• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spreadsheet to track TEXAS legislators - report your legislators' positions here!

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I think that it is still being drafted.... They didn't like all of the wording in ours...
What we don't know yet is A) Who is sponsoring it and B) if it is licensed or unlicensed... My guess is licensed, but hoping for unlicensed. If licensed then maybe we can push for 'shall issue' licenses...?

GumiBear

Founder's Club Member
imported post

But it is a start. Before Dr Hupp there was no carry at all. One step at a time. Push for our God given right, but accept what they give, then push for it some more.

tashkerra

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My representative and senator for District 22 and District 26 (part) have replied and I submit their responses herein:

Dear Dr. ___________:

Thank you for contacting my office. I always appreciate hearing from my constituents.
I fully support Texans' right to carry and defend themselves. For that reason I am proud to say that during all three sessions that I have been a member of the legislature I have carried legislation to increase Texans' right to carry and protect themselves. During the upcoming legislative session, which begins in January of 2009, please be assured that I will work closely with the National Rifle Association and the Texas State Rifle Association to continue increasing individual rights for Texans to carry and defend themselves.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to do so again in the future.

Sincerely,

Glenn Hegar

Thank you for contacting the office of State Representative Charlie Howard, your representative for House District 26, Fort Bend County (part).

Due to the vast number of correspondences my office receives I am unable to provide a written response. Please know that your letter is read and the views of my constituents are recorded.

However, should you have an issue that requires immediate attention, please call my District Office at 281.565.9500 or my Capitol Office at 512.463.0710. You may also write to me at P. O. Box 2910, Austin, Texas 78768-2910.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your interests in your state government and for keeping me apprised of your legislative concerns. I appreciate and encourage your continued input.

It is truly an honor to serve House District 26 in the Texas House of Representatives.

May God bless you and our great state of Texas,

Charlie Howard
State Representative
District 26

Blinn79

imported post

Here is a one letter I received after writing numerous politicians:

Thank you for contacting me about federal firearms laws. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

It is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must respect the rights of law-abiding citizens and focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. I believe that strictly enforcing the law and meting out longer sentences for career criminals and those who use firearms when committing crimes will reduce crime much more effectively than gun or equipment bans.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to uphold our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My reps are:

Senate: John Carona, District 16

Rep: Will Harnett, District 114

I have contacted both and will update with their responses when I get them.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I'm getting a bit miffed here. My Sen. Hinojosa and Rep Abel Herrero have still not replied to ANY emails or letters :banghead:

Any words of advice? I've considered calling but time zones are kinda wonky.

rodbender

imported post

Shorts wrote:
I'm getting a bit miffed here. My Sen. Hinojosa and Rep Abel Herrero have still not replied to ANY emails or letters :banghead:

I have marked them both as "no Reply". If you can get the time zones straight, call them.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Shorts wrote:

Call them - leave messages this weekend, follow up at about 10 am Monday after they have had theor coffee.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Dec. 7, 2008 - 8:15pm TX local time

RE: Sen. Hinojosa - I left messages for him with my contact info. I do hope to hear from him soon.

Dec. 7, 2008 - 8:20pm TX local Time

RE: Rep. Herrero - I called his Austin office intending to leave a message but was caught off-guard when his assistant, Jacquelin (sp?) answered :shock: :lol: But I did talk with her for a few minutes, left my message and my info along with the link to the TX OC bill. I appreciate her time and her attention taking my call. I know it was late out there and on a Saturday night too. Kudos for being approachable. Thank you.

mrrga25

Founder's Club Member
imported post

richlub wrote:
I haven't been able to find any such bill on the legislature website... Either the senator he speaks of stated that he was going to file it and hasn't yet, or there is a delay in bills showing up http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Reports/Report.aspx?LegSess=81R&ID=senatefiled

Scott
I did a complete search through the bills also today and found nothing. I set up alerts for keywords if anything is submitted. It was interesting to know that they are making laws on the carry of stunguns.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

mrrga25 wrote:
richlub wrote:
I haven't been able to find any such bill on the legislature website... Either the senator he speaks of stated that he was going to file it and hasn't yet, or there is a delay in bills showing up http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Reports/Report.aspx?LegSess=81R&ID=senatefiled

Scott
I did a complete search through the bills also today and found nothing. I set up alerts for keywords if anything is submitted. It was interesting to know that they are making laws on the carry of stunguns.
Could you please link the stun gun laws? I have been recommending stungun/taser carry as a very viable alternative to handgun carry and if they are going to start regulating that then I think we should be on top of it! Quite frankly, We ought to be loudly opposed to any regulation of stungun/taser carry as that could easily be used against firearms carry!!!!

tashkerra

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Got a follow-up email from Rep. Charlie Howard's office:
Dear Dr. -------------,

Thank you for contacting Representative Howard regarding "open carry" in the state Texas . I will share your comments with him when such a proposal makes its way through the legislative process and to the House Chambers for debate.

Again, thank you for contacting Rep. Howard. Your comments are very important and allow him to represent you better in your state government. If there is anything our office can ever be of assistance to you with, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Best regards,

Deidra D. Voigt
Administrative Assistant
Office of Rep. Charlie Howard
House District 26, Sugar Land
Texas State Capitol, Room 4S.4
512.5463.0711 fax
deidra.voigt@house.state.tx.us

Harleyman007

imported post

I recieved a reply from Able Herrero District 34. The following was his response

Dear Mr. E

I stand strong behind an individuals constitutional right to bear arms. In my time in the Legislature, Texas has allowed the carrying of concealed weapons as long as we are licensed. As I am sure you are aware, I have supported this constitutionally protected right. As such, I have worked with the NRA and Texas State Rifle Association on issues that are presented to the legislature.

The open carry issue is not an item on the NRA's upcoming proposals for the upcoming legislative session. If properly presented with safety concerns addressed, I would not be opposed to the issue, however, it is currently not something the legislature is expected to consider this next session.

I appreciate your interest in our state politics and I hope you will continue to share issues that are important to you.

Sincerely,
Abel Herrero
Texas state Representative, District 34

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Harleyman007 wrote:
I recieved a reply from Able, I will post a copy of the letter he sent me. He is in favor and ranked an A by the NRA.
Tell him thanks you but ask him to sponsr a bill and if he is not sponsiring a bill, to tell us who is!!

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Harleyman007 wrote:
I recieved a reply from Able Herrero District 34. The following was his response

Dear Mr. E

I stand strong behind an individuals constitutional right to bear arms. In my time in the Legislature, Texas has allowed the carrying of concealed weapons as long as we are licensed. As I am sure you are aware, I have supported this constitutionally protected right. As such, I have worked with the NRA and Texas State Rifle Association on issues that are presented to the legislature.

The open carry issue is not an item on the NRA's upcoming proposals for the upcoming legislative session. If properly presented with safety concerns addressed, I would not be opposed to the issue, however, it is currently not something the legislature is expected to consider this next session.

I appreciate your interest in our state politics and I hope you will continue to share issues that are important to you.

Sincerely,
Abel Herrero
Texas state Representative, District 34

Glad you have heard from him. I've been waiting on a return contact from Rep. Herrero.