• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesapeake to Hold Gun Buy Back on December 6

Thundar

imported post

Chesapeake police will give gift cards for turned-in guns

By Cindy Clayton
The Virginian-Pilot
© November 26, 2008
CHESAPEAKE

Chesapeake police will host a gun buyback on Dec. 6.

From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at two police precincts, police will give a $100 gift card for each functioning handgun turned in, according to a statement from the department.

The goal of the program is to reduce violent crime by taking guns off the street, the department says.

The buyback program will be held at the Second Precinct, 1209 20th St. in South Norfolk, and at the Fourth Precinct, 4765 Stationhouse Road in Western Branch.

Handguns must be unloaded and stored in a clear container such as a clear storage bag.

Gift cards will not be given for rifles, shotguns or ammunition, but the items will be accepted. Ammunition must be in a separate container.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I made some money off the NN buyback last year. All the cops did was give the guns a cursory look-over, pull the trigger a time or two, then give you a card. It only needs to appear "probably functional".

soloban

imported post

Hmm... Gilbert's has a bunch of trade-in .25Cal SNS's hanging on the wall behind the counter for $60...Chesapeake is offering $100 per gun...

markand

imported post

I've heard of really nice, expensive guns being turned in by family members or survivors of a deceased, but formerly avid gun owner or collector. Or for expensive guns to be turned in by otherwise unknowing people who came to possess such wonders by various means.

I wonder... Would it be legal for a VA resident with a pocketfull of cash (or gift cards) to hang around outside and offer $150 for cherry pieces as people are coming in?

Food for thought...

Thundar

imported post

markand wrote:
Would it be legal for a VA resident with a pocketfull of cash (or gift cards) to hang around outside and offer $150 for cherry pieces as people are coming in?
No law against it. We will see what Chesapeake P.D. thinks on 6 December.

AbNo

imported post

It would be really funny to see them make a law specifically for it.

It'd be even funnier to see it get held up and delayed in court.

Anyone want to take a trip to Chesapeake in December?

Road trip!

richarcm

imported post

AbNo wrote:

Road trip!

That's what I'm saying! And wear "Guns Save Lives" stickers! :)

no carry permit ?

imported post

AbNo wrote:

Road trip!

Now that is an idea: Press release for immediate circulation

OPEN CARRY .ORG will hold a gun buy back program outside nexttothe City buy back program paying $110 in cash and up to $150 in cash for working "assault rifles." Gift cards are nice but won't get you a few extra rocks of coke smoketo spreadthe Holiday cheer. Come over to the side walk stand in front of the police station and exercises you 2nd amendment rights and get some crack cocaine on us. Open carry .org supports your right to get top dollar for your guns.

Disclaimer: We reserve the rights to pass on any stolen or poorly maintained weapon. Weaponmust be test fired in the parking lot of the police station prior to approaching our booth. If we don't hear a boom you don't get no blow.

Thundar

imported post

O.K. I started this thread because Gun Buy Backs are about everything that I just can't stand.

Why do I hate them so much?

1) They take police off of the street or they costthe taxpayerspolice overtime with no tangible benefit to the community.

2) They do not reduce crime, but they make stupid people feel good. Criminals do not give up their guns, but citizens do. This only makes the neighborhoods less safe as police cannot and do not defend them. Without their arms, the people cannot defend their neighborhoods and homes either.

3) They support a culture which vilifies inanimate objects (handguns) instead of the scumbags that mis-use the guns.

4) They are racist in nature, as they are conducted in minority-majority areas . The programsentice poor citizens with gift cards which can only be used to support consumerism during the holiday season, notforimportant items such as heat, food or rent. The racist slant is prominent in the Chesapeake program. Why are the Chesapeake Police using the precincts with the largest African American populations?

So I will be OCing in South Norfolk on Saturday looking for a good buy on handguns, but really on rifles, shotguns and ammo, since the Police will not give any gift cards for them.

Please keep the stereotyping and borderline racist comments out of this thread. We at OCDO are better than that. I just wish the Chesapeake PDwere betteras well.

Custom Volusia

imported post

Maybe they are hosting in those areas because they are racist. OR MAYBE because gun ownership is higher there????? Could that be a reason? Lets not go and look for racism in every little place we can. I just hate it when people start yelling racism everytime something happens.

I agree...gun buybacks are stupid. For all the reasons you said (except the raceism comment). If I had the cash, I would be out there with you in South Norfolk looking for a new to me gun.

rebfan

imported post

When did the Government own the guns? Is the Government admitting it sold guns to people who are not permitted to own guns, and they are just trying to cover their backsides?

Really, they need to come up with a better name than "buy back".

Thundar

imported post

Custom Volusia wrote:
Maybe they are hosting in those areas because they are racist. OR MAYBE because gun ownership is higher there????? Could that be a reason? Lets not go and look for racism in every little place we can. I just hate it when people start yelling racism everytime something happens.

I agree...gun buybacks are stupid. For all the reasons you said (except the raceism comment). If I had the cash, I would be out there with you in South Norfolk looking for a new to me gun.
Sorry but I live in Chesapeake. Gun ownership is not lower in the 3rd precinct than the second precinct. There are more minorities in the2nd precinct than in the3rd precinct. As I have said, I wish it weren't that way, but it is obvious what is being done. I have over 1600 posts here and this is only the second time I thought there was a racial component. Thefirst was the latest Danbus incident.