Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spreadsheet to track TEXAS legislators - report your legislators' positions here!

Post imported post

I am putting together a spreadsheet to track which legislators will or will not support, sponsor, or introduce a bill for open carry. I need each of you to contact your State Representative and State Senator to help me complete this task. Please include name, district #, and party affiliation and whether they will or will notsupport, sponsor and/or introduce such a bill. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis Patterson

dpatterson2095@hotmail.com
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

Dennis, did you get the info I emailed you a couple of days ago?

Post imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
    Dennis, did you get the info I emailed you a couple of days ago?
    Yep, got it. Thanks
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

Dennis,

My Texas State Senator is Chris Harris, Repulican, District 9.
    My Texas State Representative is Linda Harper-Brown, Republican, District 105.
    I emailed both of them the Sunday before the election and other than the canned response reply I have heard nothing from them. I do not believe that either one of them can be depended on in this matter.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Ok, got the emails out to my state reps, I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from them.

Post imported post

My state rep is Bryan Hughes dist 5... has sent me a couple of responses that have been positive.

State sen... Kevin Eltife: District 1... received a note from an aide that was somewhat positive.

Both hinged their support on the support from TSRA and the NRA.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Senator Juan 'Chuy' Hinojosa - Senate District 20 - (Dem)
    http://www.senatorhinojosa.com/

Representative Abel Herrero - House District 34 - (Dem)
    http://www.abelherrero.com/

I sent both of them (and Gov Perry) snail mail letters the first week of Nov. Only response received was from Gov Perry's office. The other two are still no shows. I'll try email now.

Post imported post

Rep. John Otto Republican Dist. 18. He will support it, Met FTF.

Post imported post

CrossFire wrote:
    Dennis,

My Texas State Senator is Chris Harris, Repulican, District 9.
    My Texas State Representative is Linda Harper-Brown, Republican, District 105.
    I emailed both of them the Sunday before the election and other than the canned response reply I have heard nothing from them. I do not believe that either one of them can be depended on in this matter.
    Make contact with them. Have a FTF with them and see if they will make a commitment on either side. We need to know, not a guess.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

We have a short time and it's getting shorter. Now is the time to have a face to face with these people, before the session begins. Make some time to visit with these people now. Let's get going. Session starts Jan. 13. Bills are already being filed. Now is the time to move, not later.
    Will Rogers

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Is this organization/its leadershipworking with TSRA (Alice Tripp) and/or the NRA on this initiative?

Post imported post

mojo1931 wrote:
    Is this organization/its leadershipworking with TSRA (Alice Tripp) and/or the NRA on this initiative?
    TSRA or NRA will not touch it.
    Will Rogers

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

All the information you are tracking or would need is already available in the hands of the statewide rifle group and/or the NRA.

Post imported post

mojo1931 wrote:
    All the information you are tracking or would need is already available in the hands of the statewide rifle group and/or the NRA.
    Great, but they will not help, it appears. I have written TSRA with a response of ...well, to paraphrase; you are on your own. I have had no response from NRA. They will probably jump on board and try to hijack the plan to take creditif it looks like it will pass. The same way they did with Heller.
    Will Rogers

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Hey guys and gals, I have been watching the forums for about a month or so, just registered as a member today and sent in a contribution for the "Lone Star Thunder" campaign.

TX State Senate District 7--Senator Dan Patrick (R)
    TX State House District 130--Representative Corbin Van Arsdale (R)

I emailed the form letter to my TX State Senator and Representative some time ago and recieved a letter from Senator Dan Patrick today. It read as follows.

"Dear Mr. Mark B----,

Thank you for your email regarding legislation to create an "open-carry" law to the State of Texas, so that handgun owners would no longer have to conceal their weapons. As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe legislation to allow handguns to be carried in full view is worthy of consideration.

I appreciate your imput on this issue, and assure you I will continue to study the advantages and implications of an open carry law. Please feel free to contact our office with any additional comments.

It is an honor to serve you in the Texas Senate.

May God bless,"

(signed by Dan Patrick)

Post imported post

Here is the letter I got from Rep Menendez (D- San Antonio). Please someone in the area (I am deployed) reengage him - I think (although concessions would have to be made) he is a good start for the OC movement. It has the info you need (rep local, etc)

Post imported post

Post imported post

Post imported post

Post imported post

Got this in today!:celebrate (still waiting on a response from Sen. Ogden)

Dear Mr. Heinz:

Thank you for relaying to me your concerns with open carry rights in Texas. This open carry bill that you speak of has been filed by a Senator and I do plan to support it. As an elected official and a member of the NRA, I always try to do what I deem necessary for the safety of my constituents and my state. I feel strongly that responsible Texans should be allowed to purchase firearms for personal safety and recreation. In addition, I do support the provisions which protect citizens by investigating the eligibility and fitness of individuals applying for a gun license. I feel that it is possible to protect our citizens from the dangers of guns without eliminating their rights to own them. Please be assured that I will seriously consider your views as this comes before me on the House Floor during the 81st Session.

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns and ideas. Please contact my office anytime you have comments or questions on pending legislation or any state matter.

Sincerely,
    Fred Brown
    State Representative

Post imported post

Post imported post

I think that it is still being drafted.... They didn't like all of the wording in ours...
    What we don't know yet is A) Who is sponsoring it and B) if it is licensed or unlicensed... My guess is licensed, but hoping for unlicensed. If licensed then maybe we can push for 'shall issue' licenses...?

Post imported post

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

But it is a start. Before Dr Hupp there was no carry at all. One step at a time. Push for our God given right, but accept what they give, then push for it some more.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

My representative and senator for District 22 and District 26 (part) have replied and I submit their responses herein:

Dear Dr. ___________:

Thank you for contacting my office. I always appreciate hearing from my constituents.
    I fully support Texans' right to carry and defend themselves. For that reason I am proud to say that during all three sessions that I have been a member of the legislature I have carried legislation to increase Texans' right to carry and protect themselves. During the upcoming legislative session, which begins in January of 2009, please be assured that I will work closely with the National Rifle Association and the Texas State Rifle Association to continue increasing individual rights for Texans to carry and defend themselves.
    Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to do so again in the future.

Sincerely,

Glenn Hegar

Thank you for contacting the office of State Representative Charlie Howard, your representative for House District 26, Fort Bend County (part).

Due to the vast number of correspondences my office receives I am unable to provide a written response. Please know that your letter is read and the views of my constituents are recorded.

However, should you have an issue that requires immediate attention, please call my District Office at 281.565.9500 or my Capitol Office at 512.463.0710. You may also write to me at P. O. Box 2910, Austin, Texas 78768-2910.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your interests in your state government and for keeping me apprised of your legislative concerns. I appreciate and encourage your continued input.

It is truly an honor to serve House District 26 in the Texas House of Representatives.

May God bless you and our great state of Texas,

Charlie Howard
    State Representative
    District 26

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast