• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New site for finding local sales

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So I've been busy for a while working on a new site for people like me that want to buy stuff locally, but don't have a good resource to find local items.

There are classifieds plastered all over the web but I don't have time to search all the forums out there.

So, I put together http://ftffinder.com. It's just about ready for prime time, so if anyone here has something for sale, you can be my guinea pigs.
smile.gif

Please let me know if part of the site is confusing or isn't intuitive. I still need to make a listing of states that allow FTF transfers, and then only those states will show up when you add an item to one of the firearms categories.

Feel free to make some test posts if you don't have anything for sale now as well. I'd like to get some feedback on the overall usability of the site.

Clicky clicky.

Thanks!

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Any thoughts? Critiques?

The site has had over 1400 page views since the 25th, and with the holiday and everyone's schedules that is impressive.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Carnivore

imported post

1401, I just looked if you get big enough, nation wide might impressive, I'm always gigging through pawn shops gun racks, but FTF all the way to Va. won't work for me..Good Luck and I hope you site promotes law abiding citizens transactions instead of throw down street guns dealings..

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

For what it appears that you are trying to do, I think that you likely need to set it up by state as shipping of firearms often requires FFLs. Friend to Friend sales need to be able to take place in person...
JMO

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The site is supposed to be a way to get in contact with people in your area that have things for sale. The site will not handle transactions at all. It is just going to be a place to find local items. Think of it as Craigslist for firearms. I'm working on a feature that will map all the items in your area, so it will be easier to see where things are (at least zip code locations) in your area once items are posted.

I do have the option in the list for shipping items,but it will be up to the individualsto make surethe transaction follows all applicable state laws. I'm going to have a section on the site that will spell out all the rules and regulations regarding firearms sales in each state, but it may take me a while to gather the info.

I'm going to get a list of states that allow FTF sales for firearms and if you choose to list an item in one of those states you will only get those states as options for the location. That will make it more clear that firearms must be shipped via FFL if your state doesn't allow FTF transactions.

Thanks for the feedback!

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Regarding criminal use of the site, I don't see that as a real issue, as FTF transfers happen via other media, and as always, it is up to the seller to make the final decision in whether or not to sell to another individual. I will add a FAQ and some suggestions regarding seller protections.

I'm just trying to make it easier to list and find items locally.

In any case, if a criminal does get his hands on a firearm by using the site and is caught doing something bad, it will be traced back to the original buyer (via the 4473) and the investigation will continue down the line until it gets to the final seller. I don't see how it matters if the buyer found out about the sale in the newspaper or via a web site.

Thanks for the feedback!

Carnivore

imported post

Lemme know when the first LH holster for a S&W model 29 8 3/8" barrel .44 mag. if it mattersbecomes available.. I'll be checking back to hopefully absorb good deals at yard sale prices.:celebrate