Thread: CC PERMIT ILLEGAL ?

Post imported post

HELLO,

i live in state of maine. i am a deaf man. i have guns for my protection and hunting. i often open carry in my town which is very rural. i own a small farm. so im thinking about getting a CC permit and was told that i must attend safety course and that it would cost me 75 clams. so i went to a gunshop and paid 150 clams , one for me and one for my wife. i requested to have an ASL interpreter (american sign language) provided for us at the scheduledseminar.

Few days before the seminar started, i got a call on videophone and was told that there will be no interpreter provided AND THAT I WOULD HAVE TO PAY AND PROVIDED AN INTERPRETER MYSELF. (sorry about caps). the cost for an interpreter will be 75clams an hour. since the seminar would take about 8 hours. that would cost us a fortune. and iasked the guy at thegunshopif i can bring my ten years old son who is hearing and can sign ASL and that he can interp for us. he say no. the interpreter would have to be licensed and certified professional. so now ,what ? the hell with it i was given a right to bear my arms and i felt im being really hassled and screwed for trying to get a CC permit just because i can't hear. FYI, i can sure as hell aim my gun better than dick cheney.

its been almost three months since i paid the fee for the instruction and still havent gotten my refund yet. and im thinking about just to go and apply for my permit without innstructional class. but i wonder will they issue me one if i dont go to the seminar ?

thanks in advance if any help can done for me. ( pardon my bad grammar as english is not my primary language).

crookarrow

State Researcher

Post imported post

Interesting. At the very least I would consult with a civil rights attorney. Also are there any programs for the deaf in your area that can help with an interpreter?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

ADA? Without foundation in law I doubt a shopowner can require anything relating to a legally mandated protocol.

Post imported post

Was this seminar done by the gunshop? If so, did you talk to the manager or owner of the shop? It seems to me that if they require you to provide your own interpreter, then they probably have no standing to impose restrictions on the type or certification (or lack thereof) of the interpreter. Now, the age of your son might have raised a red flag and might actually have been the real reason for the response you got. Maybe you could request to attend anther seminar in place of getting a refund, and simply show up with an interpreter of your choice.

Post imported post

i assume that the state does provide interpreter regarding legality. but with heavy bureauracy, i often get the go around. why do i need to pay for service to obtain and keep and carry my right given to me by the consitution 2nd amendemt gauranteened ? while most of you can just walk in and walk out with a permit in wallet minus a few clams and i cant ? i have no criminal history. dont the disabled have rights too ya know, imagine how i felt when told like that in a face to face ?

fyi,the gunshop owner told me that i would have to call the state to get help on providing interpreter. the seminar is being run by retired leo and is using the gunshop's space. he says thats what the teacher told him and he told me. it got me thinking, maybe he's behind that curtian ? duh!

peace , crookarraow.

Post imported post

It would seem to me that you should be protected against this by the ADA. but i admittedly am ignorant of any law or ruling pertaining to this matter (and i am not a lawyer) I would think that maybe you could request a 'special' session that is maybe more 1 on 1 where your son could attend and assist. Is your wife deaf as well? Maybe written as opposed to verbal instruction?

Best of luck to you in your endeavor!

(maybe this will turn into opportunity for you to develop a class geared towards the disabled community?)

Post imported post

Contact the State Attorney Generals office about getting your payment back and about the Maine ADA equivalent. If you don't get satisfaction, contact the ACLU and tell them you have been discriminated against under the Federal statute. Youe son should certainly be adequate and there will probably be a written exam. If you pass it, then you have met the requirement for the course irrespective of the manner in which you were "taught" the very, very basic and common sense content. Good luck! Don't allow yourself to be discriminated against in this fashion.

Check this website: http://www.maine.gov/rehab/ada/index.shtml
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Sorry to hear about your situation. It sucks I am sure!! But at least you can still OC while you wait.

Are you able to take a class online like we can here in Virginia?

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Interesting. At the very least I would consult with a civil rights attorney. Also are there any programs for the deaf in your area that can help with an interpreter?
    Most definitely contact an attorney, If your state can provide interpreters for their courts, then they can provide them for state mandated courses..