Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollowpoints

Post imported post

Ok, so I've yet to see such a regulation, but I've heard that hollowpoints are not allowed in VA for CC. I have a coworker that was arested in Jersey for having high cap mags and hollowpoints, but I didn't think it was so in VA. Just rumor?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I've never heard of such.

I know lots of people who carry with hollow-points.

You can search the VA Code if you like. Just realize if there is no law against it, you could be searching for a while.

http://leg1.state.va.us/lis.htm

PS: add this site to your browser favorites. Gosh, is it ever useful. I lost count long ago of how many times I've used it to look up VA statutes.

Edited to Add: Last I heard, hollow-points were still illegal in NJ, though.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I personally think its dangerous to NOT carry hollow point (defensive) rounds.

My biggest fear is over penetration. Secondly, is running out of ammo in a bad (defensive) situation.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Hollowpoints are illegal in NJ, not in Va. They are fine here for CC/OC
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Perfectly legal. In fact, if you ask me, it's irresponsible to not carry JHPs in a personal defense firearm. Not only do you cut down on overpenetration, you also have a better chance of stopping whatever threat may be presenting itself with JHPs.

Post imported post

cmbf117 wrote:
    Perfectly legal. In fact, if you ask me, it's irresponsible to not carry JHPs in a personal defense firearm. Not only do you cut down on overpenetration, you also have a better chance of stopping whatever threat may be presenting itself with JHPs.
    Kinda makes you wonder what New Jersey is thinking... and of course, that question does make a rather bold assumption...

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    cmbf117 wrote:
    Kinda makes you wonder what New Jersey is thinking... and of course, that question does make a rather bold assumption...

TFred
    Oh, I think we all know what NJ was thinking :^).

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I think NJ does this so that the police will have to drill a perp with 30 to 40 extra holes thereby forcing a lawsuit against the police for unecessary use of deadly force. Gives the "victims" a chance to make some extra cash.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Speaking of hollowpoints,specifically in .38 ammo,+p's are readily available at reasonable prices just abouteverywhere, but if you want standard pressure hollowpoints for low recoil, they want your first born child. The over-penetration factor is a real concern with conventional ball ammo.

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    Hollowpoints are illegal in NJ, not in Va. They are fine here for CC/OC
    Well they are technically not illegal in NJ. In NJ, you can have Hollowpoints in your gun if you are at home. You can also shoot hollowpoints at the shooting range. You just can't have hollowpoints in your pistol if you are not on your property or in the shooting range. Silly huh? So you can transport the hollowpoint bullets to/from the range.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Perfectly legal here.

I prefer hardball because it gives better penetration and better feeding...BUT, as already pointed out, shooting the old lady behind the Bad Guy, is not considered good manners.

Post imported post

I know overpenetration is a concern, but it doesn't matter what you're using if you miss your target.

Practice!

btw I carry Gold Dots in all calibers because overpenetration aside, they're still more effective at stopping a bad guy.

Post imported post

Southern boy. Unless I misunderstand your post, the N.J. law enforcement officers are permitted to carry hollowpoints.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    I know overpenetration is a concern, but it doesn't matter what you're using if you miss your target.

Practice!

btw I carry Gold Dots in all calibers because overpenetration aside, they're still more effective at stopping a bad guy.
    +1 on practice

Over penetration isn't one of my big worries. When I go in crowded areas, I take my Taser or the 45lc/410 derringer loaded with buckshot...or both.

Neither is any good past 10 feet but it's hard to explain self defense beyond that distance anyway.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Perhaps this would be better asked to the fairly neglected New Jersey portion of the forum, but are rounds such as PowRBall and Glaser Safety Slugs permitted for carrying in New Jersey (provided you have the means to carry)? Neither of these are typical hollow point rounds and the one actually has shot instead of a typical lead bullet behind the polymer ball, so where do they fall?

Post imported post

jmelvin wrote:
    Perhaps this would be better asked to the fairly neglected New Jersey portion of the forum, but are rounds such as PowRBall and Glaser Safety Slugs permitted for carrying in New Jersey (provided you have the means to carry)? Neither of these are typical hollow point rounds and the one actually has shot instead of a typical lead bullet behind the polymer ball, so where do they fall?
    I used tocarry Hydra Shocks and after research, I have switched to the hard to find HST's.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

c45man wrote:
    Southern boy. Unless I misunderstand your post, the N.J. law enforcement officers are permitted to carry hollowpoints.
    I was just being a little sarcastic.. some tonque-in-cheek humor. That's all.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Here is the part of the Code of Virginia related to Restricted Ammunition:

§ 18.2-308.3. Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

A. When used in this section:

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.

(1983, c. 602; 1988, c. 530.)

Link: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.3
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Not sure if any of you have seen or heard about the DRT ammo. they use a "powder" core. Its a frangible round, so no bullet to recover from the animal you shoot.

"..any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead."

So would it be fair to say this type of round is illegal in Virginia?

Post imported post

As Thundar posted above in § 18.2-308.3, as far as I have found in researching the issue,in Virginia there is no illegal ammunition. There are onlycertain types as listed in § 18.2-308.3. that are restricted, but only when used illegally. As far as I know teflon coatedor armour piercing is completely legal unless you are comiting a crime while using it, then it becomes illegal.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

That's true because CorBon DPX (which uses a solid copper bullet with no lead) is sold at some stores I've been to in VA.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    That's true because CorBon DPX (which uses a solid copper bullet with no lead) is sold at some stores I've been to in VA.
    Curious, solid copper JHP's are pretty expensive?

Post imported post

DPX bullets are not JHP (jacketed hollow point) as there is no jacket. They are entirely copper HPs. And yes, they are kinda pricey compared to say HSTs or Ranger SXTs. For example I can order 50 rds of Federal LE Tactical 230 grain HST +P .45 now for $23.95, whereas 20 rds of Corbon DPX 185 gr .45 is $29.95 from the same source.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Yeah the cost of DPX keeps me away considering I can get 50rds of Gold Dots for 20 bucks.

Post imported post

I like the penetration performance of DPX and I do carry them in my extra mag when I carry the .45, but their price prevents them from being my primary ammo.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast