problem that Speaker Bill Howell in 2008 pushed for and secured a House Rules change which limits all delegates to only introducing 15 bills per year. I talked to the Speaker about this at the Clemson-UVA game, Saturday, November 22. He told me no one ever asked him to introduce more than 15 bills, and that he saw no reason that any House of Delegates member should be allowed to introduce more than 15 bills. I disagreed with him, pointing out that I have more registered voters than some Virginia state Senate districts.

I voted AGAINST this rules changed and another one which provided for secret votes in sub-committees and was punished by Speaker Howell by being denied a committee chairmanship, removed as vice chair from a committee I had been on since 1992 and was subject to other “penalties.”

You may want to contact Speaker Howell and Del. Griffith to let them know of your concerns about the way they are handling concealed carry bills, and their support for limits on the number of bills members may introduce.

They can be reached at: delwhowell@house.state.va.us and delmgriffith@house.state.va.us

The state senate has no such rules limiting the number of bills senators may introduce.

Sincerely,

Delegate Bob Marshall
[/font]
He included an article discussing how pro-gun bills were tabled, but I'm omitting it to save some space.

I hope the constituents for the two delegates mentioned are quite vocal with them.

Edited: Fixed the formatting, so it's easier to read.

Virginian683

imported post

You're wasting your time with Kaine. He made clear his position on upholding his oath to support the US constitution when he vetoed the restaurant ban repeal the first time. He can't run for reelection, so he'll be under no incentive to listen to any voters' opinions.

He also flat out denied the legislation he signed lets untrained commonwealth's attorneys carry guns drunk, (or while drinking) which it does.

Of course we can hope Republicans gain a veto-proof majority in both houses, (or else conservative Democrats) but that seems exceedingly unlikely.

Frankly I am very worried the next 10 years will see a gradual reversal of all the victories won in this state. Fairfax county alone gave Obama Virginia. Within 10 years Fairfax County and Alexandria (with help from the ghettos of Richmond and Norfolk) will be dictating the entire politics of the state.

We ought to seriously consider ceding Fairfax to Maryland if they'll take it. Better to lose a few counties than lose the whole state. To sweeten the deal we can throw in 500 copies of Das Kapital which ought to work even the most recalcitrant Maryland legislator into a drooling frenzy.

But honestly I'm not too concerned about this stuff -- none of it will affect me anyway. I plan on moving to Hopewell and running for Harbormaster.... then I can legally pack a MAC-10 and go get drunk with Tim Kaine & the CA as we laugh at the status of you miserable peons.

Virginian683

imported post

This delegate Bob Marshall sounds like an good man. I think it's clear that Republican leadership in the House is composed of slime.

However, why does any delegate need to introduce more than 15 bills?? If you ask me, the whole General Assembly ought to be limited to 15 bills.

More government = less freedom.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
You're wasting your time with Kaine. He made clear his position on upholding his oath to support the US constitution when he vetoed the restaurant ban repeal the first time. He can't run for reelection, so he'll be under no incentive to listen to any voters' opinions.
And don't forget, at the time he vetoed the restaurant-ban repeal, he was hoping to be Obama's VP. Now that is not an option, but another high-level position is, and he can't be seen to be "soft" toward gun owners if he wants to curry favor with the elite.

sccrref

imported post

Tess wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:
And don't forget, at the time he vetoed the restaurant-ban repeal, he was hoping to be Obama's VP. Now that is not an option, but another high-level position is, and he can't be seen to be "soft" toward gun owners if he wants to curry favor with the elite.

Yes this is so. However, if we do not ask, then he does not have to say no. If he says no, then he is on record again as anti gun and this should prove useful in the future to get his anti ass out of office. Once he gets turned down for both spots, he may be pissed off and say yes. :celebrate

All I want for christmas....

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Best of luck to you folks in Virginia. I visit a couple of times a year for various reasons and really appreciate the recognition of my Utah permit. I will fire off a note asking your legislature to support the bills you mention.

I will note (and you might want to as well) that Utah has LONG allowed both of these and we've yet to have any problem with either. There is no restriction on carrying (open or concealed with permit) in any restaurant or bar ("private club" in Utah legalese) or even responsibly imbibing while carrying.

Those with permits are allowed to carry at schools and our State preemption is so strong that school districts cannot have employment policies banning lawful possession of concealed firearms by employees. So our government school teachers can carry both legally and without fear of losing their jobs. This applies K through College. See URS 76-10-5xx available at <http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/76_10.htm> for details if you are interested.

Private schools, can of course have whatever policy they like. But violation of said policy is a private employment matter, NOT a crime.

Simply put, you are NOT asking your legislature to blaze new ground here. What you are proposing has been the law in Utah for a number of years and we've never had problems with it.

Charles Hardy
GOUtah! (Gun Owners of Utah)