• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW exam with rented guns?

aloe

imported post

Can we qualify for the shooting portion of the CCW with a rented gun? Or must you own the gun or gun model before you can do that?

varminter22

imported post

aloe wrote:
Can we qualify for the shooting portion of the CCW with a rented gun? Or must you own the gun or gun model before you can do that?

Yes, you can rent or borrow.

No, you do not need to own the gun.

Completely lawful IAW NRS.

Vegas_Dave

imported post

varminter22 wrote:
aloe wrote:

Yes, you can rent or borrow.

No, you do not need to own the gun.

Completely lawful IAW NRS.

You would have to qualify with the EXACT model that you plan on concealing though, correct?

I.E. You cant rent and qualify with a Glock 19 and then go buy and carry concealed a Glock 21.

AnakinsKid

imported post

My instructor said that Clark County requires that you do own it and have it registered in your name. She wouldn't allow a married couple to both qualify with the same gun unless they registered it in both names. They ran over to Metro to re-register it.

I hope she was wrong. Check with the instructor you're going to use and Metro before you take the class.

Gordie

imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:
My instructor said that Clark County requires that you do own it and have it registered in your name. She wouldn't allow a married couple to both qualify with the same gun unless they registered it in both names. They ran over to Metro to re-register it.

I hope she was wrong. Check with the instructor you're going to use and Metro before you take the class.
Find a new instructor. The laws regarding CCW are state statutes. Local entities can not require more than is allowed by state law.

AnakinsKid

imported post

Gordie wrote:
AnakinsKid wrote:

Find a new instructor. The laws regarding CCW are state statutes. Local entities can not require more than is allowed by state law.
Yeah. I used a different instructor when I added guns. The instructors said it's in the County Code that it is required. The other instructor I used still required that I show them my blue cards.

Gordie

imported post

From another forum:

[NRS Ch 202 is here: www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3653 There is no requirement that a person must OWN a handgun.

In Clark County, residents must register handguns. But there is no requirement to carry the "blue card." From www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_registration.html for Clark County residents only:

Quote:

You should carry the gun registration card (not required) whenever you are in possession of the registered firearm.

And we must not allow Clark County (or any county or municipality) to "add" requirements. NRS 244.364, 268.418 and 269.222 state the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county, city, nor town may infringe upon those rights and powers.]

ThanksL.R. for doing the research.

This seems to be an ongoing problem in Clark Co. andwe can only stop it by educating people on the NRS. Print out the NRS and see what they have to say. If they can't show where you are required by law to have the gun registered in your own name, yet still require it,let them know that you will pass it along to as many peopleas you can that they are in violation of the NRS. Of course you could always just take the course in another county if you don't want to fight it out.

varminter22

imported post

Well, here is the Clark County Code: http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/clarknv/

I am not an attorney, but I challenge anyone to cite the code that requires any/all handguns with which you want to qualify/place on your CCW permit to be registered in YOUR name.

I suspect they will quote 12.04.200:
12.04.200 Registration of firearms capable of being concealed.
It is unlawful for any person with at least sixty days of residency in the county to own or have in his possession, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, a pistol or other firearm capable of being concealed, unless the same has first been registered with the sheriff or with a police department of any of the incorporated cities of Clark County. (Ord. 3571 §4, 2007: Ord. 242 §20, 1965)
Look closely. It says "...unless the same has first been registered with the sheriff or with a police department ..."

That means the handgun must be registered - BUT NOTyou, the person wishing to qualify and place on your CCW permit.

Obviously, one can borrow a handgun (that has been duly registered by it's lawful owner) and use it for lawful purposes.

See also 12.04.210:
12.04.210 Unlawful transfer of firearms capable of being concealed.
It is unlawful for any person to sell, give away or permanently pass possession to another person of any pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed, unless the transferor thereof first registers, or causes the weapon to be registered to the transferee and new owner thereof, either with the sheriff, or with a police department of one of the incorporated cities of Clark County. (Ord. 242 § 21, 1965)
"...sell, give away or permanently pass possession to another person of any pistol, revolver..." A temporary loan is NOT unlawful.

The Nevada state CCW permit law/system is a separate issue from Clark County registration.

A person is NOT required to have the "blue card" (registration) with them (nor the handgun) at all times as is commonly said. See http://www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_registration.html
You should carry the gun registration card (not required) whenever you are in possession of the registered firearm.
Again, I am not an attorney. But I challenge anyone to dispute the above info.

Any/all CCW Instructors AND/OR any/all law enforcement officials MUST be held to task.

Vegassteve

imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:

I think that couple was us. And we did do that BUT then we talked to the folks at the class with the help of Stillwater Firearms and explained how they were wrong. So that the next time someone would not have to go through that.

Vegassteve

imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:
Gordie wrote:
AnakinsKid wrote:

Yeah. I used a different instructor when I added guns. The instructors said it's in the County Code that it is required. The other instructor I used still required that I show them my blue cards.

Who is doing that? Discount was but after I had contacted the CCW office Discount now has a new form and no longer looks at the blue card.

AnakinsKid

imported post

Vegassteve wrote:
AnakinsKid wrote:
Gordie wrote:
AnakinsKid wrote:

Who is doing that? Discount was but after I had contacted the CCW office Discount now has a new form and no longer looks at the blue card.
Bargain Pawn was the one that told us it had to be registered in our names to qualify with. American Shooters on Arville checked my blue card when I added guns. Neither actually recorded the serial number (they crossed out that box), but both did examine the blue cards.

Bargain Pawn was in April, American Shooters was in October. Both this year.

I have no doubt that you guys are right and it isn't required. I'm just saying that not all instructors know the law. Or police officers, for that matter. They'll listen to what the Sheriff says, and he wants to restrict more than he's allowed by law. Does the Sheriff have the authority to de-certify an instructor? If so, it's in their interest to obey his illegal restrictions, or go out of business.

I also have a problem with dealers still doing that stupid 3 day "cooling off period". That's regulating possession, which is explicitly prohibited by the statewide preemption. But the dealers are the ones that would get in trouble for challenging it, so they go along with it.

Any buyer that wants to challenge it is unlikely to know the law already, being a first-time handgun buyer (supposedly). If the buyer tries to challenge it in court, by the time the judge hears about it, the waiting period is already over, so they don't have the motivation to follow through. If I had the money to throw at a lawyer, I'd have one standing by with a lawsuit in hand, ready to file, and refuse to show a blue card next time I buy a handgun. I'd even open carry while buying so the dealer knows that I do own one already.

Gordie

imported post

If a sheriff were to take away an instructors certification for failing to follow the sheriff's illegal orders I would imagine that they would have cause to sue.

varminter22

imported post

Does the Sheriff have the authority to de-certify an instructor?
The answer to your question is on page 3 of the NSCA Training Standards document, here:http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/Documents/CCW/CCW_Training_Standards_p3.pdf

Also, see NSCA Training Standards cover letter here: http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/Documents/CCW/CCW_Cover_Letter.pdf

and page 1: ww.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/Documents/CCW/CCW_Training_Standards_p1.pdf

and page 2 http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/Documents/CCW/CCW_Training_Standards_p2.pdf

AnakinsKid

imported post

Gordie wrote:
If a sheriff were to take away an instructors certification for failing to follow the sheriff's illegal orders I would imagine that they would have cause to sue.
But how much would they lose in business while the case is pending? And the chance, however small, that they'd lose? It would need to be a very serious activist to step up and risk their livelihood.

varminter22

imported post

Well, the private citizens of Clark County wouldn't lose anything by requesting the Clark County Sheriff provide LAWFUL guidance to the businesses.

I just hate to see good people say, "Oh well" and put up with unlawfulness such as this.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Vegas_Dave wrote:
You would have to qualify with the EXACT model that you plan on concealing though, correct?

I.E. You cant rent and qualify with a Glock 19 and then go buy and carry concealed a Glock 21.

True for semi-autos but not for revolvers.

Qualifying on any revolver will allow you to conceal any other revolver.