• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dishonest LEO strikes again!

Dan F.

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Thanks for laying out this rationale. You make our position nearly impossible to refute. :)

That's basically what I was getting at in a more roundabout fashion: as a Law Enforcement Officer his job is to enforce the law; he cannot apply the law until he knows what the law is, and as a corollary to this, if he doesn't know the law, he has nothing to enforce and thus by his job description has nothing to contribute. Thus, by opining on laws he does not know verbatim, he is overstepping his authority while implicitly making an appeal to it, and ultimately lying.
Very well put.

warrior1978

imported post

What kind of LEO were you?

conservative1985 wrote:
marshaul wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
I think you are jumping to conclusions here when you state dishonest LEO. Dishonest implies an attempt to obtain something from illegal methods. I think he was probably honest. And I think he was probably honestly ignorant and had an arrogance problem associated with his ignorance.

And yes, good job attempting to educate the victim's of his ignorance.
Ignorance of the law is no excuse for a citizen. Why should it be for a man whose vocation is defined by knowledge of the law? The LEO in question is lucky to be referred to as "dishonest" by the OP. I will refer to any LEO who makes a misstatement of fact regarding the law as a "liar", regardless of intent.

I can only assume that LEOs follow the Golden Rule, as I do. What stumps me is why they want to be treated in such a manner. :question:
First I hate the phrase Ignorance of the law is no excuse! Is the common citizen really expected to know every law the legislature passes? I said it meaning the girl behind the register more than the officer, and what I said was it in so irresponsible if she had doubt she should have gone and researched it thats all. I get your point... I don't know his intent, it could have been an honest mistake on his part. I never said all cops where liars. But if there is a bad apple in your organization it is up to you to route it out, cops should give up this brother hood bull crap this is not a union of shop workers this is an institute of public servants given the honor and responsibility to guard us. any hoo just my opinion :)

LaVere

imported post

MrsRuger45 wrote:
It sounds to me like we need to organize a winter time event here........lunch at the Valley Restaurant at Linden & Miller Rds & then for those interested, we could caravan a couple of miles south & purchase some alcohol! Anyone game??

I'm Game

Graydon

Activist Member
imported post

conservative1985 wrote:
At approx. 1810 hrs. on 11/26while purchasing an alcoholic beverage at a BP on the corner of Linden& Grand Blanc rd. the cashier motioned me away from
I know that BP. I carried there early this fall buying a pop and I am pretty sure I was open carrying at the time. I was in there for a few minutes because my wife used the restroom and theirsoda fountainmachine screwed up. Then the cashier screwed up and ended up giving us one sodapop for free.

Now that winter is here, I mostly CC since I almost always have a sweater on to stay warm. But in the spring when the weather is warm again, I'll be OCing again. I'll make a point to stop in there. :)

Michigander

imported post

MrsRuger45 wrote:
It sounds to me like we need to organize a winter time event here........lunch at the Valley Restaurant at Linden & Miller Rds & then for those interested, we could caravan a couple of miles south & purchase some alcohol! Anyone game??
I'm in.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Bad Hat fields and McCoys story No proof of LEO involvement ! Waste of Time Lets try to Educate Masses one or two Citizens at a time with all this energy .
Not only that, it happened at BP and not Valley Restaurant. I think Valley would be an excellent place to have an OC meet & greet. We had a good turnout at the Flint McDonald's with no issues whatsoever and it's just down the street from Valley on Miller Road. No, it's never a waste of time...or energy. :)

taxwhat

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
Bad Hat fields and McCoys story No proof of LEO involvement ! Waste of Time Lets try to Educate Masses one or two Citizens at a time with all this energy .
Not only that, it happened at BP and not Valley Restaurant. I think Valley would be an excellent place to have an OC meet & greet. We had a good turnout at the Flint McDonald's with no issues whatsoever and it's just down the street from Valley on Miller Road. No, it's never a waste of time...or energy. :)
A planed event with purpose great ,education makes it fantastic !

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Could be that the possibly non-existant LEO did not approach you because he was not entirely sure about the "law", and did not want the repercussions of trying to enforce a non-existant law, then approached the cashier and said something along the lines of " I'm not certain, but I think.....". Not that he had any right to do such a thing, but there are LEO's out there who are playing with less than a full deck. If a short decked LEO approached a short decked cashier, all kinds of fun stories could come about. Remember that exercise in elementary school where the whole class sits in a ring, and a sentence is given to one child, and by the time it goes around the ring, it's completely different? It only takes one to screw it up for the rest. Hopefully your attempt at education sinks in.

Carry on.

taxwhat

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Could be that the possibly non-existant LEO did not approach you because he was not entirely sure about the "law", and did not want the repercussions of trying to enforce a non-existant law, then approached the cashier and said something along the lines of " I'm not certain, but I think.....". Not that he had any right to do such a thing, but there are LEO's out there who are playing with less than a full deck. If a short decked LEO approached a short decked cashier, all kinds of fun stories could come about. Remember that exercise in elementary school where the whole class sits in a ring, and a sentence is given to one child, and by the time it goes around the ring, it's completely different? It only takes one to screw it up for the rest. Hopefully your attempt at education sinks in.

Carry on.
My elevators NEVER went to top floor We all know that's for Maintenance !

Taurus850CIA

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:

Carry on.
My elevators NEVER went to top floor We all know that's for Maintenance !
:D Funny stuff! I'm always on the lookout for new mat'l. If you don't mind, I think I'll have to use that one!

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Believe you me, I've seen and used quite a lot from this website. It is very informative and useful. The humor is just a cool bonus. ;)

Taurus850CIA

imported post

BTW, I'd be interested in joining you all for breakfast. I carry a small .38 in an IWB holster. I don't have a holster for it for open carry, and "openly" carrying in that holster can be sorta sticky, I understand. I'm personally more comfortable with CC, but I support OC. Depending on the weekend, I'll have my daughter as well. Set it up, and count me in.

Scooter123

imported post

Personally, I am adamantly opposed to mixing guns and alcohol. It's also a violation to have a BOC over 0.02 while carrying concealed in Michigan. Which, means that just 1 beer is enough to void the permit to carry concealed.

Sadly, the same standard does not seem to apply to OC. It also appears that many here think that drinking and guns should be mixed.

As a result of this, I am now OPPOSED to Open Carry, when I was initially tolerant of this method. Until Michigan passes laws that require the same training, and the same requirement for sobriety, as for carrying concealed, I will OPPOSE the Open Carry movement and let my State Representitive aware to my opposition.

So, congrats to the Open Carry Movement. You have convinced a CPL holder, and Pro Gun Advocate, that your all a bunch of knuckleheads that shouldn't be permitted near a firearm. I can only imagine the fodder your "movement" will provide the Anti Gun Movement in the future. You not only piss off the general public with your attitude and swing moderate voters to the anti gun side, your now advocating the mixing of Alcohol and Guns. What are you, some undergound wing of the Anti Gun movement? Because I have to tell you, it sure looks that way to me.

Now, go ahead and start the chest thumping, the flaming, and the yada yada yada 2nd ammendment yada yada yada. Mixing booze and guns is just plain wrong and there is nothing that you can say that will convince me, or any other rational gun owner, differently.

Hcidem

imported post

Just exactly who are you addressing, Scooter123?

I don't drink and carry. I don't know anyone who does. Who are you accusing of promoting open carry while intoxicated? I would like to know.

Edit: The topic of this thread was regarding purchasing alcohol while carrying, not consuming it. Should we also restrict purchasing cigarettes or matches at gas stations?

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

I don't see where anyone said that it's a good idea to actually drink and carry a gun.

I thought this guy was just buying beer("a can of beer") or something to take home. There is nothing wrong with that.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

This guy was always anti-OC. His posts speak for themselves. The fact that he now has made it clear is refreshing. He is free to work against gun-rights as is any anti-gun person. I just hope he is honest and doesn't claim to be pro-gun.