• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hollowpoints

Squid13

imported post

Ok, so I've yet to see such a regulation, but I've heard that hollowpoints are not allowed in VA for CC. I have a coworker that was arested in Jersey for having high cap mags and hollowpoints, but I didn't think it was so in VA. Just rumor?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've never heard of such.

I know lots of people who carry with hollow-points.

You can search the VA Code if you like. Just realize if there is no law against it, you could be searching for a while.

http://leg1.state.va.us/lis.htm

PS: add this site to your browser favorites. Gosh, is it ever useful. I lost count long ago of how many times I've used it to look up VA statutes.

Edited to Add: Last I heard, hollow-points were still illegal in NJ, though.

Xeni

imported post

I personally think its dangerous to NOT carry hollow point (defensive) rounds.

My biggest fear is over penetration. Secondly, is running out of ammo in a bad (defensive) situation.

cmbf117

imported post

Perfectly legal. In fact, if you ask me, it's irresponsible to not carry JHPs in a personal defense firearm. Not only do you cut down on overpenetration, you also have a better chance of stopping whatever threat may be presenting itself with JHPs.

TFred

imported post

cmbf117 wrote:
Perfectly legal. In fact, if you ask me, it's irresponsible to not carry JHPs in a personal defense firearm. Not only do you cut down on overpenetration, you also have a better chance of stopping whatever threat may be presenting itself with JHPs.
Kinda makes you wonder what New Jersey is thinking... and of course, that question does make a rather bold assumption...

TFred

Neplusultra

imported post

TFred wrote:
cmbf117 wrote:
Kinda makes you wonder what New Jersey is thinking... and of course, that question does make a rather bold assumption...

TFred
Oh, I think we all know what NJ was thinking :^).

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I think NJ does this so that the police will have to drill a perp with 30 to 40 extra holes thereby forcing a lawsuit against the police for unecessary use of deadly force. Gives the "victims" a chance to make some extra cash.

tripledipper

imported post

Speaking of hollowpoints,specifically in .38 ammo,+p's are readily available at reasonable prices just abouteverywhere, but if you want standard pressure hollowpoints for low recoil, they want your first born child. The over-penetration factor is a real concern with conventional ball ammo.

eyesopened

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Hollowpoints are illegal in NJ, not in Va. They are fine here for CC/OC
Well they are technically not illegal in NJ. In NJ, you can have Hollowpoints in your gun if you are at home. You can also shoot hollowpoints at the shooting range. You just can't have hollowpoints in your pistol if you are not on your property or in the shooting range. Silly huh? So you can transport the hollowpoint bullets to/from the range. :banghead:

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Perfectly legal here.

I prefer hardball because it gives better penetration and better feeding...BUT, as already pointed out, shooting the old lady behind the Bad Guy, is not considered good manners.

nova

imported post

I know overpenetration is a concern, but it doesn't matter what you're using if you miss your target.

Practice! :)

btw I carry Gold Dots in all calibers because overpenetration aside, they're still more effective at stopping a bad guy.

c45man

imported post

Southern boy. Unless I misunderstand your post, the N.J. law enforcement officers are permitted to carry hollowpoints.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nova wrote:
I know overpenetration is a concern, but it doesn't matter what you're using if you miss your target.

Practice! :)

btw I carry Gold Dots in all calibers because overpenetration aside, they're still more effective at stopping a bad guy.
+1 on practice

Over penetration isn't one of my big worries. When I go in crowded areas, I take my Taser or the 45lc/410 derringer loaded with buckshot...or both.

Neither is any good past 10 feet but it's hard to explain self defense beyond that distance anyway.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Perhaps this would be better asked to the fairly neglected New Jersey portion of the forum, but are rounds such as PowRBall and Glaser Safety Slugs permitted for carrying in New Jersey (provided you have the means to carry)? Neither of these are typical hollow point rounds and the one actually has shot instead of a typical lead bullet behind the polymer ball, so where do they fall?

OpenCarrie

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Perhaps this would be better asked to the fairly neglected New Jersey portion of the forum, but are rounds such as PowRBall and Glaser Safety Slugs permitted for carrying in New Jersey (provided you have the means to carry)? Neither of these are typical hollow point rounds and the one actually has shot instead of a typical lead bullet behind the polymer ball, so where do they fall?
I used tocarry Hydra Shocks and after research, I have switched to the hard to find HST's.

Thundar

imported post

Here is the part of the Code of Virginia related to Restricted Ammunition:

§ 18.2-308.3. Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

A. When used in this section:

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.

(1983, c. 602; 1988, c. 530.)

Link: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.3

usaf0906

imported post

Not sure if any of you have seen or heard about the DRT ammo. they use a "powder" core. Its a frangible round, so no bullet to recover from the animal you shoot.

"..any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead."

So would it be fair to say this type of round is illegal in Virginia?

mobeewan

imported post

As Thundar posted above in § 18.2-308.3, as far as I have found in researching the issue,in Virginia there is no illegal ammunition. There are onlycertain types as listed in § 18.2-308.3. that are restricted, but only when used illegally. As far as I know teflon coatedor armour piercing is completely legal unless you are comiting a crime while using it, then it becomes illegal.