• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in sandy

nickbeam775

imported post

WellI just moved to utah a month ago, I live in sandy I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems from the local pd, of if there is a group of oc people in my area.

Matai

imported post

pitythefools wrote:
oh my Sandy is the worst. YOU are treading in muddy waters my friend. EVERYONE on this forum has issuses with cops when it comes to firearms. Only place worse is Harmons. The security there will disarm you in a very rude way.
If you didn't catch it, he's joking. :lol:

I'm also in Sandy (and my family routinely shops at Harmon's) and I carry just about every day, sometimes open and sometimes concealed. Most of the time, people don't even notice it.

You'll be fine. I recommend attending one of our get togethers to meet up with other OCDO-ites.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

nickbeam775 wrote:
WellI just moved to utah a month ago, I live in sandy I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems from the local pd, of if there is a group of oc people in my area.
I've lived in Sandy for over a decade. Openly carried on a regular basis for several years now. Never had a serious problem. A couple years ago had a nice conversation with Police Lt at the Independence Day celebrations when I declined to make any attempt to cover my OCed 1911. We looked at code together, he and his Sgt realized that maybe they needed to reread things, more important issues came up, and I went on my way. Was never disarmed or formally detained.

It is my one and only interaction with Sandy PD while legally armed. I've had one interaction with the UHP at the State Capital while OCing that was so low key and quick it hardly even counts as an interaction.

Nor have I ever had a problem in Walmart, Harmons, Costco, or anyplace while carrying.

That all said, I am late 30s (and look it), white, often have my wife and or children with me at such times, and tend to make a habit to dress a little better than grungies if I am going to OC. I also tend to casually conceal as much or more as actually fully OCing. And when I do fully OC, I am just as likely to carry a 1911 or Glock against a black Polo shirt as anything else. And I do have a Utah CCW permit.

Simply put, I don't OC with the deliberate attempt to draw attention to myself when I OC. Most people never notice. Those who do, are not likely to be alarmed.

And I keep a copy of the relevent laws in my head and wallet.

Others seem to have problems to no end and at times I have to wonder if dress, demeanor, age, or other appearance do not play some role.

Charles

nickbeam775

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
nickbeam775 wrote:
I've lived in Sandy for over a decade. Openly carried on a regular basis for several years now. Never had a serious problem. A couple years ago had a nice conversation with Police Lt at the Independence Day celebrations when I declined to make any attempt to cover my OCed 1911. We looked at code together, he and his Sgt realized that maybe they needed to reread things, more important issues came up, and I went on my way. Was never disarmed or formally detained.

It is my one and only interaction with Sandy PD while legally armed. I've had one interaction with the UHP at the State Capital while OCing that was so low key and quick it hardly even counts as an interaction.

Nor have I ever had a problem in Walmart, Harmons, Costco, or anyplace while carrying.

That all said, I am late 30s (and look it), white, often have my wife and or children with me at such times, and tend to make a habit to dress a little better than grungies if I am going to OC. I also tend to casually conceal as much or more as actually fully OCing. And when I do fully OC, I am just as likely to carry a 1911 or Glock against a black Polo shirt as anything else. And I do have a Utah CCW permit.

Simply put, I don't OC with the deliberate attempt to draw attention to myself when I OC. Most people never notice. Those who do, are not likely to be alarmed.

And I keep a copy of the relevent laws in my head and wallet.

Others seem to have problems to no end and at times I have to wonder if dress, demeanor, age, or other appearance do not play some role.

Charles
Thanks very much for yuor input that is all really good stuff i am taking my ccw class on the 6th but will still continue toocuntil i have my ccw i do carry everywhere i go and have not yet had any problems and it is good to know that there is other people in my area that do the same

scorpioajr

imported post

pitythefools wrote:
Matai wrote:
pitythefools wrote:
oh my Sandy is the worst. YOU are treading in muddy waters my friend. EVERYONE on this forum has issuses with cops when it comes to firearms. Only place worse is Harmons. The security there will disarm you in a very rude way.
If you didn't catch it, he's joking. :lol:

I'm also in Sandy (and my family routinely shops at Harmon's) and I carry just about every day, sometimes open and sometimes concealed. Most of the time, people don't even notice it.

You'll be fine. I recommend attending one of our get togethers to meet up with other OCDO-ites.
....I think perhaps ones own conduct may have much to do with this.....
I would have to agree with this statement. While i haven't been OCing for AS long, I too - have never attracted/warranted attention from Police. I wear the occasional torn jeans and short sleeves to sport my ink from my earlier/stupider days...but when i OC, its all nice jeans/khakis and long sleeve button down shirts. i feel that it puts the general public at ease.

thx997303

imported post

I musta been doing something wrong when I went to Target that one day. Oh yeah, I know what I was doing wrong......

I went to Target.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Oh yeah, I know what I was doing wrong......

I went to Target.
HOOAH! :p

The first step in dealing with a problem, is admitting that you have a problem.

My wife will not admit to this "problem". ;)

smallmansyndrome

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
I musta been doing something wrong when I went to Target that one day. Oh yeah, I know what I was doing wrong......

I went to Target.

DUDE!

you have the worst luck! Arrested, harassed, teased by the cows and then the County Swat team at your house....

You gotta party with a more mellow crowd.

thx997303

imported post

Funny thing is, I wasn't partying on that particular night, and it was the city swat team.

Man, I can't believe that even a city like Lehi has a SWAT team.

Crazy stuff.

41 Magnum

imported post

Well, figure Lehi has had on officer killed and one shot in the last few years. Happy Valley isn't all that happy anymore.

I've been on a few ride alongs with local officers, and it's amazing the things folks do anymore.

smallmansyndrome

imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
Well, figure Lehi has had on officer killed and one shot in the last few years. Happy Valley isn't all that happy anymore.

I've been on a few ride alongs with local officers, and it's amazing the things folks do anymore.
NO KIDDING!

scorpioajr

imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
...Happy Valley isn't all that happy anymore....

i have actually been hearing this a lot lately. i suppose the influx of out of stater's and 'Southerners' (illegals..) are making quite the impact on the friendly little eco-bubble these county's once had.

rightsreserved

imported post

thoughtpolice wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
...out of stater's and 'Southerners' (illegals..)....
295e49c7fbe28b9a

:lol:
Living up to your nickname IC. being PC is the liberal way of subjagating thought