• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rifle info?

Carnivore

imported post

One answer!

Trench coat!

You better do some homework on that one, I'm not sure and Conceal instructor would even consider your inquiry legit, orif it is even legal to get a card that authorizes conceal longgun. keep us posted on your findings, although you'll most likely get kicked in the shins shortly because of the lack of OCsubstance in your post..

smash29

imported post

OK, all I wasasking forwas some guidance on where, OUTSIDE of this forum, I might find information to help me make an educated choice when purchasing a rifle. Websites, message boards, that kind of thing. I wasonly looking for a referral and not trying to start a conversation or thread on the specifics of rifles because I know it would take mere minutes for someone to scream "This has nothing to do with Open Carry! Moderator, please delete this thread!!!!". I understand that this is an open carry message board but I also thought,perhaps mistakenly, that there might bea gun enthusiast or two here who might point me in the right direction. Maybe that'stoo much to ask.

My comment about concealing a rifle was a tongue-in-cheek attempt at humor and I should know by now that that doesn't play very well here.

thorvaldr

imported post

http://www.ar15.com/

These guys seem to have a lot of info.
You've posted in the "general discussion" area so usually questions that are gun related at all are welcomed. There are plenty of gun enthusiasts on this board but we need a more specific question to help you. We can't recommend a rifle without knowing what you want to do with it. Is there a specific animal you would like to hunt? Do you want it for home defense? Or do you just want a gun to have fun shooting?

A good start would be:
1. What sort of targets do you want to engage?
2. How far away do you intend to engage them?
3. What sort of money do you want to spend?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smash29 wrote:
While one could possibly stretch the definition of "Open Carry" to include rifles (does anyone CC a rifle?).
Actually, CC of a rifle or shotgun is perfectly legal in MO with a CCW. I have never done so, but I know one person who lclaims to have CC'd a pistol grip shotgun in a sling under a duster one time to try it out.

We have had plenty of conversations on here about rifles over the last few years and there are a LOT of members here who can and will give you great advice about them.

smash29

imported post

This concept...

"keep us posted on your findings, although you'll most likely get kicked in the shins shortly because of the lack of OCsubstance in your post.."

.... perfectly sums up why I chose not topose specific questionsbut insteadask for a general referral to other informational sites. I knew that someone would inevitably bring up the fact that what I was asking about had nothing to do with OC and I really don't care to argue the point. Been there, done that, not doing it again. I foundthis board2 days after I bought my first gun,4 days after I first shot a gun, and I've learned a lot from it. It's great for info about a number of things (handguns, handgun calibers, open carry, etc.) but my experience has shown me that levity, tongue in cheek humor, opinions, or questions that could in any way be classified as off the topic of OCall too often bring "delete this thread!" demandswhich, if countered,are then followed upwith "troll" accusations. I've had this happenbefore and I don't care to have it happen again.

Wow, now that I read this I realize that it could easily be judged too off topic. I'll save everyone the trouble:

Moderator: Please delete this message!

Edit: Sorry guys, it took me a while to type this, the last msg I saw was thors. Thanks for the tips, I'll check them out.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smash29 wrote:
but my experience has shown me that levity, tongue in cheek humor, opinions, or questions that could in any way be classified as off the topic of OCall too often bring "delete this thread!" demandswhich, if countered,are then followed upwith "troll" accusations. I've had this happenbefore and I don't care to have it happen again.
Meh, there are a few people around who get a little uptight. There are several of us who crack jokes and enjoy levity, irony and subtle humor. What's the saying? "Don't let the bastards get you down." We have all types on the forum and some are wound tighter than others. I've had people get on my case also, but heh, it's the internet. I've been here long enough and with enough posts that they just ignore me now instead of complaining. :p

Like I said above, we have had plenty of discussions about rifles on here. There are a few threads about ARs and AKs going on now. Relax and ask your question. If John or Mike have an issue with the thread they'll tell you, post about it or close it. Not a big deal.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

smash29 wrote:
Moderator: Please delete this message!
smash29you can easily go back and edit any unwanted comments from your own post. Just highlight it and click on the scissors icon. But you already know that. Don't sweat it, we all make hasty mistakes from temps du temps.

I often look back at my posts later and think...ooh that sounds kinda catty. That's a chance to fix it then.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
What's the saying? "Don't let the bastards get you down."
Illigitimi non carborundum...or something to that effect.

deepdiveris right. My twisted humor often gets taken seriously.

Just remember, if you have a question chances are others have the same question and may not want to ask it.

smash29

imported post

cccook wrote:
smash29you can easily go back and edit any unwanted comments from your own post. Just highlight it and click on the scissors icon. But you already know that. Don't sweat it, we all make hasty mistakes from temps du temps.

I often look back at my posts later and think...ooh that sounds kinda catty. That's a chance to fix it then.
Yeah, I've done the edit thing before and took advantage of it in this very thread to get rid of my post initiating it. I was just being facetious with the bit you quoted.

Carnivore

imported post

Smash29

I am by no means an authority on this site, I didn't reply to your post in an effort to kill your topic, in fact I replied as to (keep us posted on your findings) I just know That I had a post once as to an inquiry about our new Commander In Chief and his history and upbringing, and promptly got a Private message that it was an unacceptable topic and to refrain from it in the future, only to set here and see another dozen Obama topics fly across my screen in the days following my inquiry..

Post away brother, Personally I don't see a need for a CC Long gun, but hey If thats your preference for carrying, then it's your right.. ;)

thorvaldr

imported post

Seriously. Look at the other topics in the general forum. Theres stuff about: Building a cheap AR. Which do you like better AR or AK? Is this a good price for an AK? The Army is looking for an M4 replacement. Look the Russians are going to 9MM for their SMG. Etc. I've never seen anyone complain about rifle discussions. So if you have a question, ask it. FYI on concealed rifles, IIRC it's not legal in Colorado, our concealed permits are specifically for pistols.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Since this topic is 'off-topic' x2 already, I'll ask for some rifle info....
Has anyone had any experience with the new Smith and Wesson 'I-Bolt'?
(http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/ibolt_081507/index.html)
I was looking at one yesterday at the local gun shop (25-06) and really liked it! Cant wait till I get it out of layaway and can get it to the range to see how it does!