• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another OC event

Lafayette Carry

imported post

Hey Anty506,

Is there some way I can get the name of the manager and the Walmart? I would like to call and thank him (supposing that might need to be after theholiday)and then go spend money there next time I'm in the area and personally look him up and thank him.

Young man, thank you for fighting the good fight.

Hello in General,

I'm a newbie. Pursuing CCL, taking class next Sunday with my 78 yr old dad (he's ticked to death, something good to do) and plan to OC as much as I can, but I'm gonna start slow. La Carry, you should get my dues pretty soon.

Regards,

sraacke

imported post

I was born and raised in Hammond. My Dad is a retired Hammond cop. I share his name. It wouldbe interesting if I got the same treatment while OCing in the WalMart there. I'm not easily intimidated by the local PD or SO. I grew up around lots of these types and know how full of feces they can be in cases like this.

Regarding the OP, he mentioned that upon entering he walked over to 'identify' himself to the Rent-A-Cop* at the door. I feel that if I'm not doing anything illegal I have no reason to say anything to anyone of authority. I'm there to shop/spend money like everyone else. Walking up to shoot the breeze or 'check in' with the Rent-A-Cop smacks a bit of wannabe. Like the guys who listen to scanners and follow fire trucks to calls. Looking at it from another way, the cop carrys a gun and so do I. That doesn't mean that we have anything in common. They have their reasons for being armed and so do I. Until I do something illegal I have nothing to say to them and they have no reason to say anything to me.

As soon as she said that the Lt wsa enroute I'd have asked if I was free to go and do the shopping I came there for. If not I'd have asked if I was being detained. I'm not going to discuss the law with her. She should already know that Louisiana doesn't require gun permits for anything except concealing a pistol.

The OP did right by asking for legal help but arguing the case on the sidewalk while freezingmy butt off is not the way I'd spend 3 hours of my night. The cops clearly tried to intimidate the OP and made false statements. For instance,

He says "son I know the law"
He says it doesn't matter and that he knows I was carrying my firearm legally but the law doesn't matter since he is going to take me to jail for something else.
Sounds alot like what Mark was told by Gonzales PD after his illegal arrest.
Even better is when they start making stuff up on the spot. Such as...
he states that in 1994 LA put a law into affect that requires all firearms to be registered to their owner.
He knew this was BS when he said it. They want you to be intimidated by their authority and to start second guessing yourself and your rights.

He's also full of feces when he told you-

there are federal laws that say you can't walk into a bank with a firearm,

There is no such federal law. You can walk into any bank in this state and unless they have posted their front door with a No Guns sign you are good to go. I go to the Hancock Bank on Bluebonnet Ave in Baton Rouge every payday and Open Carry inside every time I go. The tellers and branch manager have all seen me and my pistol numerous times and have never been anything but friendly and professional. The manager tells me that he doesn't have a problem with my pistol as long as I'm a customer with them.

we have 5 agencies looking into the matter.

The more the merrier. That just means more agencies Mr Delgado can get to cut checks.

I hope this works out and the Nazis at HPD and TPSO learn that they can't harrass law abiding citizens.

I already have John Delgados phone number programmed in my cellphone. Maybe I should send LaCarry a contribution to his Law School fund and get his phone number for my cellphone list. :DCould come in handy.

Happy Thanksgiving.

*=the term Rent-A-Cop refers to a uniformed LEO who is working what is often called an "Extra Duty Assignment" This is not an "off duty" job. The officer/deputy is in uniform, often with a marked city owned police unit parked nearby. The LEO is ON DUTY. The business has contracted with the City/Parish to have 'X' number of LEOs provide a police presence over and above the normal patrols the city normally does. The LEO is basically making overtime in addition to their regular 40 hour schedule. It's no different than if any of us went in to work on our day off. The WalMart is just their particular 'precinct' for that shift.

I work security and the use of the term Rent-A-Cop to refer to Security Guards is a particular peeve of mine. Guards have very limited authority and are in no way cops. On the other hand, the uniformed Hammond Police Officer standing at the door near a marked Hammond Police Department car is the definition of a Rent-A-Cop.

Sorry for the rant. I had to make it clear what I meant when I used anadmittedly derogatory term.

chad pf-9

imported post

Mark,I like that part too.How about this one---------

After being outside of walmart for about 2 hours and watching the Hammond LEOs drive off and watch the TPSO LEOs look at their law book and being on the phone with different officers and the sheriff him self, I had them take me out of the car and I asked him why was I being held and he got an attitude and said I never detained you so if you are looking for a lawsuit, you won't get one.

If they "new the law son",like one officer supposidly said,why did they have to pull out the law book,& call the sheriff himself?

imported post

Are any of ya'll old enough to remember the TV show "Hee Haw?" Grandpa Jones said, every week, "truth is stranger than fiction." LOL, a group of cops who profess to know the law, studying and searching their law books? Too funny.
While I was shackled to the wall, it was ME who requested the cop to look up LRS 14:95. PLEASE !!! READ THE LAW, YOURSELF.
Cops, gotta love 'em.

chad pf-9

imported post

ANTY 506,I just sent your story to a friend of mine that works at the Lobservater newspaper in laplace.We have a lot of residents from here that go up to hammond,& they always have advertisements for North Oaks in the paper.In fact,they just ran a story about a Internet sting that the SJBSO,& TPSO worked together on.

Hopefully they will run somthing about it.if they do,I'll let you know.

Just trying to help you get the story out as much as possible.

Anty506

imported post

Thanks guys! I hope they do post the story in the news papers!

I'm going go to be calling John D on Monday when he returns to his office.

I belive LA Carry is going to be sending something to the Hammond Daily Star as well.

Anty506

imported post

I'm going to be in your city today mark! Doing some black Friday shopping. Yes I will still be OCing. Not much more I can do. If you are out and about today and would like to catch some lunch, give me a call. I am going to PM you my number.

leVieux

imported post

We all owe a debt of gratitude to Mark Marchiafava for his guts and leadership on the open carry in Louisiana issue.

We lost our rights by not practicing them and not insisting that they be recognized.

Thank you, Mark !

leVieux

Chocolate City, Louisiana