• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

is this for real??

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.scfirearms.org/Legislative/LegislationUpdate.html
Sen. Dick Elliott (D-Horry) sponsored S. 1259 which would require serial numbers on handgun & "assault weapon" ammunition. If passed into law, this awful bill would have a serious negative impact on the cost of ammunition and probably cripple reloading by individual shooters. It is doubtful that this bill will go anywhere because it was introduced so late in this session. GrassRoots leaders believe this bill was introduced only to help Sen. Elliott with fund raising from anti-gun groups and to cause concern in the pro-gun community. GrassRoots will be closely watching this bill and will get a Senator to put the bill on the contested calendar if it starts to move. As we have seen so many times before, putting a bill on the contested calendar is a good way to kill it.
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess117_2007-2008/bills/1259.htm

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It died in KY and MO and some other states as well although I don't recall which.

IIRC this "movement" was started by the company that developed the technology for bullet and brass microstamping.

thorvaldr

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
It died in KY and MO and some other states as well although I don't recall which.

IIRC this "movement" was started by the company that developed the technology for bullet and brass microstamping.
Died in CA, too. And yes, it's only being pushed by the guys who invented it.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

It died in AZ too; it never even got a committee hearing. One of the sponsors even rescinded his sponsorship and apologized as a result of a call from AZCDL.

That's according to a message I received from AZCDL when I wrote an email about my concern over the bill.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Chuck Anesi has a website where until recently he ran an article about the AZ "Microstamping Bill" which he said sounded like it was "written by a third-grader".

He then made a "decision tree" using computer coding symbols starting with "ROSCOE BELCHES HOT LEAD" and going through a series pf permutations (Perp known? - YES - microstamps superfluous - NO- bullet/casong found? NO (the likely case) YES- etcetera and at the end concluded that in one out of 500 gun murders you will be able to ask the buyer of some ammo how it came to beused in a crime, and "That and $3.50 will get you a cuppa coffee". Anesi is a great de-boolcrapifier and I reccommend his site to everyone, just on G.P. s

nova

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Oh, the "microstamping" crapola again. Amonumental and unworkable boondoggle that will only waste everyone's time and money. They do try, though,don't they?

It isn't microstamping. It's simply ammo that is coded and put in a database. In other words, you buy ammo at the store, the government knows you bought ammo. Supposedly a bullet recovered would have the numbered coding on it and they would look it up in their database and know who bought the ammo.

Sure that sounds all well and good (other than violating our rights) until you realize that it doesn't tell who shot the ammo, only who bought it.

Which is why gun (and ammo) registration does not work and is only there to track law abiding gun owners.