• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesapeake to Hold Gun Buy Back on December 6

tripledipper

imported post

It is totally naive not to see the demographics factor in these buy-back programs. It is not racist when statistics support this conclusion. South Norfolk has had its ups and downs over the years but black-on- black crime is consistent. These wannabe thugs and gang members will continue to kill each other, sometimes over trivial nonsense,and unfortunately, alsowhoever else is unlucky enough to bein theline of fire. "Change we can believe in" will morph into "Welfare we can believe in" and crimewill only get worse while law abiding, gun owningcitizens will continue to be scapegoated. Fasten your seatbelts.:uhoh:

Custom Volusia

imported post

I didn't say that this definitely wasn't in a predominantly black area. I just don't think that makes it racist right away. It all depends on the reasons. Due to the level of crime in those areas, I think it makes more sense to hold these (not that it makes any sense to hold one at all) in the those areas. Doesn't make it racist. It's still not gonna help the crime levels since the people who commit crimes aren't gonna turn in their guns, but to the general public that is what it will look like they are trying to do.

AbNo

imported post

noah wrote:
I live in chesapeake and am not happy to know that I will be paying for these gun one way or another!
Well, you'd better make that fact known to your city leaders, then.

Point out that, as these guns are taken no-questions-asked, this is essentially a city-funded way to destroy criminal evidence.

Thundar

imported post

I went to the event.

I bought two long guns. Old and nice to add to my collection. Paid $30 fore the 410 bolt shotgun and $20 for the old Marlin .22

The buy back requirement was to put the gun in a clear plastic bag, so it was nice to be able to see what people were turning in.

There were 22 people in line when the event started. The processing was very slow and the line grew to 30 people.

The handguns being turned in were mostly junk. There was a niceRuger Mk I, but the old guy was scared and didn't want to sell it to me.

The sellers were mostly old, lots of veterans, about 90% white.

There were at least 3 police officers in line to sell handguns, including a uniformed Norfolk Sargent. The police officers all had multiple junk guns, one with 7 of them. I wonder where they bget all of those junk guns?:shock:

The Chesapeake Community Television Station (Cable Channel 48 here in Chesapeake) showed up and was doing an interview with the CPD Public Affairs Officer, Ms. Boykins. What was being said was inaccurate and one sided, (I guess she got the memo from the Brady Bunch)

I quickly made an impromptu Guns Save Lives poster from the back of the bill of sale that I was using and placed it behind her. She was upset, and said she did not like it. When they tried to redo the interview and she again started to spew, out came the guns save lives sign again.

Lots of tax money apparently went into this effort. A large graphically designed poster was hung from the police station, lots of police detective involvement, PAO involvement, Community Access Television. Too bad this feel good expenditure could not have been used more productively for something like chasing criminals.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Thundar wrote:
I quickly made an impromptu Guns Save Lives poster from the back of the bill of sale that I was using and placed it behind her. She was upset, and said she did not like it. When they tried to redo the interview and she again started to spew, out came the guns save lives sign again.
That made me chuckle.

Thundar

imported post

For you 18-20 year olds who want a handgun... This is an opportunity. You can buy one legally in front of the police station today until one pm.

Armed

imported post

Great job, Thundar! I'm curious... what was the process to turn in the guns? What were the police doing with them, or what questions were they asking when folks were handing them over?

I wonder if it would be worth it, to establish a fund to compete with departments that put on this lunacy? They hand out gift certificates, we pay cash. Of course, what would we then do with all the junk guns? Auction them off as fund raisers or something?

Thundar

imported post

Armed wrote:
Great job, Thundar! I'm curious... what was the process to turn in the guns? What were the police doing with them, or what questions were they asking when folks were handing them over?

I wonder if it would be worth it, to establish a fund to compete with departments that put on this lunacy? They hand out gift certificates, we pay cash. Of course, what would we then do with all the junk guns? Auction them off as fund raisers or something?

Most of the handguns were junk guns. They would accept rifles and shotguns, but wouldn't give gift cards for them.

The guns were being recieved inside the precinct which is normally open to the public, but which was closed due to the gun buy back. They would only let two gun "givers/sellers" in the door at a time. Don't know what the procedures inside were.

You would not want to comete with the $100 gift cards for most of the items. Lots of people made out ahead. The way I plan to compete at the next gun buy back is to take my junk handguns, get there early, and trade them for gift cards. I will then donate the gift cards to VCDL. If enough VCDL members did this, then there would be media attention AND VCDL would benefit from the whole thing.

The Gun Buy backs really bother me, but until I went to one in my community I could not really explain it well. Of course there are the logical reasons, they don't work or they divert scarce resources, but that was not my main objection. There was, I felt, something inherently evil about them but I could not explain it.While at the one in South Norfolk it hit me. The entire waiting in line to turn in your guns thing was really creepy. I got a shiver like somebody was walking over my grave. It seemed to be a foreshadowing of our possible future, turning in our guns to the police. It made me realize why I really hate these gun buy backs. The voluntary turn ins are conditioning people to accept this role as normal so that when they are no longer voluntary they will be seen as normal. I know now that this is evil, we must object.

tripledipper

imported post

I usually take a pro-LE stance on most matters, but not on this one. Thundar reported thatuniformed LEO"s wereon theline, assumingly there to get in on thegift card offer. They should have been ineligible to receive any form of remuneration for what they turned in.:uhoh:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

tripledipper wrote:
I usually take a pro-LE stance on most matters, but not on this one. Thundar reported thatuniformed LEO"s wereon theline, assumingly there to get in on thegift card offer. They should have been ineligible to receive any form of remuneration for what they turned in.:uhoh:
Good job Thundar!

Tripledipper, I'm interested in your reasoning for that? As long as the guns were legally obtained as an individual, why should they be treated differently than anyone else that wants to trade junkers for a money like object.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
tripledipper wrote:
Good job Thundar!

Tripledipper, I'm interested in your reasoning for that? As long as the guns were legally obtained as an individual, why should they be treated differently than anyone else that wants to trade junkers for a money like object.

Ths one is a hard call. I tend to agree with Trippledipper. The purpose of expending PUBLIC funds in this way was REPORTEDLY to gett guns off the street that MIGHT be used criminally. As we all know, the premise is just so much bull. But in this case (according to all the reports) we have uniformed police turning in a reportedly high percentage of the guns.

While I understand Peters point that everyone should be equal in these things, it just rubs the wrong way somehow.

Of course I am presuming that the weapons that were turned in by the Police Officers were already unavailable for criminal use.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
peter nap wrote:
tripledipper wrote:
Good job Thundar!

Ths one is a hard call. I tend to agree with Trippledipper. The purpose of expending PUBLIC funds in this way was REPORTEDLY to gett guns off the street that MIGHT be used criminally. As we all know, the premise is just so much bull. But in this case (according to all the reports) we have uniformed police turning in a reportedly high percentage of the guns.

While I understand Peters point that everyone should be equal in these things, it just rubs the wrong way somehow.
Actually....I hadn't thought of the PUBLIC FUNDS involved. Considering that, it does seem inappropriate.

TFred

imported post

Allowing uniformed police officers to participate in a program that is advertised to the public as a way to remove "future crime guns" from the street just adds another whole layer of ridiculous to the entire program.

Please note, I do not mean to imply that police officers should not participate. I think it's a hoot! It just makes everyone involved in running the program appear that much more clueless.

TFred

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

Anyone watch WTKR 3 this morning? The reporter covering the story Dominique Ben was handed a gun, she looked at it without clearing it and had it pointed at the woman who handed it to her during the interview. I e-mailed her the following.

During your interview with the lady with the silver colored 22 pistol, she handed you a firearm. When you took it from her you never checked it to see if it was loaded and you looked at it while pointing it at her. This is how people have accidents with firearms. I would like to suggest if your going to handle guns in your anti-gun news stories that you please get some firearm training for the safety of yourself and others.
I would also like to know how you determined in your news story that these guns were "on the street." As opposed to being in peoples homes who just didn't want them. Your reporting on the story made it seem as if firearms and firearm owners only use them in crimes and showed a prejudice against all gun owners.

tripledipper

imported post

Go, Glenglocker, Go! The Pilot had similar nonsense about "street" guns andoffered thehypothetical scenariothat if they were in a home it would berobbed and they would wind upbeing used in the street. I would like to see somestatisitics which confirm that theory.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

I got a reply from her, here it is.
Thank you for your email…
Actually before we started filming that part of the segment, we had been talking already and looking at the gun (which I made sure was unloaded).
Not only was the gun NOT loaded, I saw that the clip had been removed as well.
As a wife of a law enforcement officer, I know how important it is to be careful with guns. I hear it all of the time!!!
If you look at the story again, I never mentioned that they were coming off the streets. I actually made sure to have an interview with an officer at the end of my story who said that they were mostly coming from homes and that these are the guns that could perhaps be stolen and used in a crime.

What you are probably referring to is the “teases” or a shorter version that was written. I didn’t write them but I will make sure that they are changed for further newscasts.

Thank you,
Domonique