• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Doctor, "no weapons" and a PO'd wife...

RayBurton72

imported post

Well, it finally happened and boy, is my wife pissed.

I have been reading for months on this and various other firearms/2[suP]nd[/suP] Asmendment web sites about refusing to do business with companies that wish to disarm law-abiding citizens who have jumped through the hoops of getting a concealed carry permit.

Today, I was to meet with a new doctor for my first appointment with him and lo and behold what was on the entrance to his building but a sign saying “No weapons, concealed or otherwise.”

So I left, called the office and told them I was cancelling my appointment and why. (“I do not do business with those who feel the need to disarm law-abiding citizens who have gone through the legal steps to obtain concealed carry permits”).

Now I am trying to explain to my wife, who thinks I am being ridiculous (the doctor doesn’t own the building he’s in,” she said).

I tried to explain that I didn’t feel like beginning a patient/doctor relationship with someone that I didn’t want to go visit because I would either have to leave my EDC at home, or leave is locked in the car in a no-so great area. That didn’t work so well either.

Anybody with any ideas on how to quell the wrathful wife?

TFED12

imported post

All the more reason to carry in a Doc's Office.

Man arrested after doctor's office robbery
Wednesday, September 24
(updated 8:42 am)
Staff Reports

Related Stories

ELON — A 33-year-old Burlington man was arrested after an attempt to rob a doctor's office Monday afternoon.

Elon police said a man tried to rob the Alamance Family Practice at 812 W. Haggard Ave. at 3:30 p.m. Monday. The suspect left in a white Pontiac Grand Am driven by a second man.

Police said they got good descriptions of the suspect from the doctor's office receptionist as well as a witness in the parking lot and quickly arrested a suspect.

Richard Umstead Slade Jr., 33, of 1114 Simmons Court in Burlington, was arrested and charged with common law robbery. He is being held in the Alamance County jail on a $100,000 bond.

Police said they have issued warrants for a second suspect. Police did not name that person.

News-Record.com

Shogun

imported post

Try buying her a shiny little derringer and a titty holdster...She will want to carry everywhere she goes!

So is the law in NC written so that it becomes illegal to carry (even with a concealed carry permit) into any building (even privately owned buildings) if the owner places a sign at the entrance?

ScubaSteve

imported post

Explain to your wife that while the doctor may or may not have an opinion on CHP in the building, HIS landlord certianly does. If enough people complain to the doctors, you betcha they will have a talk with the landlord about the policy.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Shogun wrote:
So is the law in NC written so that it becomes illegal to carry (even with a concealed carry permit) into any building (even privately owned buildings) if the owner places a sign at the entrance?

Unfortunately, yes. On the other hand, carrying openly is NOT illegal on property where a sign is posted :D.

As far as the sign at the doctor's office, I'd be willing to bet it's there for insurance reasons. Does that justify it? No, but that means that there may not be any "anti-gun" sentiment. Rather, they may just not know any better, or they may just not care. Money is money, after all.

To deal with the wife, others have already made some good suggestions. I don't think I can offer anything better.

RayBurton72

imported post

The doctor has only one of many offices in the building, but does not control it. So, yes, I hope they will make noise, but I doubt it will be effective as it is a medical building and probably owned by the nearby hospital...

Shogun,

Under NC law, it is a misdemeanor for anyone holding a concealed handgun permit to carry concealed past a no weapons sign.... Ironically, there is no law saying it is illegal to carry a weapon openly past a no weapons sign.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Shogun wrote:
DreQo, I do not understand your answer. Will explain?

Yeah sorry I wasn't perfectly clear lol. It is illegal to carry CONCEALED where a sign is posted. It is NOT illegal to carry OPENLY where a sign is posted.

This is because the law first says it is illegal to carry a concealed handgun. It then makes an exception for someone who holds a concealed carry permit, as long as they stay within the scope of the permit. Then finally it says that the permit allows you to carry a concealed weapon anywhere, except in certain areas. One of those many, many areas is a place where a sign is posted.

Make sense? :celebrate

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Suggested reply: Honey (or insert whatever) the reason I go to the doctor is to ensure that I am healthy enough to be a good husband to you and the family for many years to come. If I go to a doctors office, which requires me to disarm and I am robbed, mugged or killed during my trip because I didn't take a precaution similar to going to see the doctor to protect my health, what have a gained? I am no longer healthy, if alive, and the visit to the doctor was pointless. Just because I am going to a doctors office doesn't mean I don't wear my seatbelt in the car. Why should I then be as careless regarding potential crime against me if I'm off to see the doctor. If the doctors office asked that I not wear my seatbelt in the car just because I'm off to see him/her would you recommend that I take that instruction too?

partemisio

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Suggested reply: Honey (or insert whatever) the reason I go to the doctor is to ensure that I am healthy enough to be a good husband to you and the family for many years to come. If I go to a doctors office, which requires me to disarm and I am robbed, mugged or killed during my trip because I didn't take a precaution similar to going to see the doctor to protect my health, what have a gained? I am no longer healthy, if alive, and the visit to the doctor was pointless. Just because I am going to a doctors office doesn't mean I don't wear my seatbelt in the car. Why should I then be as careless regarding potential crime against me if I'm off to see the doctor. If the doctors office asked that I not wear my seatbelt in the car just because I'm off to see him/her would you recommend that I take that instruction too?
You have been through this before, haven't you?:lol:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Not with my significant other. My girlfriend and I both carry (me more regularly) and there is no way in hell I'd be saddled down with someone who doesn't align with my major convictions and beliefs, of which this is one. I don't much like beingaround anti-gunners, let alone date or marry one. :)

The sad thing is I have heard this kind of story before and a similar logical reply is generally suggested. Fortunately those in my extended family who don't much like my carrying know I don't care what they think and aren't around enough to be a nuisance. :D

BMW Racer

imported post

I was visiting our pediatrician's office for a camp checkupwith my 9 year-old son and they asked me to fill out a form. One question asked if we have any guns in our house.

I did not put any answer and the nurse asked me why I didn't answer that question. I told her that is not theirbusiness if I am a gun owner or not. It was obvious that she had never heard this before (we live in a fairly liberal area of town) and I also asked why they have that question on the form. She said that they are concerned about the health of their patients. "It sounds more like a political statement to me." I said.

She walked off in a huff and I chuckled.