• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Russian Analyst Predicts Breakup of USA

Flintlock

imported post

Not necessarilyOC related but the articleis pertinent to healthy discussion of potential civil unrest scenariosand brewingfactions of resistance due to tremendouseconomic turmoil.

Sounds outlandish, but what is your opinion?

My opinion is that thisis a typical foreign observation from a political analyst of an unfriendly country and he fails to understand thecontinuity and patriotism of our people and that something like his theorywould only occur as an absolutely last resort after all other efforts to reapir our country have failed.

I also LOL at the concept of Russia "claiming" Alaska as they ceded it to us per a purchase treaty for 7.2 million dollars in 1867. It was not leased...

http://www.bartleby.com/43/43.html

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashrur.htm

RUSSIAN ANALYST PREDICTS DECLINE AND BREAKUP OF USA
Tue Nov 25 2008 09:04:22 ET

A leading Russian political analyst has said the economic turmoil in the United States has confirmed his long-held view that the country is heading for collapse, and will divide into separate parts.

Professor Igor Panarin said in an interview with the respected daily IZVESTIA published on Monday: "The dollar is not secured by anything. The country's foreign debt has grown like an avalanche, even though in the early 1980s there was no debt. By 1998, when I first made my prediction, it had exceeded $2 trillion. Now it is more than 11 trillion. This is a pyramid that can only collapse."

The paper said Panarin's dire predictions for the U.S. economy, initially made at an international conference in Australia 10 years ago at a time when the economy appeared strong, have been given more credence by this year's events.

When asked when the U.S. economy would collapse, Panarin said: "It is already collapsing. Due to the financial crisis, three of the largest and oldest five banks on Wall Street have already ceased to exist, and two are barely surviving. Their losses are the biggest in history. Now what we will see is a change in the regulatory system on a global financial scale: America will no longer be the world's financial regulator."

When asked who would replace the U.S. in regulating world markets, he said: "Two countries could assume this role: China, with its vast reserves, and Russia, which could play the role of a regulator in Eurasia."

Asked why he expected the U.S. to break up into separate parts, he said: "A whole range of reasons. Firstly, the financial problems in the U.S. will get worse. Millions of citizens there have lost their savings. Prices and unemployment are on the rise. General Motors and Ford are on the verge of collapse, and this means that whole cities will be left without work. Governors are already insistently demanding money from the federal center. Dissatisfaction is growing, and at the moment it is only being held back by the elections and the hope that Obama can work miracles. But by spring, it will be clear that there are no miracles."

He also cited the "vulnerable political setup", "lack of unified national laws", and "divisions among the elite, which have become clear in these crisis conditions."

He predicted that the U.S. will break up into six parts - the Pacific coast, with its growing Chinese population; the South, with its Hispanics; Texas, where independence movements are on the rise; the Atlantic coast, with its distinct and separate mentality; five of the poorer central states with their large Native American populations; and the northern states, where the influence from Canada is strong.

He even suggested that "we could claim Alaska - it was only granted on lease, after all." Panarin, 60, is a professor at the Diplomatic Academy of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and has authored several books on information warfare.

Developing...

Legba

imported post

The "respected daily" Izvestia was the other Party apparatus besides Pravda back in the Union days, so consider the source, perhaps. As for not having debt in the 80s, I don't think that's correct. In my lifetime, we've had balanced budgets under Nixon and Clinton, IIRC, but that didn't do away with the accumulated aggregate debt.

Most Americans don't havesavings to lose, but those who do are insured and are not getting cleaned out. Bank savings accounts are about the only safe place to have money at present, in fact. Other so-called "securities" are another matter...

This predicted Balkanization is likewise fanciful. I live in a northern state, and I have no idea what "Canadian influence" he's talking about. Maybe Celine Dion is on tour here. I wouldn't know.

Yes, the supposed Alaskan lease agreement is pretty funny as well.

The irony is that if any of this civil unrest comes to pass, I can thank the old Communist regime for meeting at least some of my personal security needs with their hardware, and not this guy.

-ljp

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The entire prediction shows an utter lack of understanding of how America functions and the social/regional divisions in the nation. He argues we will divide into Chinese, Hispanic, Texan, Atlantic Seaboard, Native American and Canadian regions. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever on numerous levels. Most of his "analysis" shows an utter lack of understanding of US demographics, US legal system, and even a fair ignorance of the basis of and operation of our system of government. It also thoroughly ignores that most of the divisions in this nation (as can be seen by looking at the red/blue divides within states) are along urban/rural lines rather than regional lines. Lastly, his comments about Alaska show a willful denial of historical reality.

I find it interesting that he focuses on the economic collapses within the US and replacement by China or Russia as a superpower when while the US has lost about 50% of it's value in this crisis, Russia has lost about 75% and China about 80%. The crisis has hit them much harder in the big economic picture than it has hit the US. That may certainly change quickly in the near future, but today, it shows a lot of chutzpah to make the argument.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
SNIP...it shows a lot of chutzpah to make the argument.

Even money on it being a planted story.

Hopefully, the right people on our team will be looking around to see what they're up to.

The part about respected Isvestia was the give-away. I had the exact same thought Legba opened his post with above.

Gordie

imported post

I don't trust any news agency or agent thereof from the former Soviet Republic.I still remember a Soviet documentary crew coming to Kansas City to do a story on "average American people in an average American city". When they finished, all that they showed were the poor neighborhoods, the homeless, and crime. In one shot you could clearly see the Capitol Building in the background (the U.S. Capitol Building). I lived in the area the whole time that I was growing up, don't remember seeing that view.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
I'm just glad that everybody understands that us Texans will remain Texans!

Really? I stopped after I happen to catch a glimpse of a link to the drudge report. :lol::quirky

Only that joke of a propaganda site would post an article so ridiculous. Stirring the fanatical right-wing pot FTL.

Break up of America coming? Sure. Definitely nothing like he described. We're going to cut and paste the center of the country onto the moon and bring the coasts together. That will improveAmerican societyand simutantiously raise the national average IQ.

Flintlock

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Gator5713 wrote:

Really? I stopped after I happen to catch a glimpse of a link to the drudge report. :lol::quirky

Only that joke of a propaganda site would post an article so ridiculous. Stirring the fanatical right-wing pot FTL.

Break up of America coming? Sure. Definitely nothing like he described. We're going to cut and paste the center of the country onto the moon and bring the coasts together. That will improveAmerican societyand simutantiously raise the national average IQ.

I had forgotten that you were the forum authroity on all subjects and I should have checked with you first to see if it was suitable material...

Do you ever have anything nice to say? Nobody forces you to read this material, much less poor out your negative commentary on a regular basis.Sarcasm is not always necessary to make your point.

Flintlock

imported post

smash29 wrote:
Gator5713 wrote:
Got room for a transplant? If it all goes to hell I'm thinking Texas or Alaska.
Come to Alaska.. We have a lot less people and we have open carry and concealed carry without a permit. Plus, too hot and dry in Texas andwe also have muchbetter fishing.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Legba wrote:
This predicted Balkanization is likewise fanciful.  I live in a northern state, and I have no idea what "Canadian influence" he's talking about.  Maybe Celine Dion is on tour here.  I wouldn't know.
Yeah, leave it to the Russians to view Russia as a microcosm for the whole world. :quirky

smash29

imported post

Thanks for the invite Flintlock, I'll definitelythink aboutit.

After 30 years in CTfollowed by7 in GA I thought I had sworn off the cold forever but I find myself reconsidering ever since I visited AK in May. If I'm going "cold" then I'm going all the way andheading to Alaska.

And yes Nelson, if I do head up there I'll do my part for the defense effort.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
I had forgotten that you were the forum authroity on all subjects and I should have checked with you first to see if it was suitable material...

Do you ever have anything nice to say? Nobody forces you to read this material, much less poor out your negative commentary on a regular basis.Sarcasm is not always necessary to make your point.

If someone here actually agreed with the article, I missed it. My "negativity" is simply me pointing out stupidity where I see it.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
As Illustrated by Glenn Beck:

Hahaha, that's all the proof I need that Glenn Beck is an idiot. WTF does he think he means by "distinct mentality coast"? Idiot. :cuss: Some of our least-free states are on the east coast. California's gun laws, when compared to New York or New Jersey, are positively American. Yes, they need work, but comparing us to China while leaving NY as part of the "distinct mentality coast" (which also contains Virginia, home of the OC movement) is puerile.

Edit: Never mind, I guess it's the Russian who's the idiot. I couldn't bring myself to actually read the article. Oh well.

smash29

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Nelson_Muntz wrote:
As Illustrated by Glenn Beck:
Hahaha, that's all the proof I need that Glenn Beck is an idiot. WTF does he think he means by "distinct mentality coast"? Idiot. :cuss: Some of our least-free states are on the east coast. California's gun laws, when compared to New York or New Jersey, are positively American. Yes, they need work, but comparing us to China while leaving NY as part of the "distinct mentality coast" is puerile.

From Flintlock's post:

He (The Russian analyst) predicted that the U.S. will break up into six parts - the Pacific coast, with its growing Chinese population; the South, with its Hispanics; Texas, where independence movements are on the rise; the Atlantic coast, with its distinct and separate mentality; five of the poorer central states with their large Native American populations; and the northern states, where the influence from Canada is strong.