• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hollowpoints

nova

imported post

That's true because CorBon DPX (which uses a solid copper bullet with no lead) is sold at some stores I've been to in VA.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DPX bullets are not JHP (jacketed hollow point) as there is no jacket. They are entirely copper HPs. And yes, they are kinda pricey compared to say HSTs or Ranger SXTs. For example I can order 50 rds of Federal LE Tactical 230 grain HST +P .45 now for $23.95, whereas 20 rds of Corbon DPX 185 gr .45 is $29.95 from the same source.

nova

imported post

Yeah the cost of DPX keeps me away considering I can get 50rds of Gold Dots for 20 bucks.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I like the penetration performance of DPX and I do carry them in my extra mag when I carry the .45, but their price prevents them from being my primary ammo.

imported post

Xeni wrote:
I personally think its dangerous to NOT carry hollow point (defensive) rounds.

My biggest fear is over penetration.  Secondly, is running out of ammo in a bad (defensive) situation.

Since your biggest fear is overpenetration, I have a question for you.

How is the bullet that goes clear through the bad guy, more dangerous than the ones that miss?

Statistically LEO, misses about 8 out of 10 shots in a gunfight.

I know you guys are good, better than any flat foot, so say you are a lot better, and instead of an 80% miss rate, you only have a 50% miss rate.

Now since you are so good say 4 of those 5 hits are center of mass, which includes rib cage, front and back and the muscles of the chest and back, as well as the internal organs, any bullet that makes it through all that, will have little or no momentun left to hurt anyone.

Say the 4th shot hits them in their abdomin, and goes through cleanly. It will still be significantly less lethal than your other 5 shots that penetrated nothing but air.

Use JHP's they are a good idea, but worry a lot more about missing the target, than overpenetrating it.

pectoral

LdoMaj_Ammo

imported post

Got it, deep penetration. thanks for the assist...

deepdiver wrote:
DPX bullets are not JHP (jacketed hollow point) as there is no jacket. They are entirely copper HPs. And yes, they are kinda pricey compared to say HSTs or Ranger SXTs. For example I can order 50 rds of Federal LE Tactical 230 grain HST +P .45 now for $23.95, whereas 20 rds of Corbon DPX 185 gr .45 is $29.95 from the same source.

EFB16ACRX

imported post

OpenCarrie wrote:
jmelvin wrote:
Perhaps this would be better asked to the fairly neglected New Jersey portion of the forum, but are rounds such as PowRBall and Glaser Safety Slugs permitted for carrying in New Jersey (provided you have the means to carry)? Neither of these are typical hollow point rounds and the one actually has shot instead of a typical lead bullet behind the polymer ball, so where do they fall?
I used tocarry Hydra Shocks and after research, I have switched to the hard to find HST's.
yeah the only place ive ever seen the hst's is at the dulles gun show. This past show was way overpriced but the one before that i found them for 16$ a box. I bought all they had.

darthmord

imported post

Paladin_Havegun_Willtravel wrote:
Xeni wrote:
I personally think its dangerous to NOT carry hollow point (defensive) rounds.

My biggest fear is over penetration. Secondly, is running out of ammo in a bad (defensive) situation.

Since your biggest fear is overpenetration, I have a question for you.

How is the bullet that goes clear through the bad guy, more dangerous than the ones that miss?

Statistically LEO, misses about 8 out of 10 shots in a gunfight.

I know you guys are good, better than any flat foot, so say you are a lot better, and instead of an 80% miss rate, you only have a 50% miss rate.

Now since you are so good say 4 of those 5 hits are center of mass, which includes rib cage, front and back and the muscles of the chest and back, as well as the internal organs, any bullet that makes it through all that, will have little or no momentun left to hurt anyone.

Say the 4th shot hits them in their abdomin, and goes through cleanly. It will still be significantly less lethal than your other 5 shots that penetrated nothing but air.

Use JHP's they are a good idea, but worry a lot more about missing the target, than overpenetrating it.

pectoral

A friend of mine and I were talking about that after a recent gun show in Norfolk. Basically, over-penetration is bad as you may hit / injure / kill bystanders. This becomes a greater concern when looked at from a home defense perspective. A shot going through a wall can still kill someone on the other side.

Looked at from an efficiency standpoint... do you want your ammunition continuing on through the target to do damage against your house / other people? Ideally, any rounds fired would dissipate all their energy within the target. Otherwise, you have force / energy from the round NOT being used against the BG.

mourneblade

imported post

cbackous wrote:
Not sure if any of you have seen or heard about the DRT ammo. they use a "powder" core. Its a frangible round, so no bullet to recover from the animal you shoot.

"..any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead."

So would it be fair to say this type of round is illegal in Virginia?

So I guess Corbon DPX is out in Virginia then?(copper bullet) Bummer, that's a great round...

mobeewan

imported post

mourneblade wrote:
cbackous wrote:
Not sure if any of you have seen or heard about the DRT ammo. they use a "powder" core. Its a frangible round, so no bullet to recover from the animal you shoot.

"..any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead."

So would it be fair to say this type of round is illegal in Virginia?

So I guess Corbon DPX is out in Virginia then?(copper bullet) Bummer, that's a great round...

Nooooh.

§ 18.2-308.3. Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

A. When used in this section:

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt torestricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.

(1983, c. 602; 1988, c. 530.)

Section A defines restricted ammo.

Section B defines when it is restricted / illegal to use.

Unless there is any other law in Virginia restricting use and ownership of any ammo, thenall ammo, including those listed as restricted in the above statuteare legal to use and posses as long as you are not using it during the commision of a crime. If used while committing or attempting to commit a crime then it is only illegal under the above statute.

So in other words it is only illegal to use it illegaly.

AbNo

imported post

You know, I wish I could say "Isn't that how it should be?", but you know some ass-hat politician somewhere would want to make it that way just because he could. :banghead:

TFred

imported post

This whole section of code smells an awful lot like one of those charges they add on to be negotiated away during a plea-bargain.

I'm not saying that is good or bad, but just seems rather redundant. It would appear that it is not illegal to use regular old lead bullets in the commission of a crime. And I suppose that would be true, as there would be no additional charges filed for using that particular type of bullet.

TFred