• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spreadsheet to track TEXAS legislators - report your legislators' positions here!

rodbender

imported post

I am putting together a spreadsheet to track which legislators will or will not support, sponsor, or introduce a bill for open carry. I need each of you to contact your State Representative and State Senator to help me complete this task. Please include name, district #, and party affiliation and whether they will or will notsupport, sponsor and/or introduce such a bill. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis Patterson

dpatterson2095@hotmail.com

CrossFire

imported post

Dennis,

My Texas State Senator is Chris Harris, Repulican, District 9.
My Texas State Representative is Linda Harper-Brown, Republican, District 105.
I emailed both of them the Sunday before the election and other than the canned response reply I have heard nothing from them. I do not believe that either one of them can be depended on in this matter.

ELK-Tex

imported post

My state rep is Bryan Hughes dist 5... has sent me a couple of responses that have been positive.

State sen... Kevin Eltife: District 1... received a note from an aide that was somewhat positive.

Both hinged their support on the support from TSRA and the NRA.

rodbender

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Dennis,

My Texas State Senator is Chris Harris, Repulican, District 9.
My Texas State Representative is Linda Harper-Brown, Republican, District 105.
I emailed both of them the Sunday before the election and other than the canned response reply I have heard nothing from them. I do not believe that either one of them can be depended on in this matter.
Make contact with them. Have a FTF with them and see if they will make a commitment on either side. We need to know, not a guess.

rodbender

imported post

We have a short time and it's getting shorter. Now is the time to have a face to face with these people, before the session begins. Make some time to visit with these people now. Let's get going. Session starts Jan. 13. Bills are already being filed. Now is the time to move, not later.

mojo1931

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Is this organization/its leadershipworking with TSRA (Alice Tripp) and/or the NRA on this initiative?

mojo1931

Opt-Out Members
imported post

All the information you are tracking or would need is already available in the hands of the statewide rifle group and/or the NRA.

rodbender

imported post

mojo1931 wrote:
All the information you are tracking or would need is already available in the hands of the statewide rifle group and/or the NRA.
Great, but they will not help, it appears. I have written TSRA with a response of ...well, to paraphrase; you are on your own. I have had no response from NRA. They will probably jump on board and try to hijack the plan to take creditif it looks like it will pass. The same way they did with Heller.

xd45_in_TX

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hey guys and gals, I have been watching the forums for about a month or so, just registered as a member today and sent in a contribution for the "Lone Star Thunder" campaign.

TX State Senate District 7--Senator Dan Patrick (R)
TX State House District 130--Representative Corbin Van Arsdale (R)

I emailed the form letter to my TX State Senator and Representative some time ago and recieved a letter from Senator Dan Patrick today. It read as follows.

"Dear Mr. Mark B----,

Thank you for your email regarding legislation to create an "open-carry" law to the State of Texas, so that handgun owners would no longer have to conceal their weapons. As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe legislation to allow handguns to be carried in full view is worthy of consideration.

I appreciate your imput on this issue, and assure you I will continue to study the advantages and implications of an open carry law. Please feel free to contact our office with any additional comments.

It is an honor to serve you in the Texas Senate.

May God bless,"

(signed by Dan Patrick)

AFCop

imported post

Here is the letter I got from Rep Menendez (D- San Antonio). Please someone in the area (I am deployed) reengage him - I think (although concessions would have to be made) he is a good start for the OC movement. It has the info you need (rep local, etc)

Jose_Menendez.jpg

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Got this in today!:celebrate (still waiting on a response from Sen. Ogden)

Dear Mr. Heinz:

Thank you for relaying to me your concerns with open carry rights in Texas. This open carry bill that you speak of has been filed by a Senator and I do plan to support it. As an elected official and a member of the NRA, I always try to do what I deem necessary for the safety of my constituents and my state. I feel strongly that responsible Texans should be allowed to purchase firearms for personal safety and recreation. In addition, I do support the provisions which protect citizens by investigating the eligibility and fitness of individuals applying for a gun license. I feel that it is possible to protect our citizens from the dangers of guns without eliminating their rights to own them. Please be assured that I will seriously consider your views as this comes before me on the House Floor during the 81st Session.

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns and ideas. Please contact my office anytime you have comments or questions on pending legislation or any state matter.

Sincerely,
Fred Brown
State Representative