• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for good CHP class in NOVA

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I won't be 21 till next November, but my dad asked me about getting a CHP which if you all know my background I was ecstatic!!! Anyways I wanted to find a good CHP class in northern virginia that both my dad and I can take together. Thanks!

eyesopened

imported post

pourshot offers classes

gilberts small arms offers classes in Lorton

pretty much any range will offer basic pistol classes that will satisfy the CHP requirement

nova

imported post

Gilberts was booked and I didn't want to fool around with being a standby so I took the class offered at Guns and Ammo Warehouse. Signed my whole family up so we all are now good to get permits. :)

I used the certifcate to get my ME permit since I can't get a VA permit for another year and a half. It's complicated, but once I get my NH permit in the mail I'll be able to carry while in PA since I spend a lot of time there.

I'll just continue to OC in VA until I can get my permit.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.safepistol.com/

Classes taught by Chip Lohman. Has legal classes taught by Richard Gardiner.

After the classroom portion Chip takes you to the NRA range in Fairfax for hands on familiarization, and issues certificates for proof of training for CHP.

Wound up Lisa so much she decided she wanted to become an NRA certified instructor.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

The Arliington/Fairfax chapter of the Izaac Walton League offers the full blown 2-day NRA course. I think it's $20 for members and $40 for non-members. I have been a member since '94. One of the best kept secrets in the area. We have 140 acres at the southwest corner of Fairfax County a short ways from Centreville. Rifle, handgun, shotgun, archery, a stocked fishing pond, and camping facilities.

soloban

imported post

I was at Gilbert's this morning. They run classes on Mon & Wed from 6-10. Heard one of the employees talking to someone on the phone about the classes, they are booked up until mid-Jan.

tsannicolas

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I won't be 21 till next November, but my dad asked me about getting a CHP which if you all know my background I was ecstatic!!! Anyways I wanted to find a good CHP class in northern virginia that both my dad and I can take together. Thanks!
i just took Mike Wilson's class this week and it was pretty good. $75
http://users.rcn.com/sybaris/

cmbf117

imported post

The NRA range offers in-house classes, as well. A coworker of mine recently took his class there and had nothing but good things to say. It's a little pricey, though...

Vertflex

imported post

tsannicolas wrote:

I saw that online and felt very uncomfortable when he sent an e-mail back to me. For some reason it didn't feel legit to me. Seem like an automatic message was sent to whoever e-mails him, so I didn't know if it was real or not.

I did like how he does the class very often and for a good price. Do you have any more information to offer from your experience?

tsannicolas

imported post

Vertflex wrote:
tsannicolas wrote:

I saw that online and felt very uncomfortable when he sent an e-mail back to me. For some reason it didn't feel legit to me. Seem like an automatic message was sent to whoever e-mails him, so I didn't know if it was real or not.

I did like how he does the class very often and for a good price. Do you have any more information to offer from your experience?
Yeah, i felt the same way at first. but it's definitely a legitimate class. It's a small class format that is very hands on, and he offers range time if you get a day class. Just a word of caution, if you decide to do the class, make sure that you receive ALL of the emails, especially the 3rd one as it contains the address of the actual class. Hope this helps.

JodyinFairfax

imported post

Me and my friends took a class taught by Mr. Mike Wilson (gun_training@yahoo.com) in Alexandria. It was an excellent class. As I understand Mr. Wilson has 12 years teaching experience and it shows because he is an excellent teacher.

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
The Arliington/Fairfax chapter of the Izaac Walton League offers the full blown 2-day NRA course. I think it's $20 for members and $40 for non-members. I have been a member since '94. One of the best kept secrets in the area. We have 140 acres at the southwest corner of Fairfax County a short ways from Centreville. Rifle, handgun, shotgun, archery, a stocked fishing pond, and camping facilities.
+1

Paul took me out one day to show me the facilities. It was AMAZING