• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time Gun Buyer

Shogun

imported post

Wow, this is a great forum. I just found it tonight.

I plan to purchase a handgun soon (my wife and I might exchange them as Christmas presents this year). Can you all tell me (or refer me sources) about things that I will need to have in place (permits etc.) if anything. Do I need a permit to own a handgun? Do I have to have a background check performed before I can purchase a handgun? If so is it done while I wait or does it take a while? I will most likely get a concealed carry permit but now that I am finding out about open carry I might hold off on that for a while.

I live in the Huntersville/Mooresville, NC area. If you can suggest a good gun shop and/or firing range I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks for your help.

RayBurton72

imported post

There is no registration of firearms in most of North Carolina, (IIRC, Durham does has a registration requirement), but, to purchase a handgun from an FFl (a licensed gun dealer/store) in North Carolina you will need a pistol purchase permit issued by your sheriff's office.

For you that would be either Mecklenberg or Iredell county (not sure exactly where you are). The permits cost $5 each and often require a five (business) day wait from application (when you turn in the paperwork) to when you pick them up (if they are approved).

The permit applicationscan be found here (Mecklenberg) and here(Iredell)

The exact requirements of each sheriff is different, though they will all run a background check on you (some sheriff's have been known to require references and one sheriff (in eastern NC) requires that those references be law enforcement officers. Neither Mecklenberg nor Iredell seems to have those requirements for the purchase permits.

Since I am in Greensboro, I cannot help you ont he local gunshop, but I am sure others will be glad to chime in...

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

everything that ray said above is correct, except for the waiting period. you will NOT be approved within as little as 5 days of applying. it will more than likely take about 14 - 21 days for the Sheriff's Dept. to approve you.

to get a good idea of prices, brands, and models that are out there, www.impactguns.com is the best website that i have personally found.

have a nice day!

TFED12

imported post

Granville. And my wife got hers in 4 days. Each county will be different. To say that you "WILL NOT" be approved in as little as 5 days is just nottrue.Sure, some counties will take up to a couple of weeks. It just depends on the county and folks that will beprocessing your paperwork.

Shogun

imported post

Thanks for the help! Because of the link I was able to send in my application for a permit to buy a handgun. I am in Mecklinburg county, we will see how long it takes.

RayBurton72

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
RayBurton72 wrote:
to purchase a handgun from an FFl (a licensed gun dealer/store) in North Carolina you will need a pistol purchase permit issued by your sheriff's office.
The permit is required to receive a handgun via any means in NC: FFL sale, private sale, gift, and/or inheritance.
Yeah, I don't know why I goofed on that one... I know better...

JohnHoliday

imported post

If you are planning on getting your Concealed Permit, then go ahead and that get. If you have one you longer need a pistol permit to buy a pistol.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

I was approved in 30 minutes for my purchase permit in Meck County. I walked in yesterday, told them I wanted two, and they asked if I wanted to wait or come back later. 30 minutes later I was headed out the door with permits in hand.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
I was approved in 30 minutes for my purchase permit in Meck County. I walked in yesterday, told them I wanted two, and they asked if I wanted to wait or come back later. 30 minutes later I was headed out the door with permits in hand.

you are lying, Pinnochio,

unless you just happen to be employed by the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Department.

Gilly

imported post

In Lenoir county the wife and I were told to come back the same day next week. They were ready when I came back. No issues.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
JDriver1.8t wrote:

you are lying, Pinnochio,

unless you just happen to be employed by the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Department.
Not lying. Walked in and said I wanted to get some purchase permits. After filling out the application and giving money, they asked if I wanted to wait or come back later. I was visiting my parents for turkey day, and they were in diss-belief as well. They had to wait a week for theirs, a month ago.

Don't know why or how, but I didn't complain. They were doing this for everyone in the packed waiting area. They were running the background checks while you waited. I even got to see one person denied a permit.

I have already used both of them or I would take a picture if that would help you believe me. Also, I don't really appreciate being told I lied, forum or not.

This was at 715 4th street, suite 200 btw, the only place you get permits i Meck county as far as I know.

Custodian

imported post

Oh my! You bought a gun in Charlotte? There is a sign inside of a public library that says simply owning/possessing a weapon in Charlotte significantly increases your chance of violence! The sign also says you need to call the police and keep your cell phone with you at all times so you can. It also says to get rid of your firearm because people who own them are prone to violence.

Who wrote that crap?