Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chesapeake to Hold Gun Buy Back on December 6

Post imported post

Chesapeake police will give gift cards for turned-in guns

By Cindy Clayton
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © November 26, 2008
    CHESAPEAKE

Chesapeake police will host a gun buyback on Dec. 6.

From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at two police precincts, police will give a $100 gift card for each functioning handgun turned in, according to a statement from the department.

The goal of the program is to reduce violent crime by taking guns off the street, the department says.

The buyback program will be held at the Second Precinct, 1209 20th St. in South Norfolk, and at the Fourth Precinct, 4765 Stationhouse Road in Western Branch.

Handguns must be unloaded and stored in a clear container such as a clear storage bag.

Gift cards will not be given for rifles, shotguns or ammunition, but the items will be accepted. Ammunition must be in a separate container.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

The police already have Ryan Frederick's gun. Do you think they'll give him a gift card?
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Handguns must be unloaded and stored in a clear container such as a clear storage bag.
    To retain fingerprints?

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    .....police will give a $100 gift card for each functioning handgun turned in......
    Underline added. So mutch for getting rid of a couple of junkers.

Post imported post

I made some money off the NN buyback last year. All the cops did was give the guns a cursory look-over, pull the trigger a time or two, then give you a card. It only needs to appear "probably functional".

Post imported post

Hmm... Gilbert's has a bunch of trade-in .25Cal SNS's hanging on the wall behind the counter for $60...Chesapeake is offering $100 per gun...

Post imported post

Cash only. Don't take gift cards. After Christmas the business may go bankrupt.

Post imported post

I've heard of really nice, expensive guns being turned in by family members or survivors of a deceased, but formerly avid gun owner or collector. Or for expensive guns to be turned in by otherwise unknowing people who came to possess such wonders by various means.

I wonder... Would it be legal for a VA resident with a pocketfull of cash (or gift cards) to hang around outside and offer $150 for cherry pieces as people are coming in?

Food for thought...

Post imported post

markand wrote:
    Would it be legal for a VA resident with a pocketfull of cash (or gift cards) to hang around outside and offer $150 for cherry pieces as people are coming in?
    No law against it. We will see what Chesapeake P.D. thinks on 6 December.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

It would be really funny to see them make a law specifically for it.

It'd be even funnier to see it get held up and delayed in court.

Anyone want to take a trip to Chesapeake in December?

Road trip!
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Deleted

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
    ...I'll douse their filthy pig uniforms with a gallon of water...
    This comment is totally unnecessary....please edit.

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:

Road trip!
    That's what I'm saying! And wear "Guns Save Lives" stickers!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    Virginian683 wrote:
    ...I'll douse their filthy pig uniforms with a gallon of water...
    This comment is totally unnecessary....please edit.

Thought I was reading something out of the late 60's from some radical left protest group. Wow, on this site, that does seem a skosh flagrant.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:

Road trip!
    Now that is an idea: Press release for immediate circulation

OPEN CARRY .ORG will hold a gun buy back program outside nexttothe City buy back program paying $110 in cash and up to $150 in cash for working "assault rifles." Gift cards are nice but won't get you a few extra rocks of coke smoketo spreadthe Holiday cheer. Come over to the side walk stand in front of the police station and exercises you 2nd amendment rights and get some crack cocaine on us. Open carry .org supports your right to get top dollar for your guns.

Disclaimer: We reserve the rights to pass on any stolen or poorly maintained weapon. Weaponmust be test fired in the parking lot of the police station prior to approaching our booth. If we don't hear a boom you don't get no blow.

Post imported post

Well, this thread sure went to hell.

Post imported post

O.K. I started this thread because Gun Buy Backs are about everything that I just can't stand.

Why do I hate them so much?

1) They take police off of the street or they costthe taxpayerspolice overtime with no tangible benefit to the community.

2) They do not reduce crime, but they make stupid people feel good. Criminals do not give up their guns, but citizens do. This only makes the neighborhoods less safe as police cannot and do not defend them. Without their arms, the people cannot defend their neighborhoods and homes either.

3) They support a culture which vilifies inanimate objects (handguns) instead of the scumbags that mis-use the guns.

4) They are racist in nature, as they are conducted in minority-majority areas . The programsentice poor citizens with gift cards which can only be used to support consumerism during the holiday season, notforimportant items such as heat, food or rent. The racist slant is prominent in the Chesapeake program. Why are the Chesapeake Police using the precincts with the largest African American populations?

So I will be OCing in South Norfolk on Saturday looking for a good buy on handguns, but really on rifles, shotguns and ammo, since the Police will not give any gift cards for them.

Please keep the stereotyping and borderline racist comments out of this thread. We at OCDO are better than that. I just wish the Chesapeake PDwere betteras well.

Post imported post

Maybe they are hosting in those areas because they are racist. OR MAYBE because gun ownership is higher there????? Could that be a reason? Lets not go and look for racism in every little place we can. I just hate it when people start yelling racism everytime something happens.

I agree...gun buybacks are stupid. For all the reasons you said (except the raceism comment). If I had the cash, I would be out there with you in South Norfolk looking for a new to me gun.

Post imported post

When did the Government own the guns? Is the Government admitting it sold guns to people who are not permitted to own guns, and they are just trying to cover their backsides?

Really, they need to come up with a better name than "buy back".

Post imported post

Custom Volusia wrote:
    Maybe they are hosting in those areas because they are racist. OR MAYBE because gun ownership is higher there????? Could that be a reason? Lets not go and look for racism in every little place we can. I just hate it when people start yelling racism everytime something happens.

I agree...gun buybacks are stupid. For all the reasons you said (except the raceism comment). If I had the cash, I would be out there with you in South Norfolk looking for a new to me gun.
    Sorry but I live in Chesapeake. Gun ownership is not lower in the 3rd precinct than the second precinct. There are more minorities in the2nd precinct than in the3rd precinct. As I have said, I wish it weren't that way, but it is obvious what is being done. I have over 1600 posts here and this is only the second time I thought there was a racial component. Thefirst was the latest Danbus incident.

Post imported post

It is totally naive not to see the demographics factor in these buy-back programs. It is not racist when statistics support this conclusion. South Norfolk has had its ups and downs over the years but black-on- black crime is consistent. These wannabe thugs and gang members will continue to kill each other, sometimes over trivial nonsense,and unfortunately, alsowhoever else is unlucky enough to bein theline of fire. "Change we can believe in" will morph into "Welfare we can believe in" and crimewill only get worse while law abiding, gun owningcitizens will continue to be scapegoated. Fasten your seatbelts.

Post imported post

I didn't say that this definitely wasn't in a predominantly black area. I just don't think that makes it racist right away. It all depends on the reasons. Due to the level of crime in those areas, I think it makes more sense to hold these (not that it makes any sense to hold one at all) in the those areas. Doesn't make it racist. It's still not gonna help the crime levels since the people who commit crimes aren't gonna turn in their guns, but to the general public that is what it will look like they are trying to do.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

The PC Emperor nor all his family have no clothes.

Post imported post

I live in chesapeake and am not happy to know that I will be paying for these gun one way or another!

Post imported post

noah wrote:
    I live in chesapeake and am not happy to know that I will be paying for these gun one way or another!
    Well, you'd better make that fact known to your city leaders, then.

Point out that, as these guns are taken no-questions-asked, this is essentially a city-funded way to destroy criminal evidence.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast