• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Borrowing a Gun...

Rob357

imported post

I love the site and what your guys are doing. Is it true that i can borrow a friends pistol aslong as i can buy one legally myself...

warlockmatized

imported post

Rob357 wrote:
I love the site and what your guys are doing. Is it true that i can borrow a friends pistol aslong as i can buy one legally myself...
Define borrow.

With a CPL you can borrow/carry/transport someone elses pistol.

Depends on "your"definition of borrow and intended use/plans for borrowed pistol.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
Rob357 wrote:
Define borrow.

With a CPL you can borrow/carry/transport someone elses pistol.

Depends on "your"definition of borrow and intended use/plans for borrowed pistol.
You can only "borrow" someone else's handgun if you have a CPL and the handgun is registered in Michigan. If you have a CPL you can not borrow someones handgun that is registered out of state.

You can not borrow any handgun if you do not have a CPL. You are allowed to shoot or hunt with one IF the person that owns the handgun is in immediate control of you, that is next to you.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Rob357 wrote:

Per MCRGO:

[align=left]I have been told that I cannot loan my pistol to another person. I cannot even hand it to my wife when we are at the range together for her to try it. Is that true?

A:
Effective July 1, 2006, Public Act 75 adds additional information about loaning a pistol to another person.

There is no law against loaning a pistol. The law (MCL 28.421) was amended four years ago to take out the prohibition on loaning a pistol.

While MCL 28.429 states that a person who "comes into possession" of a pistol must present it for safety inspection, no time period is stated in which the inspection must be performed. A person could present it within one day or one year. During that period the person can legally posses the pistol without the green card. In civil law, when no time is stated, a "reasonable time" is presumed. The rule is different for criminal law. In any event the time for presenting the gun for safety inspection is longer than a day at the range or a trip to a shooting meet.

MCL 28.422 requires a person to return a portion of the pistol purchase license to the police within ten days after purchase. This is when the safety inspection is performed in a purchase situation. There is no corresponding provision for a person who "comes into possession" of a pistol by loan.

Sometimes I tell people, who plan to have their spouse's pistol for an extended length of time, to present the pistol for safety inspection. There is nothing in the law that states that more than one person cannot have the pistol safety inspected. In every instance, the person reported back to me that the police refused to inspect the pistol unless there was a sale or transfer of ownership. I simply told them to make a record of their attempt. The record would be good to have if the issue ever arises. [/align]

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Rob357 wrote:

Per MCRGO:

[align=left]I have been told that I cannot loan my pistol to another person. I cannot even hand it to my wife when we are at the range together for her to try it. Is that true?

A:
Effective July 1, 2006, Public Act 75 adds additional information about loaning a pistol to another person.

There is no law against loaning a pistol. The law (MCL 28.421) was amended four years ago to take out the prohibition on loaning a pistol.

While MCL 28.429 states that a person who "comes into possession" of a pistol must present it for safety inspection, no time period is stated in which the inspection must be performed. A person could present it within one day or one year. During that period the person can legally posses the pistol without the green card. In civil law, when no time is stated, a "reasonable time" is presumed. The rule is different for criminal law. In any event the time for presenting the gun for safety inspection is longer than a day at the range or a trip to a shooting meet.

MCL 28.422 requires a person to return a portion of the pistol purchase license to the police within ten days after purchase. This is when the safety inspection is performed in a purchase situation. There is no corresponding provision for a person who "comes into possession" of a pistol by loan.

Sometimes I tell people, who plan to have their spouse's pistol for an extended length of time, to present the pistol for safety inspection. There is nothing in the law that states that more than one person cannot have the pistol safety inspected. In every instance, the person reported back to me that the police refused to inspect the pistol unless there was a sale or transfer of ownership. I simply told them to make a record of their attempt. The record would be good to have if the issue ever arises. [/align]

I would be careful of MGRO's analysis of this. CPL holders are exempt as stated in the act, but others have been cited with having someone else's handgun.

MGO has a story now about a DNR range officer (Not a CO) taking someones gun (Illegally by the way) because he said it was someone else's handgun. Don't know what happened after that.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Venator wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Rob357 wrote:

Per MCRGO:

A:

I would be careful of MGRO's analysis of this. CPL holders are exempt as stated in the act, but others have been cited with having someone else's handgun.

MGO has a story now about a DNR range officer (Not a CO) taking someones gun (Illegally by the way) because he said it was someone else's handgun. Don't know what happened after that.

I hear ya. I know in the past I offered to transport for a few here who, at the time,did not have their CPL's. Believe me, I was a bit concerned as well-even though I never did transport for anyone. I knew I was legal, but....

I suspect, much like OC being legal in Michigan, that few LEO's have encountered CPL holders who borrow someone's pistol. This may very well be the reason MCRGO included the last paragraph to their answer.