• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Four La Cities ranked as dangerous, N.O. tops.

sraacke

imported post

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=9411030
Four Louisiana cities considered some of the most dangerous in America

9411030_BG1.jpg

pxl_trans.gif

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A new report ranks four Louisiana cities as some of the most dangerous in the country, classifying one as THE most dangerous in America.

Lafayette comes in at 75 on the list of 385 cities. Shreveport is ranked a little worse at 54. Baton Rouge climbs up the chart to 31. The study considers New Orleans the most dangerous U.S. city.

The report was done by CQ Press. The independent publisher states the number of murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, and car thefts were used to rank cities across the country.
When it came down to it, Baton Rouge beat out major cities like Dallas, Houston, and Miami in the number of those crimes per capita. As for New Orleans, one Tulane criminologist blames what he calls "semi-organized, drug-dealing kids with low moral IQs and guns."

And from The Advocate/WBRZ-

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/35044999.html
Study: BR 31st most violent city

Baton Rouge ranked as the 31st most violent city in the nation, an improvement of three spots from the previous year, according to a national study released Monday.

Sgt. Don Kelly, a spokesman for the Baton Rouge Police Department, said he couldn’t respond to the study because he had not yet seen it.

Kelly said the department posts all of its crime statistics monthly on its Web site — http://www.brgov.com/dept/brpd/ — and the department also voluntarily reports the information to the FBI.

The city’s ranking comes from a study conducted by CQ Press, a division of Congressional Quarterly Inc., and published annually.
The report ranks 385 cities with populations of 75,000 or more that report crime data to the FBI.

The rankings are calculated by using data from six crime categories: murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and motor vehicle theft.

Crime rates per 100,000 people for those crimes are plugged into a formula that measures how a city or metropolitan area compares to the national crime rate for a specific crime.

Many law enforcement professionals and academics who study trends in crime have questioned CQ Press’ methodology.

sraacke

imported post

When people ask me why I feel it necessary to carry a gun for protection I think of studies like this. Heck, It's incredable to me that someone living here wouldn't carry a gun for self defense.