Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did an open carrier in Delaware fire in self-defense?

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

This guy needed all our support especially if the police take any action against him!!! Go to Delaware Open Carry http://www.deloc.org for more details.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

captchuck wrote:
    This guy needed all our support especially if the police take any action against him!!! Go to Delaware Open Carry http://www.deloc.org for more details.
    I can't get into the site.

ETA: Working now.

Post imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
    captchuck wrote:
    I can't get into the site.
    There's an extra space character in the target of the link (hover with your mouse and you will see the problem if your browser status field is enabled). Again, this BB software is for the birds. I hope they don't pay a lot for it! :P And I know it doesn't cost me anything to use, so I shouldn't complain...

The correct link is http://www.deloc.org/

(The problem with this software is that once you put the link in wrong, it's nearly impossible to fix it, even with the Edit function. You have to completely delete the old link, and insert it all over again from scratch. Edits to the link only correct the text label, not the underlying link itself, even if the text label appears to be a link.)

TFred

Post imported post

From this message thread:

http://www.deloc.org/deloc/forums/vi...f=30&t=770

Sounds like the shooter is ... the Co-Founder of... the Delaware Open Carry forum, and also that the would-be robber (the bad guy) is now claiming he was the victim of a robbery attempt!

I hope they are smart enough to figure this all out correctly, and that there are eventually charges filed... against the two would-be robbers!

TFred

ETA: not a participant, but the co-founder of the forum!

Post imported post

And if you're interested in reading the reader comments from the newspaper report... The newspaper has two different articles (my local paper does this too, and it's most annoying...)

The two articles are here, first comments are at the bottom of the pages, so work your way backwards if you want to read them in order:

First article comments
    Second article comments

Of course the second one may change as more comments are added...

TFred (who apparently has too much time on his hands at the moment...)

Post imported post

I love the story, the robber claimed that a band of men, at their own house, tried to rob him

Best of luck to our fellow OC'er

It seems pretty clear cut

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Sounds like the shooter is ... the Co-Founder of... the Delaware Open Carry forum, and also that the would-be robber (the bad guy) is now claiming he was the victim of a robbery attempt!
    If anyone can confirm whether the victim was the co-founder, what his name was, and wheter he was open carrying at the time, please post here or notify me ASAP, thanks!

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    If anyone can confirm whether the victim was the co-founder, what his name was, and wheter he was open carrying at the time, please post here or notify me ASAP, thanks!
    Hi Mike,

I made that statement based on reading all the posts on the thread I quoted earlier:

A username "dave_in_delaware" who first posted at the top of page 2 of that thread, is claiming to be the person involved. Their signature says "Co-Founder and Global Moderator", and all others involved in the thread are treating him as who he says he is. I'm not a member there, but perhaps you can sign up and get contact info from a profile, or at least drop him a note as moderator.

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    Hi Mike,

I made that statement based on reading all the posts on the thread I quoted earlier:

A username "dave_in_delaware" who first posted at the top of page 2 of that thread, is claiming to be the person involved. Their signature says "Co-Founder and Global Moderator", and all others involved in the thread are treating him as who he says he is. I'm not a member there, but perhaps you can sign up and get contact info from a profile, or at least drop him a note as moderator.

TFred
    Do we have Dave's real name and contact info?

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    Hi Mike,

TFred
    Do we have Dave's real name and contact info?
    I don't, but I would suppose you could get it if you set up a username on the Delaware Open Carry forum.

TFred

Post imported post

> Do we have Dave's real name and contact info?

I'm willing to bet that YOU do, since he's also a registered user on this site.

-
    Jim

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Hope all works out as it should.

Good luck Dave in resolving this matter

Regular Member dave_in_delaware's Avatar

Post imported post

Wow. News travels quickly over the Internet....

I can confirm that I'm "dave_in_delaware" on the DELOC forum, I'm the Co-Founder and Global Moderator of Delaware Open Carry, and I am the victim in those news articles....

As for contact info, I'd rather NOT have that made public, please. I'm sure you can understand my reasoning. You can easily contact me via PM (here on OCDO - I'm dave_in_delaware). So I don't know why anything more has to be posted on this public forum. And I don't understand the urgency of letting everyone in the world know my full name or contact info by posting my personal website here... :shock:

The investigation is still underway, so I can't elaborate any further on the incident.

I do appreciate all of your support and prayers. Knowing people are in my corner helps us get through each day.
    Dave
    Co-Founder & Global Moderator
    Delaware Open Carry

Post imported post

dave_in_delaware wrote:

I can confirm that I'm "dave_in_delaware" on the DELOC forum, I'm the Co-Founder and Global Moderator of Delaware Open Carry, and I am the victim in those news articles....

As for contact info, I'd rather NOT have that made public, please. I'm sure you can understand my reasoning. You can easily contact me via PM (here on OCDO - I'm dave_in_delaware). So I don't know why anything more has to be posted on this public forum. And I don't understand the urgency of letting everyone in the world know my full name or contact info by posting my personal website here... :shock:

The investigation is still underway, so I can't elaborate any further on the incident.

I do appreciate all of your support and prayers. Knowing people are in my corner helps us get through each day.
    Although I certainly can't speak for Mike, who like you, is the Co-Founder of this forum, I would be willing to bet a fair amount of whatever that he was just looking to personally get in touch with you, and not to publicly disclose that information.

His e-mail address is on this site, he'd probably be very pleased to hear from you.

TFred

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I hope and trust that no one here was really intending on publishing your contact info. Mike is, to my understanding the founder of opencarry.org and thus his desire to get in contact with you.

I trust all is well with you and hope that all ends well for you.

dave_in_delaware wrote:

Post imported post

From down here in the Bayou state, we wish you the best. Glad that you are physically ok and waiting to hear once you are legally ok. Please keep us advised as you can.

Take care.

Post imported post

I didn't mean to come across as rude, but posting my website address which leads to my name and contact info was... surprising to see on a site like this! Especially when you have no idea WHO may be watching the site for information, especially in light of Monday's events.

A PM to me on this site would have been received.....

Thanks again for your support! I do appreciate it!
    Dave
    Delaware Open Carry

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    dave_in_delaware wrote:

Although I certainly can't speak for Mike, who like you, is the Co-Founder of this forum, I would be willing to bet a fair amount of whatever that he was just looking to personally get in touch with you, and not to publicly disclose that information.

His e-mail address is on this site, he'd probably be very pleased to hear from you.

TFred
    I'm thinking that Mike would be looking to put out a press release that a member of his forum not only open carries but that he actually had to use it to defend his life. Stories like this are received quite well by the general population. It gives everyone hope that the whole world isn't caving in around them.

It's one thing for the press to cover open carry events, rulings in favor of the 2A but quite another to have folks actually defend themselves while under the pressure of an armed robbery.

I just wish that before Mike puts out a press release he give Dave and his lawyer a chance to review it and make sure that personal information is kept to a minimum. This is an ongoing investigation and Dave shouldn't have quotes put in an article that may damage him later.

Post imported post

Best of luck to ya, Dave.

Post imported post

Dave, what are you freaking out about? Nobody published any private info here. As for your website, that's hardly private info.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    Dave, what are you freaking out about? Nobody published any private info here. As for your website, that's hardly private info.
    Before you jump to too many conclusions and say something that you may later regret, please don't forget that this forum allows posters to edit their posts well after they have been made. What you see right now is not what was the cause for concern at an earlier time.

(One clue to look for in this regard is "Edit" times that are hours or even days after the original post was made, a tell-tale sign that content was adjusted at a later time.)

Dave did have legitimate concerns based on what was posted earlier, but it has all been cleaned up now.

TFred

Post imported post

I'm not likely to regret anything I said here, because I have no stake in this.

At any rate, there was only a single post that was edited before Dave's post, so it seemed unlikely that Dave was referring to an edited post. Guess I was wrong.

Also, there's privacy, and then there's public sight. Which category do you suppose a website falls under?

Post imported post

There was concern for my "privacy" in that it seemed like many people were trying to figure out a way to contact me, and posted my website URL here. Not that a webpage is private... But to make it easily accessed (and found) in this particular thread scared me a little. Anyone (including a friend of the robbers) could have easily learned my full name, phone number (and by that my address), and saw what I looked like (photo).

I'm sure if something like this happened to you, you'd be a little worried about too much of your info being easily accessible in one thread... and you'd prefer to err on the side of caution.
    Dave
    Delaware Open Carry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast